Horn Guard

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leghorn

Reaction score
When turning the handlebars to the left, my tank bag activates the horn. Does anyone market a "horn guard" for an '04 FJR that would block contact between the tankbag and horn button? The December issue of MCN (Page 25) depicts a horn guard for the K1200GT by Wunderlich, but Wunderlich seems to cater to BMW only.

Mine doesn't hit the horn, but it hits the kill switch going to the right. I've just learned to keep my hand over the kill switch to "protect" it.

Interesting idea - so just how do you hit it with your thumb when needed?
Leave it to you Hal, to ask the important question. Might be a safety issue. I wonder how a guard could be designed that is "quick release" in an emergency.

EDIT: I found an example, but still fuzzy how it works.

BMW Horn Guard

Last edited by a moderator:
Here it a better link to show how this works,I was also looking for a horn guard. www.wunderlichamerica.com

Somebody was making and selling them on the st-owners.com forum (if memory serves) Basically, a piece of sheet metal cut, bent and drilled to mount on one of the clutch lever mounting bolts. It didn't prevent you from thumbing the horn button, but offered some protection from unwanted tooting.

I don't know if an ST horn protector would fit the FJR, but the clutch mount and switch pod look very similar. You can make your own if you have a drill, a vise (yeah, I know, you have vices but for this you need a vise) and a piece of aluminum. Sorry I don't have a pix of mine - sold it with the ST.

pete

First, we need to understand how the horn "button" on the BMW works. Looking at it, it seems that it's a slide switch, rather than a button?

If that's the case, then we understand how the guard works - it prevents the switch from sliding, but still allows one's thumb to slide it when necessary. A button would be blocked, and inoperable using a similar guard.

Is this the case?

Yeah, it can be a little embarrassing. I was trying to do some maneuvering in tight quarters in a parking lot awhile back. Blasted the horn when I pulled the horn button into my tankbag. Startled the cute young lady taking a smoke about 10 yards away. Stupid grin, mumbled explanation, red face etc.

P5050512.jpg

I finally got tired of making an ass out of myself. (A horn guard isn't going to completely fix that, but it's a start.)

I had a local machinist make this for me. It is a good heavy-duty steel, so it works by pushing my tank bag away as I turn the handlebars while still allowing my thumb access. He's already got the template, so if anyone else wants to take the easy way out let me know and I can give you his contact info. (No affiliation other than I like mine, no kickbacks, etc, etc)

When turning the handlebars to the left, my tank bag activates the horn. Does anyone market a "horn guard" for an '04 FJR that would block contact between the tankbag and horn button? The December issue of MCN (Page 25) depicts a horn guard for the K1200GT by Wunderlich, but Wunderlich seems to cater to BMW only.
Also, bear in mind that it's a DAMN GOOD THING that the 'puter knows your bike is already running when you keep hitting the starter switch when you turn to the right! :lol:

heheh.. sorry, you brought back some memories of a year or two ago. Buddy and I are in the middle of a small town on a Sunday, hopelessly lost like usual. We pass a church with the congregation standing around the front and decide to pull a U turn and ask for directions.

WAAAAAHAHHHHHHHHHH.!!

My bud damn near drove up on the township trying to get it to stop HAHAHAH!

Somebody was making and selling them on the st-owners.com forum (if memory serves) Basically, a piece of sheet metal cut, bent and drilled to mount on one of the clutch lever mounting bolts. It didn't prevent you from thumbing the horn button, but offered some protection from unwanted tooting.
I don't know if an ST horn protector would fit the FJR, but the clutch mount and switch pod look very similar. You can make your own if you have a drill, a vise (yeah, I know, you have vices but for this you need a vise) and a piece of aluminum. Sorry I don't have a pix of mine - sold it with the ST.

pete
Don't have my ST any more either but here is the thread for the ST guard. https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread...rn+button+guard

Basically, a piece of aluminum under the switch housing that has a curved piece that comes out flush with the horn button, but below it. The aluminum hits the tank bag.............

P5050512.jpg

I finally got tired of making an ass out of myself. (A horn guard isn't going to completely fix that, but it's a start.)

I had a local machinist make this for me. It is a good heavy-duty steel, so it works by pushing my tank bag away as I turn the handlebars while still allowing my thumb access. He's already got the template, so if anyone else wants to take the easy way out let me know and I can give you his contact info. (No affiliation other than I like mine, no kickbacks, etc, etc)
That's a clean design, but I'm not sure I could get my fat finger under that, especially in a hasty situation. But I like it.

I'm not sure I could get my fat finger under that, especially in a hasty situation.
You'd be surprised! I was playing with it yesterday and I assure you that it leaves plenty of space for me to accidentally actuate it with my thumb. But, hey - I am an exceptionally hard case, so expecting it to completely eliminate ALL sources of horn embarassment is a lot to ask from a little piece of steel. :lol:

The important thing is that it's easy to use when I need to.