Hooking Chatterbox up for Intercom

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luvtoride

My Indian name is "Pants On Fire"
Reaction score
Howdy folks, looking at setting my Chatterbox X1 up for intercom. It has only been used as a bike to bike radio up to this point... but have had requests from a passenger for talky-talky.

Has anyone done this? I expect so. My system is handlebar mounted... its not on my helmet. I am looking for info on what I'll need as far as wiring, etc.

I am wondering how a PTT button would work or do I HAVE TO use VOX? I am thinking on that & do not see a way to plug up PTT for passenger.

I am aware that the headsets need to be of like quality such as noise canceling headset up front = noise canceling headset in the passenger position.

The literature that comes with the unit is not very descriptive. I would appreciate info from a real world user.

TIA, Heidi

Howdy folks, looking at setting my Chatterbox X1 up for intercom. It has only been used as a bike to bike radio up to this point... but have had requests from a passenger for talky-talky.
Has anyone done this? I expect so. My system is handlebar mounted... its not on my helmet. I am looking for info on what I'll need as far as wiring, etc.

I am wondering how a PTT button would work or do I HAVE TO use VOX? I am thinking on that & do not see a way to plug up PTT for passenger.

I am aware that the headsets need to be of like quality such as noise canceling headset up front = noise canceling headset in the passenger position.

The literature that comes with the unit is not very descriptive. I would appreciate info from a real world user.

TIA, Heidi
My wife and I have been using Chatterbox products for over 12 years now. I currently have the X2 I believe. I have the coil type cord plugged into my chatterbox and then she has the same cord plugged into her helmet headset. I also play a MP3 so we can both listen to music. I have found that the PTT button is the best way to go. The VOX can be a pain to get it sensitive enough so my wife's voice can activate it but then it is to sensitive that road noise sets it off. So we use the PTT and I have it mounted on my left handle bar and I just have my wife tap me on the shoulder if she needs me to open the mic and talk. Here is a pic of my set up. It is all in my tankbag.

bagsconnectiontankbag004.jpg

Eric

My wife and I basically run 2 separate systems and use the PTT. That way she can listen to her whatever it is she listens to and I can enjoy mine. Only issue is that now and again when either one of us keys up we get feedback. Normally if we change a channel it takes care of it. Been eyeballing the starcom but I think they like it a little more than I do.

Some other issues with the chatterbox is, at least for me, is the plug that the helmet cord goes into seems to loosen. Been through several units now. If I were to add up all that cost and save it, I would have a starcom system by now.

My 2 cents.

My system is like VTFJR13 except mounted on the left bar for changing channels on the fly. We use ptt also but I spliced in a simple two wire cable w/ a ptt switch that runs back and coils under the seat. When needed, my wife clips her small momentary switch to her jacket. Everything works well as long as the mode is set correctly.

I actually think I have a good idea of what I'll need to complete this system. Biggest concern is a PTT button. There is only 1 plug for PTT. It has been mentioned to me to put a splitter on to split PTT function. Maybe the tap tap on the shoulder might be a better solution.

Does anyone know if they make such an animal as this splitter?

I may go the route of getting another unit. I have been told that it is possible to make the units capable of being near each other w/o feedback. I may go that route.

Gotta' speak with that person.

Last edited by a moderator:
My system is like VTFJR13 except mounted on the left bar for changing channels on the fly. We use ptt also but I spliced in a simple two wire cable w/ a ptt switch that runs back and coils under the seat. When needed, my wife clips her small momentary switch to her jacket. Everything works well as long as the mode is set correctly.
Sychron, I'd be interested in seeing a pic or advice about your PTT splice job.

I use to run the Chatterbox on my cruiser. Mounted the unit on the handlebars and used keyboard extension cables to run the headset hookups under the tank and seats. Radio Shack has a splitter that you plug into the PTT socket and then you can plug in two PTT buttons.

The way I do it is have the wife with the Chatterbox mounted to her helmet, or if you have a place near the rear that would be OK too. That way, she can use the button on the box when she wants to talk and I use the PTT handlebar mounted. I don't like the VOX.

I use to run the Chatterbox on my cruiser. Mounted the unit on the handlebars and used keyboard extension cables to run the headset hookups under the tank and seats. Radio Shack has a splitter that you plug into the PTT socket and then you can plug in two PTT buttons.
Copron, the info that i needed. Mucho thanks