How healthy is riding an FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hudson

Reaction score
I'm pretty much done with all the performance farkles to make the FJR perform better. All except one: weight. The cheapest farkle is losing weight, and taking off +30 lbs is my goal. Piefart is probably responsible for at least 10 of those lbs, what with his breakfast runs and pie. So I resolved this year to lose some of the added weight in my midsection, and get back to my fighting weight. I bought a road bike (the pedaling kind), and a close friend set me up with a high tech Garmin 310XT and scale.

garmin-310xt.jpg

bc1000tanita-body-composition-monitor.jpg

You step on the scale and the watch records your weight, bodyfat/water and a bunch of other data. It sends it to Garmin's website for tracking, all automatically via an ANT (bluetooth-like) USB adapter. You just walk by your computer and it auto uploads.

It's fascinating getting data about your diet and exercise. I am completely rethinking everything. The Garmin watch reads a heart rate monitor, and includes a GPS. It can calculate a heap of data during your workout, and it also records your cadence and steps with a wireless adapter. It sends this data automatically to the website, so you can see how your workout went: how long, your heart rate over the workout, how many calories you burned, elevation change (for running/hiking/biking) and more.

I wondered whether riding my FJR burned any calories, and how it compared with bicyle riding. So I set out this weekend to find out.

Here what the Garmin concluded. Over a 88mile ride lasting over a couple of hours (mostly spirited riding in country roads, but a few highway blasts), I actually burned over 400 calories:

FJRHR.JPG

However, the chart only told part of the story. My heart rate varied a bit over the course of the ride:

FJRgarmin3.JPG

You can tell by the detail where I had my most fun: a bit of two lane twisty section near the start of the ride. The rest was mostly loafing along (Sunday traffic) with a few twisty sections and some freeway blasts.

But here is where it gets absolutely fascinating. The Garmin samples your route every few seconds, and records: elevation, speed, location, heart rate. You can actually see exactly how fast you were at various sections of the route, and via a player, see how your speed and heart rate changes as you travel along the route:

Here's a contrast of elevation and speed:

FJRGarmin2.JPG

And here is the player, which shows all of this data at every point in the route (note the player controls above, and the data points at the bottom; as the icon travels the route you rode, the data changes with it.

FJRGarmin1.JPG

Totally cool. It would be awesome to have this data on the track, to be able to calculate your exit speeds as the course and elevation changes.

I'll be wearing this the next time Auburn and I do some single track trails on dirt bikes, where I expect to burn the same amount of calories but in less than an hour.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice! Found out what your BMR is so you can determine the difference between riding and doing nothing?

I've also committed to losing some weight. Down 22 pounds since November (not bad during the holidays and while strength training), but I still have about 28 more to go till I'm happy.

Goodluck with your progress and let us know how your experiment goes.

OK, you get points for the sheer coolness of the approach Dave. Gotta give you that.

And crap, I need to ride 88 miles every freakin day if it'll burn an extra 400 cals!

...any chance the Garmin was thinking you were running or on a bicycle? Unlikely, as I'm sure if it was thinking you were on a bike it'd be more like 4,000 calories over 88 miles. :)

This would also explain the fatigue after a long day riding. You're not just working mentally - fatiguing enough - but also physically your body seems to be doing lots more, as evidenced by the 400 cals on your ride. I'm sure some of that is increased heart rate, but some must be coming from muscle control, etc.

Couldn't just call Sonobello could you...? ;)

One thing for sure is that I snack a hell of a lot less when i am on the bike versus when I am in the cage. That has to be a good thing.

Low/Silent, I did do a BMR. The bad news is that the FJR burns not a ton more calories than simply walking around the house. For comparison, I burned about 80 calories an hour doing nothing. When I pedaled around my neighborhood for 20 minutes on the other hand (there are some good hills around my house), I burned 256 calories (as you'd expect), and my HR was avg. 145+ the whole time.

bike.JPG

We do some long rides in the PNW, including a few 500 mi+ days to WFO and the like. You can see how just being careful when and how you fuel up can make or break your whole day.

Example. Let's say the PNW crew does a typical 300 ride on a Saturday. Sounds like we'd be burning over 1600 calories, right? We should be pencil thin!

Wrong. We meet at Mickey D's, and 800-1000 calories later, we depart. We stop for lunch, we avg. 1200-1500 calories for lunch (a burger, fries, and piece of pie). We burned 1600 calories during the day, but we netted up to 1000 additional calories purely due to diet choice.

P1010459.JPG

It would actually take us riding another 400 miles or more, without another meal, just to break even. We actually gained fat for our one day ride. Now I think I know where the last 20 lbs was gained: WFO, breakfast rides, etc. (My midnite snacks had nothing to do with it of course!)

Now say instead of Mickey D's and starbucks, we had a banana and a breakfast bar to start. Say that lunch was also on the more healthy side (salad with a chicken breast, hold the dressing and maybe a cup of lentil soup, plus an apple or banana). Plus a few pieces of jerky or an apple when we stopped. Now that 300 ride would still burn ~1500 calories, but since we managed our meals right, we'd either be break-even or even ahead a few hundred calories.

It does make you rethink how you ride. Ditch the soda, pass on the bread/carbs, and focus on the protein and veggies and fruits.

(Sez Niehart: But who eats the pie?)

P1010284.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
That's some fascinating shit there, brother Hudson.

.....So you're too chubby, huh?
When the boys refer to me "Daddy Fatty" it's time I looked in the mirror. Yeah, you could say I've put on a few. I noticed it mostly when Auburn and I were at Capitol Forest, attacking a slippery single track trail. After about 20 min of riding, falling, picking up the bike, getting up a steep trail, the inside of my helmet was drenched with sweat and my heart was pounding pretty good.

Cheesuz, I am not like I was in my thirties.

My buddy that gave me the watch/scale was 50 and had a heart attack in Nov. Since then, he's lost 45 lbs, mostly via diet, but also some exercise. I think now that I have this data to look at, it puts it into harsh reality, but it also makes it much easier to understand how to get back on track. Takes the guess work out. You don't need fancy gadgets to understand it, but they do help to set goals and track progress.

It's really just simple math. You burn more than you take in. You can either eat better, or exercise more, or both.

The cool news is that I don't have to stop eating the stuff I love, I just have to eat differently. For example, that hamburger above. Ditch the bun, swap the fries for a side salad, and the meal loses a lot of calories and fat, but still preserves the protein. Ditch the soda/lemonade for some ice tea and save 250 or more calories.

Dude, quit trying to measure "stuff", and smell these;

daffodil.jpg

There, isn't that better?

I apologize for being an ass. My wife is often pointing this out! :(

So more often than Not, it seems I'm preoccupied trying to figure out how to look at "stuff" from different perspective? ;)

ya, the fruit cancels out the calories in the sugar that suspends the fruit in the filling, and the lard in the flakey crust

what's the problem?

So I guess my favorite rally point is a goner then... :( Damn, gotta sell the stock while the price is still high!

Interesting information Hudson, and this nugget sums it up.

It's really just simple math. You burn more than you take in. You can either eat better, or exercise more, or both.
Thanks for driving the point home!

--G

Hey, there was fruit in that pie.....
AttaBoy PieFart! :lol:
Hudson, this is a cool idea/product. I'm getting the yz back next week - would be very interesting to take baseline 'phat-boy' data vs. about a month later when back in <better> shape..

...oh, how come now reports of heartrate when 'exercising' with the wifee-poo? :p

Ha! You don't have to tell me Hudson. I'm going out to enjoy about 400+ miles of those PNW roads tomorrow, and I'm taking my own snacks and possibly even a lunch with me to enjoy when I get to my destination (wherever the hell that may be). I've been keeping a daily log of my food intake and exercise caloric burn (via heart rate monitor). I put on about 10 pounds doing the Cafe to Cafe tour last year, and that's what got my attention and caused me to turn my eating habits around.

Upside for the rest of the PNW guys...you won't have to worry about me eating any pie at the gatherings. More for the rest of you!

Hudson, this is a cool idea/product. I'm getting the yz back next week - would be very interesting to take baseline 'phat-boy' data vs. about a month later when back in <better> shape..

...oh, how come now reports of heartrate when 'exercising' with the wifee-poo? :p
Carver, I've always hoped the missus would allow me to bring electric gadgets into the bedroom, but somehow I imagined it would be different that this...

I think my diet for my Great Lakes Gold ride is the ideal. For the just over 2400 miles in something like 46 hours, I had a total of 2 snickers bars, and maybe a gallon of lemonade. That with riding through lots of rain and cold had to give me a negative calorie count.

Maybe all of "Chubby" folks aren't eating too much, we just aren't riding enough.