Honeymoon......

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoyRide

Reaction score
Hey all,

Looking for some road trip advise. Imp and I are planning a June wedding and want to spend our honeymoon on our FJR's. We have no definite route established as of yet and neither of us has any real experience putting something like this together. There is a wealth of information when searching through all of the online resources. Am hoping that some of you out there might offer some 'first hand' info/opinions regarding routes or resources that we may incorporate into our plans. Imp wants to spend time in the high desert....I want some twistie time....We have discussed New Mexico, Nevada, and Colorado so far.

As I said...not sure where to start. Any advise would be appreciated! :yahoo:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd go check out all the WFO-5 info from our stay in Reno. Plenty of whatever kind of riding you want, and nightlife. The routes are even laid out with maps for GPS available!

I'd go check out all the WFO-5 info from our stay in Reno. Plenty of whatever kind of riding you want, and nightlife. The routes are even laid out with maps for GPS available!
See, now I'd say check out Utah. I 'spose you don't get the nightlife there, though. Awesome roads and scenery though in south and southeastern Utah.

See, now I'd say check out Utah. I 'spose you don't get the nightlife there, though. Awesome roads and scenery though in south and southeastern Utah.
Thanks for the suggestions...

Scenery and roads are priority....of course a well place microbrewery would be more than welcome! :drinks:

Thanks for the suggestions...

Scenery and roads are priority....of course a well place microbrewery would be more than welcome! :drinks:
Not exactly miro...........but an interesting place to visit. be sure to check out their porcelain factory next to the brewery.

Coors Golden CO

And then the roads begin.

Great idea, good luck for the future and wherever you end up. Ireland and Scotland are good, bit of swiming to do first though!

Two of my favorite places in that area are Santa Fe, NM and Durango, CO. Also, the road from Durango to Ouray is a "must do."
We have done some reading about the Million Dollar Highway....sounds truely incredible. Santa Fe is also on our list! Any particular 'must see' destinations?

Thanks for the suggestions...Scenery and roads are priority....of course a well place microbrewery would be more than welcome! :drinks:
Park City and Moab both have microbrewries. Now if beer's your thing, it doesn't get any better than the Pacific Northwest. Great scenery too. I think Portland's got more breweries per capita than any place on the planet.

Two of my favorite places in that area are Santa Fe, NM and Durango, CO. Also, the road from Durango to Ouray is a "must do."
We have done some reading about the Million Dollar Highway....sounds truely incredible. Santa Fe is also on our list! Any particular 'must see' destinations?
Santa Fe and the surrounding area have a lot to see and do...especially if you like Southwestern arts, crafts and museums. In SF, there are lots of hotels/motels but we almost always stay at Garrett's Desert Inn. It's reasonable and is w/in walking distance of the Plaza. It also has good parking for bikes just outside the ground floor room doors in a lot surrounded by the motel on 3 sides. There are many good restaurants to choose from...again we always make time for Upper Crust Pizza and the Pink Adobe...both w/in walking distance of Garrett's.

Durango is a great little town to visit...also has lots of motels/hotels and restaurants. There we always go to The Ore House for steaks. Mesa Verde is a short distance away and is home of the Anasazi cliff dwellings.

You're gonna love that area. Take lots of pictures...

EDIT: Here's a picture I took of Ouray as I was headed south to Durango...a bike trip out west in June, '06...

Ouray.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
whereever you decide to go, make sure you go thru knoxville to see the SEC championship trophy that we will have after we beat lsu for the SEC championship :lol:

congrats on your upcoming marriage

Santa Fe and the surrounding area have a lot to see and do...especially if you like Southwestern arts, crafts and museums. In SF, there are lots of hotels/motels but we almost always stay at Garrett's Desert Inn. It's reasonable and is w/in walking distance of the Plaza. It also has good parking for bikes just outside the ground floor room doors in a lot surrounded by the motel on 3 sides. There are many good restaurants to choose from...again we always make time for Upper Crust Pizza and the Pink Adobe...both w/in walking distance of Garrett's.

Durango is a great little town to visit...also has lots of motels/hotels and restaurants. There we always go to The Ore House for steaks. Mesa Verde is a short distance away and is home of the Anasazi cliff dwellings.

You're gonna love that area. Take lots of pictures...

EDIT: Here's a picture I took of Ouray as I was headed south to Durango...a bike trip out west in June, '06...

Ouray.jpg
Thank you so much...that is exactly the kind of advise/info we are looking for. It is always nice to know the best places to eat/sleep/grab a brew! The Anasazi cliff dwellings are actually one of our 'must see items' and we are planning to post lots of pics.

Riding on your honeymoon, how is this thread not full of innuendo? What is this place coming to? :eek:

I live near Park City, UT. Yep, the drinking laws are a bit screwed up, but believe it or not, they do make some good beer in Park City; although it is limited to 4.0 on tap. We just got back from Chico Hot Springs in Montana. It's right at the North entrance to Yellowstone. Beautiful scenery all the way up there. No TVs in the rooms There's a cool bar next to the hot springs pool. There is horseback riding and fishing. Make reservations. They book up quickly year round. Also, think about Jackson, WY and The Grand Tetons. Great area to ride. Just look out for the buffalo, moose and elk. They put a hurtin' on a FJR. Jackson has a lot of good night life and this is off season for skiing, but peak for the parks. Moab is awesome. Look at the highway between Durango and Grand Junction Colorado. That's my two cents. Have fun and be safe.