How about a saftey tip from each member?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Me and moosehead have a habit of staggering....and slurring...and burping..etc. We also are very fond of trees.

Last edited by a moderator:
This topic may need to be reviewed in light of all the down riders, so....

back to the top of new posts.

When I was 15 I was almost home and had the car in front of me pull over to the curb & almost stop - then turn in front of me into a driveway. As with all riding you must be prepaired for the cagers as if they are out to get you, ride always looking for a way out.....BE AWARE of your surroundings at all times...

1. Never ride angry
I am an angry man, Does that mean I should never ride?

2. Never ride with even one drink under your belt...even that will affect your judgement

This would limit my riding time severely. I always have at least one drink under my belt. That's why I'm so angry...

3. Do safety checks on your bike..and often

4. Never ride above your head

I usually keep my head above my bike...

5. Don't booze it up the day before the big ride

Huh? That means I would never be able to ride

6. Never date or marry an ugly woman

Oh, damn... now you're getting personal. I'm not sure if I married an ugly woman. I can't tell cause I'm half in the bag all the time.

7. Watch for those on a cell phone...perrsonally, I have almost been slammed a few times becaus of this nasty habit.

98% of all cagers are on the cell phone. It's a fact. Better just stay home and get drunk.

8. Never put yourself in a lane position which would allow someone else to share the lane.

I don't even share a joint, nevermind a lane.

9. Stay out of other drivers/riders blind spots

OK... but what about my blind spots?

10. Ride often to keep your skills up....riding 1000 miles a year won't do it.

With the prior 9 rules how can I ride often? I'll never achieve the mastery of this...
See notes in above quote...

I love the "don't pee on an electric fence" thing. My grandpa used to put one around his garden because one of the local dogs, german shephard, use to go pee in his garden. Grampa saw him coming up the street one time and quickly turned on the fence. The dog hiked his leg and peed right on the fence. He shot across the yard and down the street like a bolt with his hiked leg still in the air, lock in place by the jolt of electricity he aparantly received. Just way too funny!! :yahoo:

Give them time... whenever you zip in behind them, give them time to notice you.

Give them time... to do something stupid that would kill you. They will do it!

Give them time... to think about just how badly they wish they were riding your bike right now.

Give them time... to really get stoked over your girlfriend's ass while she's cleaning your shield.

Give them time... because it's as close as they are ever going to get!

Oh, forgot!

Don't pee on the electric fence, pee on the fence controller.

...and one thing my flight instructor told me - before you try something questionable, ask yourself, "Is this worth dying for?"

Some great tips in this thread.

To continue the flying analogy:

There are old pilots, there are bold pilots, but there are NO old and bold pilots....

Slow down - you are NOT Valentino or Nicky...

:)

Off for my first ride on my brand new Gold 07....

:yahoo:

I have to disagree with the fence thing.

I find that the jolt I get from using my "John Thomas" as a lightning rod gives me the edge I need to stay alert and sharp. :moil: :wizard:

A man has to know his limitations, never ride beyond your skill level.

Zoltan :D

Keep you bike in gear when you stop in traffic so you can get the hell out of the way if some dummy comes up behind you too fast.
Ride in the tire lines of the vehicle ahead of you so something doesn't appear in your path from under that car.

Never pee on an electric fence. :blink:
Back in the mid-80s when Del Mar (CA) was less developed than it is now there was a large cow pasture in a flood plain. A buddy and I were cutting through the pasture, hopping through a small stream and dodging cow flops, when we came across a fence with one bare aluminum wire. I grabbed it to go under it and leapt back about 8 feet. :dribble: I'm a city boy, ya see; No experience with electric fences.

So my buddy used the rubber sole of his sneaker to push down the fence instead.

The still damp rubber sole of his soaking wet sneaker. :gah:

Peeing on the electric fence is not the only risk.

"Pissing in the wind;

Betting on a losing friend;

Making the same mistakes

We swore we'd never make again."

Bob

Huntington Beach, CA

When riding at night keep your eyes moving, look past your headlights, if reflectors are used on the highway watch for them to disappear. If you find the reflectors disappearing slow down to the speed limit and watch that area for aminals, you know like moose and deer.

Just one from my experience, oh yeah, another one, stay awake! Won't catch me sleeping while riding ever again! :sleepysmileyanim:

Suggestion from the dealer 36 years ago still lingers in my mind:

"Just about the time you think you have this bike riding thing mastered, STOP, and begin again to review and practice all the rules you need to remember to keep you alive."

This would apply to many of the rules listed here. I've read all 18 pages of these and have gotten some really good new rules to practice. I started at the top of the first page with several to offer, but all have been covered above. Good job, all.

Complacency kills.

Safety tips...? Hmm. Considering every third rider thinks he's Rossi's protoge and many of the rest think they're even better, I'd say KNOW YOUR LIMITS AND RIDE WITHIN THEM. Stretch your limits by actually taking lessons and attending riding schools, not by listening to a fellow parking lot squid and trying to scrape a knee on the street.

watch out for the paint stripes on the road when its wet.... it can get ugly real quick when starting out or turning on the stripe while wet....

Mosa

Increase the cagers' awareness you exist. Consider

1. Installling extra lighting (eg. Hyperlites)

2. Wearing bright clothing rather than black leathers. You can buy safety vests which reflect light and which don't make you look too dorky.

3. swerving a bit within your lane. I've noticed the cagers take notice and give me more space. Plus it heats up my tires more quickly!

In heavy 'stop go' traffic on two lane (two each way), ride in the tyre tracks closest to the other lane (ie going the same way) - Why? - even most cagers take a quick look in their wing mirrors. If you are in the above position they can see you especially with lights on - if they can't see you they will see a space and dive for it and cutting you off - haven't had a cager cut me off in for years.

HTH

HM

In riding bikes just as in driving cars or flying airplanes, riding any vehicle, IF WHAT YOU ARE THINKING OF DOING DON'T LOOK RIGHT, THEN, Don't do it. Very simple way to cut down risk of accidents, IMNSHO.

OK -- no one has mentioned "LANE SPLITTING". In Calif. it is not enforced, even though it probalby is illegal. On the 91 Freeway almost every morning there is a motorcycle accident and many are from lane splitting.
Nuff said?
Lane-splitting is legal in California.

I don't believe either a) that there is a motorcycle accident on the 91 freeway almost every morning (or even every week); or B) that many are from lane splitting. I've been driving in and lane-splitting in California since 1969 and NEVER seen an accident caused by lane-splitting. You have any statistics to back up these assertions? Or are you just blowing smoke? It doesn't help bikers be any safer to spread misinformation.