How about Ohlins suspension?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DocDanDC

Reaction score
Has anyone tried Ohlins suspension on a '05 FJR?

I have decided to go with Ohlins due to their reputation and my previous experience with them on other bikes.

I live in NORCO, CA. About 3 miles from "Race Tech" in Corona, CA.

Planning so far to have Race Tech to do the install on my '05FJR and change out the rear shock for Ohlins 46PRCS (Horizontal for non-ABS model). Matching front fork springs from Ohlins. Race Tech Gold series rebound and compression kits for the front forks. Front and rear springs changed out to accomodate my weight at 265lbs. They said that their Ohlins 08679-10 springs would fit me the best and would be matched both front and back. This would be best for rider weight range 230lbs and up.

A big part of my decision was also that the install was from Race Tech and that they could help me tune the sag and matching. They are also familiar with Ohlins products and could do the maintenance/shock oil changes.

In my area of the country, nobody seemed to have ever heard of "Wilburs" brand shocks or products. (At least the ones that were closer then hundreds of miles away) The nearest company to me that knew about Wilburs was: https://www.aftershocks-suspension.com/pages/contact.htm

They were a great contact but only worked weekdays and were way up North from me.

The only thing that I wonder about when comparing Ohlins to Wilburs is the "Low Speed adjustment" feature of the Wilburs..............

Anyone out there had any good FJR technical thoughts on this??

Thread me up. B)

Dr.Dan

The Ohlins is working well for me, and I have sold a few to members here. One new one is enroute to a customer and another one should ship next week.

I have the 05 ABS model.

I'd be interested how much it costs for the complete job installed to do the front forks and the rear mono shock.

Thx

I will let you'all know about the results. So far, the sales guy told me that Race Tech would change out my rear shock for $50. I thought the price was very fare.

I already received the Ohlins rear shock in the UPS mail. I'm waiting for the front springs to come in so I can get it all done at the same time.

As I said before, I'm getting the heavier front springs to adjust for my weight. I know that I could keep cranking up the preload and rebound settings but the ride then becomes rough. The more the settings are cranked up the more the stock springs are compressed. The net effect is a very short margin of performance. The low speed compression, which controls front end diving during braking, is still too floppy. If I set it firmer then the high speed compression, which smoothes out the little bumps and cracks in the road, is way too harsh. I'm sure this also contributes to the wrist buzz also.

My understanding is that springs matched to my weight and riding ability will let me cure the problem. The springs will absorb the "mashing down" effect of braking into a turn or for emergencies. The compression kit improvements will let the oil flow easier allowing a plush high speed ride and also eliminating the diving while setting up the entrance to the turns. The improved rebound will let me skip over small dips without the "squatting down" effect of successive small dips and ruts. Stronger springs, help push down harder to allow continued contact with the road, as well as keep the bike level and not change the frame geometry. With weak springs, the bike is loose in the rearend into the turn and heavy steering out of the turns.

I almost lost it while emergency braking at 30mph, if you can believe that. Just a no nothing 30mph speed, rider in front of me jammed on the brakes to make a left into the ranch, I put firm pressure on the brakes and the front shocks compressed, the back end was instantly floating. The only thing that saved me is kicking it down a gear and letting the rearend re-grip the road while easing off of the front brake at the same time. At such low speed, and of course head and EARS in the helmet, I never heard the FJR skid. (95degrees and Battle-ax tires) This was the last straw.

The next day I was checking out suspension and trying to loose some weight. :bb2:

So, does anyone out there have any thoughts on the Ohlins' for the FJR?

How about any suspension mods?

Regards,

Dr.Dan

opps, I just notice you said 08679-10 I think that 10 on the end means hard, never seen that, know of the Öhlins Fork Springs 08679-90 I think the 90 means soft. Nevermind.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't want to start a flame war, but I am guessing you have the non-abs model.

If you do have the ABS model, did it help you avoid the crash?

Thanks.

P.S. looking forward to hearing about your shock adventure. $50 sounds like a bargain to switch out the rear shock.

I have a non ABS model.

I do wonder what would have happened with the ABS feature.

