How can a new guy protect the engine and fairing?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
poor man's sliders

https://www.fjrforum....=0

you want to do research on tank protection whether textile or plastic base

plus some use tank bags with mounts on the fuel cap structure that floats above the paint

dont ask me for details as i'm a die hard function over form rider who thinks scratches are art and personality

(full disclosure: mixed up my meds with my doggies' worm pills)
I thought for sure this was going to be a picture of a Stebel Horn! :lol:

poor man's sliders

https://www.fjrforum....=0

you want to do research on tank protection whether textile or plastic base

plus some use tank bags with mounts on the fuel cap structure that floats above the paint

dont ask me for details as i'm a die hard function over form rider who thinks scratches are art and personality

(full disclosure: mixed up my meds with my doggies' worm pills)
I thought for sure this was going to be a picture of a Stebel Horn! :lol:
Dayum!!!

I strongly recommend "extended" delrin sliders - 4" long.

The standard 3" sliders don't protect the left-side (stator) cover.
I didn't measure my sliders (OES), but I can tell you the Stator cover did not touch on a left side zero speed dumb ass moment. :rolleyes:

What if the slider wears down a little bit? Will it still be long enough to protect that cover? :rolleyes:

mt%20view%2008%20006.jpg

If you want to go all out, take a look at these:

SIDEBAGLRG.jpg

ENGINEGUARD.jpg

Find them here clicky and search Yamaha "Go".

I bought and installed the sidebag protectors and I like them. The sidebag protectors are not too noticable and didn't take away from the bike's look IMO. The engine gaurds were a little too extreme for me so I installed Motovation sliders on the front of the bike.

Here's a nice write-up on the Motovation sliders - clicky.

Last edited by a moderator:
The best way to protect those parts is to never ever take the bike out of the garage.

But assuming that you bought the thing to ride, and not just to look at, the next best way to protect it is to have paid up collision and comprehensive insurance (comprehensive covers collisions with deer. DAMHIKT) with a reasonably low deductible and get out there and ride the bajeebers out of it. ;)

PS - Sliders will not protect your engine cases from damage from a drop. DAMHIKT either. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I strongly recommend "extended" delrin sliders - 4" long.

The standard 3" sliders don't protect the left-side (stator) cover.
I didn't measure my sliders (OES), but I can tell you the Stator cover did not touch on a left side zero speed dumb ass moment. :rolleyes:

What if the slider wears down a little bit? Will it still be long enough to protect that cover? :rolleyes:

mt%20view%2008%20006.jpg
Wheats, In this case, Yes... Only cuz there is not stator cover to protect on that side.
unsure.gif

I put on a set of die cut 3m protective film cut for the FJR. Covers all the important edges. It takes some skill and patience but i found it well worth it. If you do it yourself it'll cost $200+ for the kit. I took the body parts off to apply it, but you could have a pro do it for a couple $$ more. The 3m stuff is the one to get. It's far superior to other film.

I got the longer sliders myself and use em as red neck highway pegs. Check out the thread on "A poorman's highway pegs" going around.

BTW, anyone have of these Polished alum sliders on an FJR? They sure look purdy. But i'd want to see them on someones FJR before buying them.

Some say it's over kill but i am thinking i might go for these crash bars just for the rear. They will pay for themselves after one parking lot tip over by protecting the bags.

905 bars

Best-O-luck with her.
I bought a pair of the polished aluminum ones but have since replaced them with the OEM ones. I gave them to Canucklehead biker https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showuser=13964 to give to anyone who might need them. Shoot him a pm he might still have them.

-worney

I dropped the bike at a standstill 3 times. Bit of scuff on the moto sliders, the vstrom handguards, and the bottom of the muffler. Now it looks lived in. It's not a Harley, I don't expect to get more for it after ten years than I paid for it, especially since I put 19K on it in a year.

If I actually crash the thing, my heirs can worry about the damage to the fairings.

Mickey, how much did those front and rear prootectors cost you? Went to the website and it says contact them as they are not available at dealers. Still have the front ones?

Mickey, how much did those front and rear prootectors cost you? Went to the website and it says contact them as they are not available at dealers. Still have the front ones?
I must be getting old as I can't remember exactly what I paid for them. I'm pretty sure the rear gaurds were under $100. I only bought the rear ones. Never inquired about the front set.

Kenny Roberts, Sr. when asked about all his 'unionizing' of riders for safer GP tracks -

words to effect

'Hell yah, I want safer tracks, I'd make them out of marshmellows if I could'!