How Big Of Lights Can I Use???

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smitty141

My name is Smitty.. And I have a motorcycle proble
Reaction score
I ordered a set of light brackets, and was wondering.... Whats the biggest (wattage) lights I can run? I am planning on doing the stator change when it becomes availible. Some of you guys have them, so what are you runnin??? Thanks Smitty ;)

Am using PHIDs purchased from Catfish. AWESOME lights albeit somewhat pricey. Don't recommend running them concurrent with lots of Gerbings.

You likely have 110-120 watts of available reserve......so a pair of 55 watt halogens and you've tapped it.

I just talked to the guys at Electrosport. They NOW tell me maybe January for a high-output stator. I just wonder if they will ever get it done... :angry:

I am running a pair of 55watt bulbs in my 910's. That's it, bud. I had to drop them from the 80 watts (down from the OEM 110 watts each from PIAA) since the FJR can't maintain a reliable charge even at the 80 watts x 2.

How more watts on the '06?
Since there has been no informatin from Yammie on a change in this area, the obvious assumption is that alternator output has not changed. :angry:

I spoke with the Cypress factory rep at the Alice's release about the output. " No change, it would require an engine redesign " was his reply. Of course he went on that the aftermarket will come up with something.... then I told him about the Cyprss sqaush on WC's rework at Sunnyside. " Really . they did that ? " was his reply.

Maybe someday..... :unsure:

That is stupid. Why would you add outlets on a touring bike that every one knows isn't putting out enough juice.
Well, it is putting out enough juice for some stuff. You can easily run multiple low power consuming devices such as radar detectors, gps, cell phone charger, satellite radio, cb radio, mp3/cd player, and a few I am sure I have forgotten. You can also easily run approximately one major electrical farkle, such as auxilliary lights (assuming they are not mega wattage), or a couple pieces of heated clothing.

The problems arise when trying to run multiple heavy drawers, as can be typical when set-up for serious LD riding.

I am running a pair of 55watt bulbs in my 910's. That's it, bud. I had to drop them from the 80 watts (down from the OEM 110 watts each from PIAA) since the FJR can't maintain a reliable charge even at the 80 watts x 2.
Bounce,

So how can you tell that the 2x80's are a problem? Is the system voltage less than 13.8 (or 14 or whatever) with the lights on or do you have to wait for the motor not to spin when you try to start it up?

I've never had enough "stuff" on a bike to be problem before so I'm not sure how to tell that I've created a problem. I have had the "bike won't start after getting gas a hundred miles from home because the battery isn't charged" issue on my last ride and I'd like to avoid the ol' push start drill at costs. ;)

Cheers,

Jim

The problems arise when trying to run multiple heavy drawers, as can be typical when set-up for serious LD riding.
Yes, I suspect running long distances in multiple heavy drawers could cause horrific ass sweat and some ferocious chafing. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I suspect running long distances in multiple heavy drawers could cause horrific ass sweat and some ferocious chafing. :D
I hear there is a group buy on DEPENDS coming up soon..................