How do I mount a cell phone to the FJR?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkooterG

Purveyor of Crooked Facts
Reaction score
Ok, it's time. Time to get my smartphone mounted to the FJR. I know I have read threads in the past, but now that I am ready I need specifics.

It's a Samsung Galaxy S III.

What do peeps recommend for mounting it and hardwiring a power cord to the FJR?

I go with a RAM Mount using one right-hand side (I have GPS on center and on left) and a USB cable to my tank bag that has power a variety of ways including a 4 port USB splitter I found on eBay.

I made my own Rambone, then bought a long clamshell arm from RAM, and an X-grip for my SIII.

As far as power, I'd getcherself one of these flush mount USB 12v adapters and save some space in your glove box.
DBL-YYI1-KV0312.jpg

Drilled a hole through the glove box big enough to accept the width of a USB plug, and put a grommet in that hole. The wire runs out of the glove box, above the triple tree and wraps around my Rambone.

Last edited by a moderator:
I imagine you want to have visual access? I have the SIII, but I connect bluetooth to my Zumo 665 which is bluetooth connected to my Sena. I keep the phone in my tank bag. I run a power cord out to a USB adapter in the glove box. I just close the cover on it, so have not drilled any holes. I can see who is calling and control the phone from the GPS.

Yep, rambone with the x mount rules. Note google maps showing the accident to my left...hence why I'm not stuck in the traffic to my left?
biggrin.png

RideAroundTraffic_zps0a6a3091.png

Ok, it's time. Time to get my smartphone mounted to the FJR. I know I have read threads in the past, but now that I am ready I need specifics.
It's a Samsung Galaxy S III.

What do peeps recommend for mounting it and hardwiring a power cord to the FJR?
Hey Greg,

This would work well.... I have one for my IPhone that works great. Not an inexpensive option but very nice.

Case: waterproof IPX4

https://www.amazon.com/Extended-Motorcycle-GT-i9300-SGH-i747-SCH-i535/dp/B00AJLNZBG/ref=pd_bxgy_cps_img_y

Hard Wire:

https://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Addons-Motorcycle-GT-i9300-SGH-i747/dp/B00AFVVK3K/ref=pd_bxgy_cps_img_y

This Ebay search will get you to my personal favorite.

Or the manufacturers site. These are made in the usa, by people who speak engrish as a second language.

I have it mounted on the brake reservoir with a micro usb cable (and voltage regulator) attached to my fuzeblock

So...since the mount thing is covered...A41Billy, what app is that you are running in that pic? Or for that matter, what apps do folks like to run while on the bike that are useful?

So...since the mount thing is covered...A41Billy, what app is that you are running in that pic? Or for that matter, what apps do folks like to run while on the bike that are useful?
about the only thing i use my phone for on the bike is Pandora and iHeart Radio and depending on where I'm riding I use Waze

That is an Android app called "CarHome Ultra". You can try it for free 30 days. It costs $5.00 if you want to unlock it. It is a great app for riding. Big buttons, that you can configure to any app on your phone. Has a compass, weather forecast/temp display, MPH(set with GPS) plus a bunch of other stuff.

Mine stays in my tank bag. I don't ride to take phone calls. It can wait until I'm stopped or if / when I feel like checking it...which is rarely. The Zumo GPS is the only electronics I need for routing and not worrying about it getting rained on.

But I'm weird...I know.