How do we stay safe?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldryder

Reaction score
I've been reading the posts about fallen riders like everyone else with great dismay.

However, I don't think our sport carries unaceptable risk if you as a rider take advantage of all the options you have to reduce risk.

On the extreme you have the near naked drunk rider with no training on a 1000cc. sport bike or modded out V-twin with no front brake out showing his buddies how fearless he is. that guy is doing less than nothing to reduce his risk.

COnsider:

approx. 50% of all motorcycle accidents are single vehicle accidents. To me this means I can eliminate almost 1/2 of the total risk associated with my favorite pasttime simply by making sure I don't get in over my head and paying attention to road conditions.

All the times I've heard something like "I came around the curve and there it was (stalled car, oil, gravel, cow, whatever) and there was nothing I could do." I want to berate the speaker for stupidity. that person was completely culpable, overdriving a sight line in a curve.

Or the case where something pops out from under a vehicle or falls off a vehicle and causes a crash. That rider was following too close.

Or the case where the bike hydroplanes because the rider was riding in the rain on worn tires ...

Another typical factor is the cagers claim " I never saw him"

Again the rider has multiple options for reducing this threat; hi-v-z clothing, head and tail lite modulators, and, most importantly, an acute awareness of the other drivers.

rider training and many good books are available to educate a rider on these topics. A rider that wants to survive should be making an on-going study of rider safety.

anyway thats my rant for today. I hate to see people hurt and it bugs me that so many of the crashes and injuries were avoidable if the rider was simply more proficient and more aware.

As a final note I simply choose to live with the fact that someday an automobile driver talking on the phone, reading, doing her nails, eating, texting, or whatever might run me over despite my best efforts.

popcorn.gif

BTDT, but thanks for trying, yet again. We need to have this discussion every other year or so....

The more training you get hopefully the safer you be.

I did the basic training with motorcycle instructor, passed the test. Then did a lot of advanced training with my motorcycle instructor(about year). his web site is galwaymotorcycleschool.com

This is the book I got from my instructor https://www.amazon.co.uk/Motorcycle-Roadcra...g/dp/011341143X

We had california superbike school here in www.mondello.ie

learned a few more skills from the boys..... see you next year on my screaming ninja...

Weekend ride outs with mates and the more miles you do in a year the more experience you will have.

Its a constant learning experence... I do make the odd small error and know better the next time...

I don't think we can hear that message too often oldryder and maybe if the new riders notice us well seasoned riders continue to rehash the subject they will understand why.

I have a hi-viz yellow jacket and people still don't see me. I had a lady, who I thought was looking right at me, almost take me out because she said she didn't see me. Fortunately I saw her and read her body language to know to stay out of her way. A blast from the Stebel did get her attention. Getting complacent and not staying razor sharp is our kryptonite.

I installed a kisan headlite modulator this spring and was surprised at the results. It was evident the cager drivers were taking more notice of me.

I also took several advanced rider classes at a local racetrack. I learned how to "look thru turns" and just how agressively you can turn a motorcycle with good tires and proper technique. I've been riding 35 years and I am a very significantly improved rider vs. a year ago.

(the track schools were also a hell of a lot of fun)

How interesting! I've recently finished re-reading "Proficient Motorcycling" and today I started, for the third time, to re-read "More Proficient Motorcycling". Your opening thoughts are what the first chapter is all about, setting the foundation for the rest of the book.

Great post and great reminder to get a "tune up": mind, body, motorcycle habits, etc. Many of the "issues" we face while riding can be identified and solved before aggressive evasive action is necessary if we have our brain engaged.

I'm as guilty as everyone else of continuing in bad habits and I thought reading through the books again would stir me to action. This thread underscores my train of thought.

Your original premise is flawed. There is no such thing as "safe". There are varying degrees of safety that are reached by risk management. Life's not safe.

Living a life completely free of risk is a fiction perpetrated on "the masses" by media and big government.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your original premise is flawed. There is no such thing as "safe". There are varying degrees of safety that are reached by risk management. Life's not safe.
Living a life completely free of risk is a fiction perpetrated on "the masses" by media and big government.

Also non-media and small government...

OH crap! Now I am parnoid! I am not safe ANYWHERE? :blink:

OH crap! Now I am parnoid! I am not safe ANYWHERE? :blink:
Along the lines of continuing 'education', earlier this year I took a big bike course offered by Ride Like a Pro in SoCal. This is the pre-cusor for the CHP Motopolice Civilian course. It's aimed at slow speed handling of full dressers / heavy bikes. I highly recommend this course. I came away at least a bit more confident that even with 2 bad legs & vertically challenged, there was hope. Check 'em out..they're worth it

Also non-media and small government...
Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. C.S. Lewis