horn

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I started the install on my bike with the idea of splitting the horn in 2 parts and putting them on both sides of the fairing.

After a little looking around and seeing what a pain it was going to be I looked at a few more options and found that I could mount the compresser under the toolbox slot and put just the horn up front.

After about 2 hours work fabricrating brackets and holes I have the compresser part done and was planing on doing the horn part Monday.

Work just called and canceled that plan..I have to jet to Mexico in the early morning and wont be back for maybe 3 days.

I have been taking pictures so I will try to post them when done.

If IM not mistaken this spot for the compressor will only work with non abs.

I started the install on my bike with the idea of splitting the horn in 2 parts and putting them on both sides of the fairing.After a little looking around and seeing what a pain it was going to be I looked at a few more options and found that I could mount the compresser under the toolbox slot and put just the horn up front.

After about 2 hours work fabricrating brackets and holes I have the compresser part done and was planing on doing the horn part Monday.

Work just called and canceled that plan..I have to jet to Mexico in the early morning and wont be back for maybe 3 days.

I have been taking pictures so I will try to post them when done.

If IM not mistaken this spot for the compressor will only work with non abs.
Good idea, BUT.......you'll get a longer delay in response when you hit the horn button.

Email me a pic of the compressor mounted and I can make a harness for you.

Ok I finally finished the instalation of the horn on the bike and the sound is deffinatly loud..

I used around 4' 3" of fuel line but the lag is maybe a tenth of a second..

I thing the tenth of a second delay is way better than the instant horn that might not be heard.

The compressor fits nicely in the space under the tool box tray.

2201140270103143600S500x500Q85.jpg

The mounting system wasn't too hard compared to the front section.

I seperated the 2 sections and dug up some unused brackets from who knows whare.

2853250590103143600S500x500Q85.jpg

This allowed me to move the unit further away from the frame

2333619720103143600S500x500Q85.jpg

I was going to drill 2 holes in the frame and mound it there but the tool box tray was in the way no matter where I put it so i just used the hole from the tool box and drilled a coresponding hole in the other side of the rale.

2102976180103143600S500x500Q85.jpg

2411311680103143600S500x500Q85.jpg

I had to put a full size washer behind the plastic so it wouldnt get broke.

2601636920103143600S500x500Q85.jpg

I used lock tight most places. This actually looks like a decent fit.

2866430800103143600S500x500Q85.jpg

Next I ran the fuel line for preasure to the horn, this turned out a little harder to rout without kinking it or running it in a hot area.

2521466110103143600S500x500Q85.jpg

I ran the hose to the other side while at the back of the bike trying to crossover where I could save a few inches of hose and decreace delay

2008815820103143600S500x500Q85.jpg

There wasnt much room under the tank.

2642059240103143600S500x500Q85.jpg

2831134480103143600S500x500Q85.jpg

I'm hoping this rout keeps the line safe.

2151859500103143600S500x500Q85.jpg

I had a 5/16 nipple but it didnt seem to want to fit so i found a splice nipple for an air hose that was the right size and i was still able to use the O ring under it

2351594950103143600S500x500Q85.jpg

I used an old ear plug anytime I had to cut anything near the horn. Hear I cut off one side of the compressor holder and saved the other half as my mount.

2322915070103143600S500x500Q85.jpg

I then slid some bushings into the air space so the bolt could be tightened without damaging the plastic.

2000725120103143600S500x500Q85.jpg

I found a couple of thin pieces of stainless that I used to stiffen up the horn mount area

2581726720103143600S500x500Q85.jpg

These rubber looking washers are acutally rubbers... oops ... rubbers for nozzels like a sylicone tube.. I just cut the center out so it would fit over the top of the bolt and even the stress out once again to protect the plastic.

2492449280103143600S500x500Q85.jpg

My original plan was to use the top hole to mount the horn but that put it just a tad too high for the side fairing so I drilled a middle hole instead.

2828325370103143600S500x500Q85.jpg

After mounting the horn and attaching the air line I had to tie the line back a little to keep it away from the forks. That sure is a nice looking tie wrap color

2775660090103143600S500x500Q85.jpg

The old horn wire is still hanging where the horn was so it is allmost in the same spot.

2135765640103143600S500x500Q85.jpg

I cut the side fairing just a little bit bigger than i needed to keep smooth lines

2279044260103143600S500x500Q85.jpg

And the final chapter is ..... surprise .... it reall doesnt look too bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good job!

I'm surprised that you didn't mount the compressor on the right side horn mount, considering you seem to have a good grasp on the whole install. The hose would've ended up about 2" long.

Hell, you got THAT far with it. What's one more bracket? It fits nicely on the 1st gen bikes.

right now the horn air exit is facing backwards blowing directly through a manufactured vent in the left side fairing... This seams pleanty loud but I would like to compare it with another bike with the same horn when I get the chance... If its enough difference I will move miine a little and spin it around but I'm guessing I'll be ok like this for now.

I have a couple horn questions. I realize that by asking them here I am running the risk of be accused of hijacking this thread. It was either that or start a new thread who's destiny would be to end up as a NEPRT so it's really a no win situation for me. :)

Thanks for the write up on the install (vandy) and all the photos here are a big help. I think I'll go a different route though and stick with the Magnum Blasters. So here are my questions...

There is a lot of talk about the loudness and dB ratings or claimed dB ratings, of the different aftermarket horn choices, Nautilus and Blasters seem to be the most commonly discussed choices but does anyone know the dB rating of the stock horns? Has anyone with a meter measured them? I did a lot of searching and couldn't find any reports of how loud the stock horns are.

Another question, does anyone have the dimensions of the Magnum Blasters? I measured the stock horns and they are about 3.185 Inches in diameter and about 1.15 Inches thick at the thickest part not including the mounting bracket or anything that sticks out behind the mounting bracket. I ask about the dimensions because I have found posts where the clearance with the front forks seemed to be a concern. Is clearance still a concern? Will the Magnum Blasters fit without hitting the forks in any situation? Forks fully compressed and fully turned to lock on one side for example. I would really rather not have to worry about parts mashing together. If clearance is still a problem, I'm wondering if there are (and may explore) other horn options that perhaps someone hasn't tried yet.

I would like to have a louder horn option but I also want to keep the install simple and clean looking. If I can minimize the cutting, routing tubing for a remote air compressor, etc. that would be best.

I think I read somewhere that stalk horns were like 97 dbs or somewhere in that area but I would have to find it again.

Dont quote me on that one

I cheated, changing out only the right horn with a high pitch blaster and didn't use a relay. It is 100% louder. I am very satisified, but its not quite as loud as my older BMW's. One blaster only draws alittle more current than the stock horn(I tested it with a meter). I can't even hear the left horn anymore and should just disconnect it to help the circuit. It is a tight space to work and I had to extend the length of the wires a little.

It is a tight space to work and I had to extend the length of the wires a little.
All my lower tupperware is off right now because I am working on my 8000 mile service and because I flushed the coolant, so accessing the horns at the moment is a piece of cake.

I used the Freeway Blasters--some say the same as Magnum Blasters, but I think they are a few db's the junior to the Magnums. I made two new mounting brackets the same size as the stock brackets minus the rubber inserts as the threaded stud on the FB's was too short. No cutting, plenty of clearence, plenty loud, but still used relay. It was doable with the fairing on. If the magnums are the same size, they shoud work the same, but with two I would use a relay. You should really use the two, high and low notes.

I wanted to add to my above post...the brackets that I made has a bend on the upper 3rd, pushing the horn back toward the radiator. This coupled with rotating the horn and pivioting the bracket at its attachment point gave me the results I desired. I forgot that I had to put a bend in the bracket until now. I used aluminum stock readily availlabe at home stores, hobby shops, etc.

NOW I find this thread... :rolleyes: and I thought I was breaking ground with a Nautilus install on my '05... FJRandy only beat me by a couple years... :lol: ... although I did my install a bit differently... I was able to do it without separating it into 2 parts...

...So I had a pair of Magnum Blasters, but had heard a few of my friends' Nautilus installs on other non-FJR bikes, and was impressed. So I snagged myself one to see if I could fit it into the fairing as a replacement for the Mags...

NewHorninpackage.jpg

NewHornoutofpackage.jpg

By the way... I'm sure everyone knows this, but having the openings of your horns like the Magnums facing the front wheel is a great way to pick up road debris. Here's a pic of what came out of my Magnums after taking them off, and swirling them counterclockwise for a few seconds. And this is the second time I emptied them... did it once before.

Gravel2.jpg

So I basically mounted the whole kit-and-caboodle on the left horn mount... but wasn't comfortable using only one bracket extending out to the left to mate with the standard mounting screw. So I also put another bracket in vertically attached to the hidden hexhead screw under the fairing that holds the glovebox in place. That made it much more sturdy.

NewHorninitslocation.jpg

Topbracket.jpg

Had to widen the opening a bit more than the Magnums required, but not a huge amount. Dremel took care of that quickly...

Still have clearance between the horns and the forks... probably just about the same as the Magnums when the bars are at full lock to the left.

Clearance3.jpg

Everything fit in the space nicely... mounted the relay in the same place as before... wiring was a bit simpler since there's only one horn as opposed to 2 with the Magnums.

Topofnewhornandbracket.jpg

The final product covers about the same amount of Radiator airflow... and will probably collect gravel/bugs in similar amounts.

NewHorninsidecowling.jpg

These mofo's are loud.... you think the Magnums are loud, but these seem much louder to me... especially in a side-by-side test.

I used the Freeway Blasters--some say the same as Magnum Blasters, but I think they are a few db's the junior to the Magnums. I made two new mounting brackets the same size as the stock brackets minus the rubber inserts as the threaded stud on the FB's was too short. No cutting, plenty of clearence, plenty loud, but still used relay. It was doable with the fairing on. If the magnums are the same size, they shoud work the same, but with two I would use a relay. You should really use the two, high and low notes.
Where did you mount the relay?