Hot Yamaha

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdisher

formerly Renegade, get used to it.
Reaction score
Hot Yamaha

Yamaha revises its FJR 1300, the sport-tourer that already commands 28% of its market segment and makes it even better

Article Here.

Clicky

So what about the premise of the article, that the FJR "needs" a fully automatic tranny with paddle shifters or that this feature is inevitable?

IMHO, the the AE is a cool gimmick and some people really like it. I just don't see people clamoring for the added weight, expense or maintenance issues associated with a fully automatic transmission. Let alone the loss of power at the rear wheel typically associated with an automatic tranny.

I think that with the AE, Yamaha has asserted technological leadership while listening to what riders really want.

I think an automatic would be a bridge too far.

Am I wrong?

Cheers,

Jim

So what about the premise of the article, that the FJR "needs" a fully automatic tranny with paddle shifters or that this feature is inevitable?
IMHO, the the AE is a cool gimmick and some people really like it. I just don't see people clamoring for the added weight, expense or maintenance issues associated with a fully automatic transmission. Let alone the loss of power at the rear wheel typically associated with an automatic tranny.

I think that with the AE, Yamaha has asserted technological leadership while listening to what riders really want.

Am I wrong?

Cheers,

Jim
It honestly comes down to what YOU want! The only "automatic" cycle I have ever ridden is a Suzuki Bergman Scooter. And in all honesty, it wasn't bad.

If Honda / Yamaha were to put an automatic on a bike, I honestly believe many would purchase it if it didn't take away from the reasons THEY ride.

Best Regards,

Shane

Hot YamahaYamaha revises its FJR 1300, the sport-tourer that already commands 28% of its market segment and makes it even better

Article Here.

Clicky
The September 2006 issue of MOTOR CYCLIST just awarded the BMW R1200RT as the Editor's Pick for Best Touring Bike.

Alternative Take: Honda Gold Wing.

Quoting from the editor at MC:

Our definition of touring has nothing to do with herding some two-wheeled living room through the twisty bits with visions of I-40 dancing in our heads. One shouldn't suffer from Lost Angeles to Fayetteville just to carve up the tastiest roads in Arkansas. The R1200RT inhales East Texas tedium as happily as it reels in the length of California's Coast Highway, which is why it waltzes off with the Best Touring Bike trophy for the second year in a row. The most luxurious iteration of BMW's 1170cc boxer is amazingly agile, with sufficient punch to steam past processionals of rental cars and motor homes. The electrically adjustable windscreen is there when you need it and out of the way when you don't. BMW's removable luggage is the best in the business. And there are enough optional amenities - from a heated seat to a CD player and GPS navigation - to make I-40 between Albuquerque and Amarillo almost tolerable - a minor miracle all by itself.

Comment:

While there is no denying that the R1200RT is a fine sport touring bike, and one I wouldn't mind owning. The bottom line is that my FJR AE is truly Sensational and Exhilerating to ride. It has No performance weaknesses or mechanical faults of any kind. It's gets better the more I ride because the learning curve takes some time to gain the experience needed learn all the nuances. Too bad the editors at Motor Cyclist did not even think it worthy to mention the FJR.

;)

SilverStreak

fjr1300ae_001.jpg

Gee, and I thought it was a nice little write up for our awesome bikes! I guess I skimmed past the stupid stuff :lol:

MHO, the the AE is a cool gimmick and some people really like it. I just don't see people clamoring for the added weight, expense or maintenance issues associated with a fully automatic transmission. Let alone the loss of power at the rear wheel typically associated with an automatic tranny.

I don't know if it'd be a bridge too far, but it wouldn't be a traditional automatic trasmission. They've already got the computer-contolled clutch and electric actuation of the gearbox. All they have to add is a switch for full auto and the intelligence to shift at the proper time. The result is a computer-contolled manual transmission with no loss of power and no more weight than the AE.

Am I wrong?

Cheers,

Jim
I don't think the premise of the article is a fully automatic tranny. It's a fully integrated paddle shifting system that controls the throttle while shifting via the paddles...F1 style. In other words you simply blip the paddle and the computer reduces revs, disengages the clutch, upshifts (or downshifts), re-engages the clutch, and returns the revs to your throttle imput setting. Thus the mention of the fly-by-wire throttle system on the R6. The throttle would not be controlled via throttle cables the the throttle bodies, rather through a computer cable linked to the computer controlled throttle...

It's the next sensible progression from where Yamaha has taken things.

I'm not going to worry about it...UNLESS they try to eliminate the standard clutch/shift model. If it brings more riders to the sport then it could be a good thing. If it brings more unthinking, non-concentrating people to an early demise, then......Darwinism at its finest! Except the "Newsies" would blame the bike and not the rider.

Hot Yamaha

Yamaha revises its FJR 1300, the sport-tourer that already commands 28% of its market segment and makes it even better

Article Here.

Clicky
The September 2006 issue of MOTOR CYCLIST just awarded the BMW R1200RT as the Editor's Pick for Best Touring Bike.

<snip>
My guess is that these yahoo's aren't looking at the FJR and RT in the same class anymore. Probably FJR <> GT. To put the Goldwing as the alternative they have to be looking at Pillion comfort and raw seat size ALONE and disregarding everything else.

I owned a Honda 600cc Silverwing Scooter before buying my '06 FJR.I owned it for four years and had 30,000 miles on it when sold.If someone would make a Sport Cruiser in a true auto with the power and ride of the FJR I would be first in line to buy it.I couldn't see spending the extra money for the push button AE because it's not an auto.I took that scooter on a 5400 round trip, so it wasn't just used for in town riding.

Hot Yamaha

Article Here.

Clicky

Quoting from the editor at MC:

Our definition of touring has nothing to do with herding some two-wheeled living room through the twisty bits with visions of I-40 dancing in our heads. One shouldn't suffer from Lost Angeles to Fayetteville just to carve up the tastiest roads in Arkansas. The R1200RT inhales East Texas tedium as happily as it reels in the length of California's Coast Highway, which is why it waltzes off with the Best Touring Bike trophy for the second year in a row. The most luxurious iteration of BMW's 1170cc boxer is amazingly agile, with sufficient punch to steam past processionals of rental cars and motor homes. The electrically adjustable windscreen is there when you need it and out of the way when you don't. BMW's removable luggage is the best in the business. And there are enough optional amenities - from a heated seat to a CD player and GPS navigation - to make I-40 between Albuquerque and Amarillo almost tolerable - a minor miracle all by itself.

Comment:

While there is no denying that the R1200RT is a fine sport touring bike, and one I wouldn't mind owning. The bottom line is that my FJR AE is truly Sensational and Exhilerating to ride. It has No performance weaknesses or mechanical faults of any kind. It's gets better the more I ride because the learning curve takes some time to gain the experience needed learn all the nuances. Too bad the editors at Motor Cyclist did not even think it worthy to mention the FJR.

;)

SilverStreak

fjr1300ae_001.jpg
Ditto on the learning curve. I was about ready to sell my AE the first day I rode it home from Cullman, AL. That was almost two weeks ago. I'm still in the learning curve but its FAR more enjoyable now. Not for sale!

Silverwing :rofl:

(Sorry Just had to do that)

Welcome to the Club ! :clapping: