Hooterbuilt Aux fuel cell...what you think???

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think most guys sit around and just over analyze everything. Some say a electric pump may fail... I guess thats why Yamaha puts one in the main tank, because there so unreliable. Smitty :glare:
:clapping: Yes, you never can know when you can rely on that new fangled electrical technology.

Of course I think the stators are where we've seen most issues. The connector technology on those is just terrible. :)

So....not to belabor this but to keep me from doing something silly as I development my aux tank...
The requirement that it needs to be attached to the frame... What if it is attached to the production FJR luggage rack?
Mounting the typical 4-5 gallon cell on the stock plastic rack alone is asking for eventually trouble. You can mount it there if you like, just don't bring it to the Start Line of the IBR, because I'm most likely not going to pass it. You are much better off just buying a Givi Rack and bolting your cell's rack to it.

Regardless, you guys are free to do anything you want to do when mounting an aux cell on your bike. It's only when you are entered into the Iron Butt Rally and have to pass Tech Inspection that you need to look hard at how you approach implementing an aux fuel setup.

Dale

I am concerned and confused a little, I purchased a BLM fuel cell system for my RT that has passed two IBR tech inspections and it is mounted to a plastic seat pan. Is this no longer acceptable for rallies that require a tech inspection??

Darrell

Looks like some of the Gold Wingers also attach to hand rails very well I assume, or maybe they don't use them in IBR. . . .

Last edited by a moderator:
it's nice to see this thread surface again! :) As i am the proud owner of this fine piece of machinery! :D