How do you get wires in your tankbag without water leakage?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lacofdfireman

Reaction score
I am just wondering how you could go about putting stuff in your tankbag that may require wires such as an Ipod or something. I know you can do it through the zipper but is there any other way to keep the water out? There has to be something out there that you could put on the side and pull your wires though without having to worry about water. Anyone know of such a thing?

I am just wondering how you could go about putting stuff in your tankbag that may require wires such as an Ipod or something. I know you can do it through the zipper but is there any other way to keep the water out? There has to be something out there that you could put on the side and pull your wires though without having to worry about water. Anyone know of such a thing?
Something like this works well:

I get the drift that you want to modify your bag as opposed to buying a ported bag.

I have a ported bag.So I'll tell you how they did mine.You'll need industrial strenth "sticky".

You either use a piece of flat sheet rubber with,or without one side being sticky(if not sticky you'll need some good glue).

But basicly you cut two pieces the same(one for inside,and one for outside)'then stick them on facing each other(glue side toward cloth).then after it dries cut the rubber like a pizza ( 8 pieces ) without cutting all the way to the edge.Then you can poke the cord(with jack-plug)through the port.

If you can find a fabric store(big),they usually have some heavy duty hook tape(wide roll),it'll come in two parts one will have the hooks and the other will have the foozy cloth.For this project just use the foozy part only(save the rest of roll,you'll love this stuff).

The other thing is,I have used bags without ports,and really haven't had any leak problems running the wire though the zipper.I usually keep it closed with the two zippers coming together at the right or left rear corner,not middle rear.Water doesn't seem to collect to the side rear.

I have my Starcom in my tankbag. The bag is not waterproof, so I must put the little shower cap that is came with to keep everything dry. I did not think that it sas important to have water tight fittings as nothing else would be.

I get the drift that you want to modify your bag as opposed to buying a ported bag.I have a ported bag.So I'll tell you how they did mine.You'll need industrial strenth "sticky".

You either use a piece of flat sheet rubber with,or without one side being sticky(if not sticky you'll need some good glue).

But basicly you cut two pieces the same(one for inside,and one for outside)'then stick them on facing each other(glue side toward cloth).then after it dries cut the rubber like a pizza ( 8 pieces ) without cutting all the way to the edge.Then you can poke the cord(with jack-plug)through the port.

If you can find a fabric store(big),they usually have some heavy duty hook tape(wide roll),it'll come in two parts one will have the hooks and the other will have the foozy cloth.For this project just use the foozy part only(save the rest of roll,you'll love this stuff).

The other thing is,I have used bags without ports,and really haven't had any leak problems running the wire though the zipper.I usually keep it closed with the two zippers coming together at the right or left rear corner,not middle rear.Water doesn't seem to collect to the side rear.

This is more along the lines of what I am looking for. I will have to try and understand what you have written a little better. I am sure it will click. Thanks for the help. Did you do this? If so you have pictures? Thanks. Lastly, my bag already has one port but I would like to add another on the other side.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is more along the lines of what I am looking for. I will have to try and understand what you have written a little better. I am sure it will click. Thanks for the help. Did you do this? If so you have pictures? Thanks. Lastly, my bag already has one port but I would like to add another on the other side.
I haven't done this mod,but I have a bag with a port,and by looking at it I could tell what needs to be done to mod it,I have a long history in cloth mods from the Navy(liferafes/parachutes/helmets/pressure suits/Arctic dry,and coldwater suits/etc. lots of cloth and rubber blending).

On a personal note made my own hippo-hands,scool-cap,and other rider clothing mod's.

Just take a look at the port on your bag,while looking at my notes.How many wires do you need coming out of the port on you bag.If it isn't more than 3,or 4. Ask yourself,how good are you at doing this,will it look good when you're though,and will it keep water out. If it looks like more of a problem than FUN,you may want to live with one hole. But whatever you do,if you need some help let me know.

Most any bag that has a zipper will leak if in direct onslaught of rain. Being that it's sitting on the tank, you get the advantage of the windshield and faring blocking most of the weather.

On my electronic Bagster tank bag I have the more permanent cords fed through a seam that I opened up in the front right corner. Because of the way it was built it forms a little flap over itself and blocks most casual water from entry. For the 3 cords that I do not use all the time, I just run them through the zippered opening and bring the 2 zippers closed around them, again up in the front right corner.

Here's some pictures of how the cords exit my bag. All my peripheral gear has changed, (Motocomm upgraded to Starcom1, Garmin C550 upgraded to 2820, iPod classic upgraded to flash drive MP3 player on left handlebar) but I still use the same bag the same way.

2432363160098858932S600x600Q85.jpg

2174022990098858932S600x600Q85.jpg

In the event of a true gully washer, or riding for long periods in steady rain I have the heavy duty "showercap" affair that was provided with the bag. That's the only way to fully seal the whole deal due to the zipper leakage, but it does make access more difficult.

Yep. that's what I use. I then tuck all excess wiring into an Eagle Creek quarter or half Cube that lies in the bottom of my tank bag.
The SAE plug works for power, but how do you guys get all the other cables in and out?

I only have one power cord going into my e-bag, but I have up to 6 cables going back out.

Mike, Audio and Power to Garmin GPS

Audio from MP3 player and PTT cable to switch on left bar.

Bike2Bike cable to FRS radio on right bar

Latest posts