How Come - GPS

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orient_Express

Fire Base Ripcord Association
Reaction score
Was sitting around pondering another GPS unit when I had a thought (pretty unusual for me)

Since TomTom came out with the Rider, and other companies are adding units to sway the MC crowd, seeing that there is considerable money to be made selling GPS units to farkle hungry types - How come no one includes motorcycle dealers / shops in their POI database.

I'd buy one in a second for LD riding - don't care who's name is on it!!

Was sitting around pondering another GPS unit when I had a thought (pretty unusual for me)Since TomTom came out with the Rider, and other companies are adding units to sway the MC crowd, seeing that there is considerable money to be made selling GPS units to farkle hungry types - How come no one includes motorcycle dealers / shops in their POI database.

Harley and BMW have their dealers in the branded units they sell and I would imagine the GL has the Honda dealer locals in the Navi model. Garmin provides a way to get them in theirs, but I think it is user added via download. bikeeffects has the whole Yammy dealer network on his.

Was sitting around pondering another GPS unit when I had a thought (pretty unusual for me)Since TomTom came out with the Rider, and other companies are adding units to sway the MC crowd, seeing that there is considerable money to be made selling GPS units to farkle hungry types - How come no one includes motorcycle dealers / shops in their POI database.

Harley and BMW have their dealers in the branded units they sell and I would imagine the GL has the Honda dealer locals in the Navi model. Garmin provides a way to get them in theirs, but I think it is user added via download. bikeeffects has the whole Yammy dealer network on his.
Bingo. Garmin has generally reserved this feature for their OEM branded units so they can charge 3x what Garmin charges.

- Mark

bramfrank...

Thanks for the info - looks like Garmin will be the new unit!!

Any particular model or will all models be able to install the file?

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow that is a greak site BF. I am going to be doing some downloading from there!!!

I use POI Factgory for my POIs for my Zumo 550.

And love it.

When I have the time I was going to see what it would take to move the FJR help list into a POI file for those who take long trips.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts