Horn 12v+ trigger-2008: which wire?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WTP07

Reaction score
I'm looking to trigger a strobe module for my aux headlights with my horn button.

I was reading that the horn may be ground switched?  

Can anyone shed some light?  (pun intended) 

I'm aware that it will probably not be legal, but I can live with that if I'm seen when I need to be. 

Cheers? 

I'm confused-  the horn would be used to signal someone of wrong-doing.  But (around here) a flashing headlight signals a cheerful, "You're good, go ahead!", like someone is waiting to change a lane or merge.  Surely you're not removing the horns altogether, are you?

I'm confused-  the horn would be used to signal someone of wrong-doing.  But (around here) a flashing headlight signals a cheerful, "You're good, go ahead!", like someone is waiting to change a lane or merge.  Surely you're not removing the horns altogether, are you?
No, no.  This isn't a "flashing, you can go ahead" , this is a "hey shithead, your pulling out in front of me" strobe.... More like emergency vehicles.

My dual FIAMM blasters are staying there.  

Not being a dick, just being confused.  How the the receiver of a flashing message know the difference?  Someone is going to misinterpret your aux light/headlight signaling and run you over or pull out in front of you b/c, well, you signaled him/her/it that it was ok.  I understand your intention, will everyone you don't get to talk to as well?  I think you are making a bad, bad mistake doing this.

Not being a dick, just being confused.  How the the receiver of a flashing message know the difference?  Someone is going to misinterpret your aux light/headlight signaling and run you over or pull out in front of you b/c, well, you signaled him/her/it that it was ok.  I understand your intention, will everyone you don't get to talk to as well?  I think you are making a bad, bad mistake doing this.
How often do you use your horn? How often when you use your horn do you wish they would see you also. I see what you're saying but I think you're picturing the wrong thing in your head. I've honked at cars moving into my lane, or oncoming cars being across the line and in my lane. Lots of people have their big lights wired to their horn just for that reason. No idea how the "strobe" function will play into that though. 

The whole idea is not to startle anyone but to get their attention so they know that you are there.  Clearwater provides specific instructions to wire the lights so they flash on (or go to full intensity) when the horn button is pressed.  My system is set up that way - Clearwater Ericas normally set to minimum intensity.  Sometimes I will use the high beam switch without the horn (which also brings Ericas to full intensity) to express my displeasure to a dickhead driver.  They notice - those things are awesomely bright.

I used the OEM power-to-horn as my trigger (so the horn button fires the horn). I ran power to the relay back to the battery/DIY power block. Oh yeah. I used a relay.