How can I mount this camera for on board video?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lacofdfireman

Reaction score
I have a Canon Powershot SD 880 IS Point and Shoot that also does Video and I would like to find a way to mount this onto my FJR so I can do ride videos. I have a Helmet Camera from Helmetcamera.com and after having it for a little over a year I had a cable go bad on the camera part and they wanted over $200 to fix it. I called Bullshi*t on that. Besides it was really a pain in the keyster to have to have the bullet cam and a million different cords and your own MiniDv camcorder. I really like the idea and quality videos I have seen of the GoPro Hero cameras but the battery thing has me scared away from that one. People are saying with a regular battery that is required they are getting less than 5 minutes recording time. Then others say they are using the Lithium batteries and getting less than an hour of camera time. That's over 10bucks worth of batteries for 2hrs recording. That's rediculous to me. So hopefully I can find a way to mount up my camera so that I can use this one. Like I said it's good quality video and rechargeable batteries. So here is a photo of my camera. Anyone else out ther have some type of mount rigged up for this type of camera? If so please share. As always post up your photo's and give a desciption....

415kZtKwwcL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

I used a ram mount on the right handlebar and pointed the camera through the windshield. It protects it from the elements, plus it gives a great shot. Once I get my bike back from the dealer, I will take a picture for you.

I also use a minidv camera and get about 1 hour of recording time.

Last edited by a moderator:
HeliBar Tour Performance top clamp and a couple Ram Mount balls. Get yourself the 5 inch arm and a video camera mount and your all set. I just use my video camera saving the movie to an SD card. 2 gig card gives me about 50 minutes of video which is about all the battery life I have. Here is a link to a video I shot last fall after I installed my V-Stream windshield. It shows my top clamp and ram mount. Hope this helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0luU6Xdhw5Y

I agree with the Ram Mounts. They look like the best option for me also. My problem is where can you mount the Ram mount on the FJR? The FJR doesn't have round handlebars except for the top part and all that space is used up. I took a bunch of Photo's to show what I have going on in the Cockpit and am hoping someone can show me some photo's of there Ram Mount mounted on there FJR? Specifically the AE model cause that is what I have. But the Standard might give me some ideas of where I might be able to mount also. I found some other Ram Bar mounts that had a quick release camera mount that was really cool also. One of the things I want to be able to do is move it from my bike to the Fire Truck so I can get some video of me on the TDA and cutting some holes in some roofs... So here are some photo's of my bike. Any recommendations of where I could mount a Ram would be appreciated. Also what Ram Mount I would need..

Photo 1

IMG_2934.jpg

Photo 2

IMG_2935.jpg

Photo 3

IMG_2936.jpg

Photo 4

IMG_2937.jpg

Photo 5

IMG_2939.jpg

+1 on the Ram mount, you can also get a replacement nut for the triple clamp with a Ram ball on it.

Before mounts but showing my bikes Ram mounts.

DSC03777.jpg

DSC03779.jpg

Hope this gives you some ideas.

lacofdfireman, does that Canon have a tripod socket? If so, you need the RAM 202A, a tripod screw on a RAM ball, then a base and arm of your chioce, depending on where you put it and how much height you want.

The mount wizard lists only the B309-1 handlebar clamp-on base for FJRs. The A model FJRs (Those of us with real clutch levers) have an unused mirror mount that takes the B-349U ball, but I don't think your AE has that spot available.

Those pics showing the balls mounted on the triple tree are on bikes equipped with a replacement triple tree, the stock one does not have those mount holes. There's also a stem-nut available with a RAM ball on it, but you've got the tek mount for your GPS there, you'd have to switch it out.

RAM also has reservoir covers which you could use on the right-hand side, one with the ball in the center, and one with an offset ball. The FJR is listed in the fitment table for those, but the mount wizard never pulls them up.