How fast & smooth does the AE shift ?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The AE I test rode does not shift as fast as I can manually shift my A. It must be all of those years of experience or perhaps the AE just kills the ignition one nano second too long.
Have you tried setting up any experiments? And, if so, did you use a "totally control environment", whatever the hell that is?

Detailed Technical Analysis of FJRAE Shifting
It was back and forth between bikes and there is an obvious lag somewhere in the AE system. Whether it is ignition or delay to clutch engagement I do not know but it is there. I suspected it was an ignition cut because the RPM's do not increase as you shift.

When I shift with a regular clutch the clutch lever is pulled in and released in a continuous movement. There is no pause and it happens as quick as I can do it. As I am pulling in the clutch lever I am simultaneously hitting the shift lever and blipping the throttle. This results in a dead on smooth extremely quick shift.

The AE setup is, I'm sure, nice, and valuable to those who selected it, for whatever reason. But it was not designed or built to be Yamis version of a speed/power shifter, of this I'm sure. Convenient yes, fast, no. Sure to the point where I challenge any owner of an AE within riding distance of me to a shift contest, fullpower, mid speed, low speed, lets pretend we gots Torqueflites, Hydros, whatever. Preferably while under way, none of this centerstand shit. But I'll kik yer ass doin' that too, be that yer preference, or your balance is gone, or your left hand has atropied to the point you can't hang on to the left grip anymore. Some disinterested, drunk even, observers can determine the winner. Odot, comin' back home anytime soon? :p

Last edited by a moderator:
I just don't get it....

If you wanted a hole-shot, speed demon -- just don't get an FJR at all (either model).

For it's intended purpose (a sport tourer weighing over 640#) -- the AE clutch engagement from a stop is more than enough to break the back tire loose.

If the speed of WOT shifting from 2-3-4-5 is an issue on an AE -- you're on the wrong bike.

i mean heck -- the DR-Z400 will KILL and FJR in the dirt :D :D

and Rad -- as soon as i get up that way -- i'll challenge ya -- even with one hand (the left that is) tied behind my back!!!! (only cause I can on the AE) :p

Last edited by a moderator: