How are the AE's holding up?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Auron

FJRForums' Red-headed stepchild
Reaction score
I'm yet another one looking at getting a left over '09 AE. I hate shifting, I really do. I had given up on the idea of having an AE since I want a new FJR, but low and behold they are still out there!

I have searched this site and found they work pretty good, but how prevalent is the dry clutch syndrome now? Are the systems themselves holding up as well as a non-AE model?

There's always the potential of getting a dry clutch but the fix is easy. I wouldn't worry about it.

Other than that, not a lot to be concerned with. I'm sure some AE owners will chime in, but from what I understand, '09s have all the latest fixes and incremental improvements for the AE model.

Good luck with the search, you won't be disappointed!! :)

--G

I believe (or hope) it's still in the crate. So would the dealer just do the recalls and it would be mechanically just like getting a '12 right?

Did a little research on this site about fixing AE clutch related low speed lurching. This is a quote I found:

"My New 09 AE had the same problem. When I took it in for the 600 mile break in service, I talked to the tech. When I picked it up the problem was gone. He explained to me that he increased the rpm's at which the clutch ingages by 100 rpm's and set the idle up about 100 rpm's, now it does not do this any more. Rides like a dream now."

Can the clutch engagement adjustment be done from home?

Last edited by a moderator:
IIRC you need a jumper under the dash to get it in service mode-- can search and see how to adjust clutch engagement RPM. I think it's likely you won't need said adjustment. Many satisfied customers, and some with issues. Good luck

Ooh jealousy. Is that the way of this thread too?

You (except Scooter) all will eventually own a Gen II. One Convert per month it seems. They still make parts for those dinosaurs?

(now who's ducking?)

Are the systems themselves holding up as well as a non-AE model?
Considering that supposedly the non AE models have the exact same clutch as the AE, then there shouldn't be any difference. It's just the actuators that manage the clutch are different.

I think that the low speed shutter problem has been way over thought. I bought an '06 that had been sitting for a while with only 6400 miles on it. It shuttered when I got it but after it warmed up a bit the shutter subsided. Now after about 4k more miles the shutter is gone regardless of whether the engine is warmed up or not. Buy the bike. If it shutters on take off then raise the RPM a little while applying the rear brake and that will smooth it out. It's technique that you will get used to quickly. After a while the problem should go away altogether. There is nothing to fear or be skeptical of on the AE model. Buy it, ride it, enjoy it.

I think that the low speed shutter problem has been way over thought. I bought an '06 that had been sitting for a while with only 6400 miles on it. It shuttered when I got it but after it warmed up a bit the shutter subsided. Now after about 4k more miles the shutter is gone regardless of whether the engine is warmed up or not. Buy the bike. If it shutters on take off then raise the RPM a little while applying the rear brake and that will smooth it out. It's technique that you will get used to quickly. After a while the problem should go away altogether. There is nothing to fear or be skeptical of on the AE model. Buy it, ride it, enjoy it.
Gawd! As if I wasn't excited enough...and to think I wanted to buy the POS VFR1200 just to get a clutch lever-less bike.

Even if it does shutter from time to time, doesn't it damage the clutch plates?

Gawd! As if I wasn't excited enough...and to think I wanted to buy the POS VFR1200 just to get a clutch lever-less bike.

I don't know that that's a common problem. I have not experienced any shutter/shudder. I do know your transmission ought to last forever (from being perfectly clutched), :lol:

There are hundreds of no problem satisfied AE (and non AE) owners.

55,000 miles, several 3000+ tours with full gear, several years of stop and go Houston traffic (95+ stop and go for miles)

ZERO issues, no problems, nada. Clutch flawless, no shudder. No electrical problems.

I wish Goldwings came with it. I'd buy another FJR/AE tomorrow

55,000 miles, several 3000+ tours with full gear, several years of stop and go Houston traffic (95+ stop and go for miles)

ZERO issues, no problems, nada. Clutch flawless, no shudder. No electrical problems.

I wish Goldwings came with it. I'd buy another FJR/AE tomorrow
Yep!!! What He Said!! This bike is Amazing. It's running smoother now than the day I bought her home. I have the occasional shutter on a cold take off but, it's gone in 10 seconds. I'm thinking of buying a leftover '09AE as a spare in case I wreck this one. This is the last bike I want in my life. :) :assassin:

Last edited by a moderator:
I wish I could buy 2 and I haven't even ridden one yet :yahoo:

Thanks for all the positive info, I'm going to the dealer tomorrow to see what it's going to be like getting one shipped here.

Thanks for all the positive info, I'm going to the dealer tomorrow to see what it's going to be like getting one shipped here.
You are going to fall in love with it within 15 minutes! Do it!! Go for it!! You can thank me later! :)

Dude. You are WAY over-analyzing this. Just buy the flipping bike and have a permanent shit-eating grin on your face.

And pay me my consulting fee. :)

The only thing i didnt like about the AE was stopped at a traffic light and and older guy on a goldwing pulled up next to me and said "nice scooter"

I do know your transmission ought to last forever (from being perfectly clutched), :lol:
That's an excellent point, which brings up this question: There have been a number of FJR riders, usually those that prefer a "sportier" riding pace, who have had failures of the shift forks bending/distorting that allows the second gear dogs to slip under heavy acceleration loads. Every one of them (to a man) will tell you that they never had a missed shift.

Has this ever happened to an AE before? Has an AE ever had the skipping 2nd gear dogs symptom? :unsure:

Oh, oh... It's obviously too late for you. You haven't even bought one yet and you have been assimilated. :p

Enjoy the kool-aid. Take it from me... the blue is the tastiest!

Ha! Over analyzing is my calling card! Trying to work on it though and the auto shifter shifting the bike perfectly everytime is all I need to know!

One more thing, once you learn to drag the rear break, isn't it difficult to preform U-turns? What about if you are lost in a strange city and aren't paying attention? This is going to sound terible but, I could see myelf dropping it fairly easy in that kind of situation.

I drag my rear brake when making U-turns and I own an A. It's a good technique to use regardless.

As for dropping it easily, yeah, it happens to most of us eventually. You know... Gravity! It's not just a good idea, it's the LAW!

But, you'll get over it. (Just don't look too close at my side bags.) ;)