How about this tire pressure monitoring system??

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wicked Webby

Right is Harder than Wrong.
Reaction score
I found a nice and versatile tire pressure monitoring system. THE DORAN 360M. Less then $250. It comes with straight and right angled valve stems too!! The display appears to come with 2 display face plate options, a metal face plate of black plastic face plate. You can mount the sensors inside or outside the valve stems. It comes with a led remote light to place somewhere on your bike (if you just want a dummy light alarm) and then you can look at the display. Of course, you can mount the display somewhere within direct eye sight too if you don't care for the dummy light setup AND/OR you can install it with both. Mounting these sensors inside the tire, you still know exactly where they are because their on the valve stems(unlike the Smart Tire sensors). This may make it easier to avoid damaging them during tire changes. This company also sells replacement parts separately for these units. Installed, it is very unobtrusive(even installed on the outside on the valve stems), unlike the ugly and larger Kisan tire monitoring system. This unit is also a good $100 less than the over priced Tire Watch system. I may give this unit a try....

Here is some online information for those interested:

https://www.doranmfg.com/motorcycle-tire-pr...ing-systems.htm

Does anyone currently have this setup??

(EDIT:) Well I guess I do/will!! I liked it soo much, I just pulled the trigger and ordered it up!!! Hope it is as nice as the brochure says!!

WW

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the SmarTire system installed on my '05 and love it. I think any remote tire sensor system is great to have, as it is a good adjunct to safety.

My only observation is that the Doran unit measures tire pressure only, and not also temperature. Hence, neither a temperature-compensated pressure reading nor a tire over-temperature reading are possible. Without the former, one will have to hazard a "guess" as to what the pressure reading is actually saying over the course of a day's riding (it will vary quite a bit) - without the latter, well, perhaps it's just best not to even know - especially riding on a hot summer's day, 2-up in the western desert. :D

I like the idea of internally mounting the sensors. It's the only way to go! Let us know how this system works out for you. And if it doesn't, you can always return it and buy the SmarTire system (which'll save you about $80, too).

I think it's a good idea, but. When I test rode the Concours 14, it's tire pressure system didn't give a readout for the rear tire which was a failure of the rear sensor. I guess I'm just scared of spending money on things that only work once in a while.

That does look like a pretty nice setup and would be interested in hearing your feedback once you have road tested it. I have the Smart tire on the bike right now and it works great but its always nice to have a Plan B if/when this one fails. There have been a couple of band clamp failures on the Smart Tire setups that I know of and its always in the back of my mind that one of them could fail at speed. NIGHTSHINE posted a link for the Smart Tire but I thought they had discontinued it?

That does look like a pretty nice setup and would be interested in hearing your feedback once you have road tested it. I have the Smart tire on the bike right now and it works great but its always nice to have a Plan B if/when this one fails. There have been a couple of band clamp failures on the Smart Tire setups that I know of and its always in the back of my mind that one of them could fail at speed. NIGHTSHINE posted a link for the Smart Tire but I thought they had discontinued it?
Yep according to their website that's the case: https://www.smartire.com/motorcycles

Thanks All,

Well hearing now that the Smart Tire system is discontinued.. I am glad that I am gonna give this system a try. I was never real fond of that huge clamp inside my tire and then hearing about some of the clamps failing!! Scary!!! It seems like this Company provides a lot of tire pressure monitoring systems for RV's, School Buses, cars, trucks and commercial vehicles alike. According to the information on their site, the unit seems to be very accurate. I hope that this unit performs much better than Kawasaki's attempt at this on the C14. I have read about a lot of C14 owners not very happy with Kawasaki's version of this on the C14. Just my preference... I like the way this system offers 2 steps of alarm modes via the display unit and via the red LED dummy light. If either tire pressure goes down 12.5% from your selected base(mine will be 42 psi so the 1st alarm would trigger if I got down to 36.75 psi) it triggers the LED dummy light to light up and flash slowly. If your pressure drops 25% from the baseline(mine would be set to trigger this at 31.5 psi) then the red LED dummy light would flash very fast.

I plan to mount the LED dummy light near the top of my cluster(or somewhere very visible) and put the display box either under my seat or maybe mounted within my right side tray area(visible when riding). Again, this is just my preference because I can hardly stand to watch my speedo and/or Tach when riding down the road. So I really don't see myself trying to read a tire pressure digital display(even thought it is back lit). I like to concentrate on the road more than exact tire psi numbers BUT.. Really want to know if my pressures are dropping (back to that LED alarm light!!).

Just my way of thinking and preferences.

I will let you all know how this system works!!

WW

Well hearing now that the Smart Tire system is discontinued.. I am glad that I am gonna give this system a try. I was never real fond of that huge clamp inside my tire and then hearing about some of the clamps failing!! Scary!!!
You scare too easy. Every case of the band clamps failing (including my own) were in all likelihood caused by overtightening of the clamp. They are still selling the Smart Tire systems (Vulcan has them, UM has them, and I've seen them in local stores)... and the sensors have an expected lifetime of 5 years... probably longer than most people will have their bikes.

For my money, the Smart tire system is a definite winner, and I'd buy it again today given the alternatives.

While the first generations of TPM’s have had some teething problems (a la C14) and others, there are numerous suppliers that have systems that are not only accurate, but also highly reliable. Unfortunately they are auto specific. We are working with the company that supplies Toyota to produce a MC specific package.

While pressure readings are invaluable, temp readings probably are even more useful. Cold initial readings are a warning against any aggressive riding. A 50 degree tire has hard rubber and therefore marginal traction. A rapidly rising temp can be a very leading indicator of an eminent failure. Once normal baseline temps have been established, variations can be indicative of a number of things from pressure changes to road surface conditions.

For the performance rider, temp is an invaluable aid in fine tuning the suspension and pressures for a variety of conditions. And for track day it is golden.

This is really neat stuff!

FWIW

A note of caution -- if the pressure sensor that is on the valve stem fails, you will have a flat tire.

Typically the schrader valve is opened by the screw on sensor, so the valve is always opened. In the event that the sensor has a leak failure, the system should at least alarm to let you know that something is wrong.

I have no personal experience with this system, but I have had a valve stem sensor on the cage allow the tire to leak down to zero (while parked)

Do you think that is would also be true if you install the sensors on the outside(top of valve stem)?
Aside from the greater ease of airing up the tire, the main safety advantage of internally mounting the sensor is the redundancy. Should the sensor fail, you have both the valve core and the valve cap to keep the air from escaping. Externally mounted, there is no value cap and the valve is always depressed open...

Last edited by a moderator:
Nightshine,

Another good point,

Didn't think of the cap holding the air in!!. I know this system came with 2 new sets of metal valve stems(1 set standard and the other set right angled) with metal caps.

Cool!!

WW

Well... I installed this system today.

It works really good. I had to use the instructions to program the unit BUT it wasn't hard at all. Very simple to install. Has only a + and - wire. I wired it to my fused connection point where I wired my heated grips(under the left fairing panel in front of the storage box. This unit has a very small draw so I had plenty or room on this 5amp fuse. I placed the display box under the rear pillion seat for easy access for quick exact tire pressure checks. I ran the remote led wire from the display box along the same wiring route (under the seats and gas tank) and positioned the remote warning LED light on the left handle bar. This LED warning light is very very bright when triggered. I am very happy with this system. Here are 2 pics of where I placed the LED warning light (1 OFF / 1 ON).

tirepressuremonitoroff.jpg

tirepressuremonitorON.jpg

This light is so bright it will easily catch my eye (even in direct sunlight) if the system ever detects a loss of pressure. It has a 2 stage alarm. I programmed both wheels for 42psi. So if either tire pressure gets below 37 psi it will trigger the 1st LED warning alarm(red light on.. slow blink).... If either tire pressure gets below 32 psi the 2nd LED warning alarm signals(red light blinking super fast).

I tested the system after the install by putting the wheel sensors on the outside of the valve stems. Worked GREAT!!!! My new tires go on tomorrow. I will then install them inside using the included metal 90 degree angled valve stems.

I am very pleased!! I like the fact that Doran has a 1 year warranty and they sell individual parts for this system if I ever needed a new wheel sensors(they run $50). VERY QUALITY SYSTEM AND SIMPLE TO INSTALL!!!

WW

Cool deal!

Let us know how the tire on/off process goes with the sensor.

Really cool that you can mount the system and for now, just screw the sensors on. You can get the sensors on the inside when you change tires.

I couldn't tell from the pictures in the install manual how much clearance you get to get the tire beads over it. Let us know how the tire off/on goes.

How much was the system? and where'd ya get it?

Rickster,

I certainly will!! Ordered it right from Doran. $250 bones.

Mikerider,

Suppose to last 4-5 years. They didn't look user replaceable..

BUT.. you know how that goes.. I bet you can open them up and replace them!!

ThX,

WW

Latest posts