Hot Temp

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FLASH G

Reaction score
Hey, any tech's out there know if I have a problem concerning my 2007 FJR1300?

I was on a ride for about an hour through town getting a little crazy off and on and when I had to sit through 2 red lights (due to traffic signal not recognizing me or my sons bikes) my temp gauge went 2 notches over half. After saying the hell with it and burning through that red light it went back to half or less. Sitting through normal lights after that it wasn't going over half. Is this a known problem or should I get it checked out? The antifreeze seems to be at the correct level.

I appreciate all replies!!

Hey, any tech's out there know if I have a problem concerning my 2007 FJR1300?... my temp gauge went 2 notches over half.
Which is between 191 and 205 degrees according to the Bin-O-Facts....which it totally fine. I would only worry if it were 10 bars and/or the radiator cap vented.

Last edited by a moderator:
Temp - 2 notches over

Your question could have been written by me. My 08 did the same exact thing the other day and I had the same exact thoughts that you did. I did the same thing a few days later. It will do the same thing again and again I believe. It won't sit through two red lights when warm. I'm not concerned about such now but I do wonder what two red light sittings will bring when the temp hits 115 here. But to answer your question, I believe it's normal.

Temp - 2 notches over
Your question could have been written by me. My 08 did the same exact thing the other day and I had the same exact thoughts that you did. I did the same thing a few days later. It will do the same thing again and again I believe. It won't sit through two red lights when warm. I'm not concerned about such now but I do wonder what two red light sittings will bring when the temp hits 115 here. But to answer your question, I believe it's normal.

Thanks for your reply!! I've been waiting to have the recalled ECU changed and I figured now might be a good time to set it up. The service mgr. told me the overheat issue is normal. Just thought i'de let you know if you haven't talked to a service person yet. Again thanks for your reply!!

<snip> I do wonder what two red light sittings will bring when the temp hits 115 here.
What will happen is that the fan(s) will come on when the ECU tells them to, then the bike will cool down. If you stay stopped or in low speed traffic long enough, the bike will just cycle through this, fans cool it down, then it warms up, fans come back on and cool it down. This is normal for any FJR, (or car for that matter). The downside is that all that heat goes back towards the rider when you're just sitting still in traffic. Not always pleasant when you're roasting in your gear already. :)

My '04 has a different temp scale than the '06-on bikes, but does the same thing. Never lost any coolant or overheated.

Point of fact - Your bike did NOT overheat. It simply got warmer than it does when moving. Overheating is when it's 10 bars and puking coolant.

Last edited by a moderator:
The service mgr. told me the overheat issue is normal.
I think that's perception. It isn't overheating. People hear fans turn on and confuse hot air blowing on their legs and worry the bike's going to warp a head or something. That's a heat management issue and not a heat problem.

By nature of the modern, pressurized cooling system you're really not in danger until you approach 240 or 250 degrees. (That's 10 bars by the way) As long as things aren't boiling (and you'd have a cap pop if that happened) the system is working fine.