I have heard of some of my PD friends with the 1150RT's saying that their ABS was great because they have the front and rear brakes linked. They said that they could JAM on the front brake and both front and rear would brake "linked" and the ABS would kick in. They both said that the only trouble, for them, was training on short turnarounds on a ramp-like obstacle. Apparently, they are trained to go up and hit the rear brake then make a sharp turn 180 and come down. After riding a non-linked bike for several years, the linked type was hard to handle. Normally, they would use the rear brake, lean the bike over and pivot on the rear, (tight 180)

In my situation, the front wheel never skidded. Only the rear did due to the compression of the front suspension. This changed the weight onto the front and off of the rear. ABS in the rear may not have made any difference for stopping sooner but possibly decreased braking due to the on&off action of the system. Remember, the ABS acts to NOT let the wheel totally stop turning. My understanding is that it lets you steer easier without sliding. However, I was going straight and was not front-end panic braking. Heck, it was only about 30mph!

Maybe if If I was in a turn it could have saved my ASS! I'm no JO PRO RACER.

Im just really happy to have survived to ride another day. AND I am trying to maximize my chances of eliminating any future slides.

Hopefully someone out there may be able to validate my Suspension plans!

Thread me up! B)

Dr.Dan

One assumes you have already added preload to the forks and adjusted the compression and rebound to account for your weight and riding style and have thus arrived at the decision to purchase new fork springs. :blink:

The rear brake on my none abs '05 is the biggest complaint of the bike. Not that it doesn't work,but that it has such little feed back to it. In a hard braking situation I just have stay off hitting it to hard or lock it and ride it out.

Has anyone tried Ohlins suspension on a '05 FJR?
I have decided to go with Ohlins due to their reputation and my previous experience with them on other bikes.

I live in NORCO, CA. About 3 miles from "Race Tech" in Corona, CA.

Planning so far to have Race Tech to do the install on my '05FJR and change out the rear shock for Ohlins 46PRCS (Horizontal for non-ABS model). Matching front fork springs from Ohlins. Race Tech Gold series rebound and compression kits for the front forks. Front and rear springs changed out to accomodate my weight at 265lbs. They said that their Ohlins 08679-10 springs would fit me the best and would be matched both front and back. This would be best for rider weight range 230lbs and up.

A big part of my decision was also that the install was from Race Tech and that they could help me tune the sag and matching. They are also familiar with Ohlins products and could do the maintenance/shock oil changes.

In my area of the country, nobody seemed to have ever heard of "Wilburs" brand shocks or products. (At least the ones that were closer then hundreds of miles away) The nearest company to me that knew about Wilburs was: https://www.aftershocks-suspension.com/pages/contact.htm

They were a great contact but only worked weekdays and were way up North from me.

The only thing that I wonder about when comparing Ohlins to Wilburs is the "Low Speed adjustment" feature of the Wilburs..............

Anyone out there had any good FJR technical thoughts on this??

Thread me up. B)

Dr.Dan
Dan, I just put an Ohlin on the rear of my 05 ABS model. I am not much of a mechanic, but it was a pretty simple job. Think I posted that I put an eye bolt in the ceiling beam and used a ratchet strap to raise and hold up the rear sub-frame. The only thing I needed help with was getting the bike up on the center stand on the raised platform. Couldn't do that alone. The Ohlin instructions are pretty good. Also a post from a couple guys that have installed recently with pictures was helpful. I had the old shock out and the new one in in a few hours. Took my time because I wanted to make sure that I wasn't making any mistakes. When you raise the rear sub-frame you don't have to remove the bracket at the rear of the gas tank as the instructions say. The sub-frame will rotate on the long horizontal bolt in that bracket that holds the rear of the gas tank.

I think the front springs (stock) are fine. They are suppose to be 10% stronger than the 04's. The suspension is noticeably better and worth the expense of the Ohlin shock in my opinion.

Remember, the ABS acts to NOT let the wheel totally stop turning.
That's not the case

the ABS releases the pressure on the brakes when it senses the wheel HAS stopped turning too quickly.

QUOTE: That's not the case

the ABS releases the pressure on the brakes when it senses the wheel HAS stopped turning too quickly.

I think that we are saying the same thing, for all practicle purposes. Sorry for the double negative.

I figure it like this;

30miles/1hr x 5280ft./1mile x 1hr/60sec x 1min/60sec x 1sec/ (I think that ABS gives about 25pumps each sec)= 1.76ft traveled between each ABS pump. at 30mph.

or about 1/4 rear wheel turn per ABS pump at 30mph. Not including the deceleration rate since we are comparing it to a skid that keeps on going.

Hey, I only skidded about 3 feet.

See the reactionary brain may be more efficient then the ABS!

Therefore, MY ASS WAS VERY LUCKY! It may boil down to that too.

:bigeyes: