How long is the Zumo 660's power cable?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 28803

Ridin' and smilin'
Reaction score
Will it reach to the pillion area to be attached to the Fuzeblock? Or will I need extra power cable to run it that far?

Or, did you wire yours to something up front instead?

And, yes, I've searched and looked at all sorts of installation ideas and suggestions. But none of that answers my primary questions: how long is the power cord that comes with the Zumo 660 and will it reach the tail of the bike?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine is mounted on the steerng nut and the power cable is long enough to get to the seat - the mini-USB cable is not and the audio connections could be longer too. To the tail? No. But you can easily extend the power leads.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. BTW, what might I use the mini-USB cable for other than with my laptop? As for audio, I plan to use BT to my helmet so cables shouldn't be an issue.

I'll mount the 660 on a dash. I may end up putting a Fuzeblock up front but I want it easily accessible. Hm.

I don't know the exact length but ballpark it's about 30 or 40 feet!

I cut mine and plug it in the where the trickler charge plugs to the battery in the winter.

It only looks like a USB connection. All you can do is plug a traffic receiver into it (I have one on my ride) - if it was a 665 it would be where the XM radio plugs in.

Ok, thanks - to both of you.

Any idea what gauge wire I'd need to use to extend the power cable? I'm sure I can figure it out but if someone actually *knows* I won't have to guess.

The Zumo draws about 10 watts peak - you're safe with anything larger than 22 gauge - IIRC the wire in the cable is about 20 Ga.

Don't know the length but, I have a 660 powered from a Fuzeblock under the pillon seat to a Stem mount.

Iirc I had extra length. My Fuzeblock is in the very middle held in place by the two rubber straps at the tail.

Thanks.

Don't know the length but, I have a 660 powered from a Fuzeblock under the pillon seat to a Stem mount.

Iirc I had extra length. My Fuzeblock is in the very middle held in place by the two rubber straps at the tail.
Ok, thanks. I'll see how far it will reach; maybe I'll get lucky.

You mentioned using a dash mount, the routing you make may take a surprising amount of wire. We went directly to the battery on Dad's bike and mounted the 660 on the clutch reservoir bracket. This gave us plenty of extra wire. On my ST the battery is further back on the bike, actually under the passenger seat. Since I used a dash mount on the ST and had to route through the fairing I did have to splice about 10 inches to the power wires.

Two little cautions: 1. The plugs on the ends of the cable are NOT small and streamlined to make it easy to route through the bike. 2. With a dash mount if you route through the fairing, make sure you don't get in the way of the windshield mechanism. I have not torn into the nose of the FJR so that may not apply but on the Honda you could easily get the wires into the windshield mechanism.

I believe that bramfrank is correct on the wire size, I would have guessed 20 gauge. I am sorry we did not measure the length ahead of installation, I wish I could have provided you that info.

No sweat, RF. I appreciate the thought.

I'll probably go with a quick connect on Thursday since Friday morning begins the SS1000+BB1500 run. :D I'll come back and really dig in in a week or two. I'm installing the dash, the 660, fork lights, and a Fuzeblock. I'm afraid I wouldn't have time to do it all on Thursday and I'm not missing that ride!

Rooster, Just a thought. The 660 will come with the mount that piggybacks to the clutch reservoir. It will only take a few minutes to attach it there and temporarily route the wires to the battery for the duration of your trip. You could then put it where you want it permanently when you get time. There would be nothing permanent to indicate you had ever done it that way and it would actually not be in a bad spot for you in the meantime. Just roll up the extra cable like HotRodZilla suggested. We actually liked this position well enough to leave it there, it works well. Plus this will give you some experience with it in different locations.

Here is a shot of it on Dad's bike. Like I said you can do this in a few minutes without making permanent changes to the bike.

IMG_5614.jpg
">

Rooster, Just a thought. The 660 will come with the mount that piggybacks to the clutch reservoir. It will only take a few minutes to attach it there and temporarily route the wires to the battery for the duration of your trip. You could then put it where you want it permanently when you get time. There would be nothing permanent to indicate you had ever done it that way and it would actually not be in a bad spot for you in the meantime. Just roll up the extra cable like HotRodZilla suggested. We actually liked this position well enough to leave it there, it works well. Plus this will give you some experience with it in different locations.

Here is a shot of it on Dad's bike. Like I said you can do this in a few minutes without making permanent changes to the bike.

IMG_5614.jpg
">
You read my mind :D

I'm going to install lights on the forks too and I'll be happy to get that done on Thursday. I'll save the rest for a time when I don't have a deadline!