hot start

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRay

Reaction score
this has been discussed before but i couldn't find it. the symtoms are that at least 30% of the time when i try to start the bike hot after not sitting long it will act like something is bound up or maybe low current ??????? the second attemp it starts like normal but the clock resets as do the trip meters. i have removed plugs looking for fuel as if an injector was leaking but no sign of it . used to run in to that a lot in diesels. i have checked all the connections in the starter circut and installed a second ground circut. the batt is fine and the bike runs great. this happened a few times when it was new and now with 45k it is becoming more of a pain in the ass. it never happens cold so temp has something to do with it. any resonable response would be helpfull.

went off the island today and it screwed up twice. stopped at the dealer to ask questions but the mech was busy. scratch your heads there must be one of you out there with the answer.

scratch your heads there must be one of you out there with the answer.
Nope, but I've had the same thing happen to me twice, upon immediately trying to restart the bike when I pulled a 'squid engine kill' manuever from takeoff. The bike wouldn't turn over, so I'd wait a second or two, then it would restart, but the clock would reset, like the battery was zapped.

Sounds like a bad connection, i would check at the battery, Starter solinoid and the ground connection to (?) frame or motor.

been there done that on the connections but i think i will buy a battery just because it going on 4 years old and spring is here. maybe there is something in the batt that goes open once in a while but i can't think of what it would be and it is temp related. ????????

You might be on the right track thinking battery. At four years oldm it just may not have the oomph to turn over when the starter circuit is hot. The resistance goes up pretty dramatically when everthing from the starter to the postive battery cable gets some temperature into it.

My bike has done it since it was new w/ a new factory battery in it. I think that the fan is engaging and it's too much for the system along w/ the starter motor engaging. The techs could find nothing wrong and it only does it when 4 bars or so.

Sorry folks tisn't the battery! I've done that and it didn't ehlp. The issue seems to be a hot starter drawing more current than the batt can provide. Thus the resetting of the clock. The starter just sucked avery electron the batt had available and the electronics see that as "disconnected", if you have a Power Commander installed you may have lost your map as well.

Just a thought. Possibly the starter selonoid?

Till it's sorted I don't try to restart immediately. When I do restart I hit the start button briefly to determine if the engine will crank. This seems to avoid havent to reset the clock et. all

Happens regularly on my '04, both with the original OEM battery and the replacement (Westco) I got last year. Maybe a bit less when the battery is new, but it started happening again pretty quick.

I asked about it in one of the forums and got a thorough explanation regarding bubles in the acid attaching to the battery electrodes and lowering its capacity when hot. The first attempt to start doesn't work because there's not enough juice with the bubles and all. but it does somehow eliminate the bubles so the second start works immediately.

Seems to be a result of the battery being a bit too small for the FJR's motor. I do live in a city and the motor does get hot pretty often in stop-go traffic.

No solution was suggested other than resetting the clock or taking longer breaks...

Let me know if you come up with a work-around.

Bennie

I would also check the connections at the starter and at your ground (and at the battery cables). Just slight corrosion (not even visible) could cause increased resistance in the circuit and when the bike is hot, resistance goes up, maybe bringing it just to the threshold of an overdraw, which the battery can't handle.

Look also to the charging system. When the bike is cold, or has sat for awhile, a healthy battery will charge itself back up, within reason. If the charging system is not putting in enough juice to replace electrons running out of the battery during operation, you might be slowly losing voltage as you drive, especially if a lot of the driving is at slow engine speeds (sitting in traffic, etc). Are you running accessories? The FJR is not known for having much in the way of reserve charging capacity, so if the charging system is just a wee bit on the weak side, an electric vest could drain voltage down at slow engine speeds.

Oh, and after 4 years, I'd replace the battery regardless. Do it before the damn thing takes a dump and strands you someplace. 4 years is about it for a MC battery, if you ride much. +1 on the comments about clean terminals, too. They are a detail that should not be overlooked.

Hope this helps...