How many FJR pilots are aircraft pilots??

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Private SEL, 700 hrs, C-182, C-172, PA-28-140, C-152, C150, Schweizer sailplane twice. Now fly my new 06 feejer.

If this counts, then I do; if it doesn't, then I guess I don't. Probably I don't. :clapping: to those that really do.
futk40-main.jpg
Let me first say that I have nothing against radio controlled airplanes, boats, etc. I first bought my son a radio controlled boat with a cox motor and airplane prop that we had a blast with at the lake. When he got a little older, I took him to the local radio control hobby shop to buy a radio controlled plane. Not meaning anything offensive by my comment, I stated that I had a "real" plane. I then found myself sorrounded by a bunch of radio control guys that quickly told me that pilots have more trouble flying remote control than non pilots. Their argument was that you can not feel what the plane is doing while flying radio control. The talk kept getting bigger though to the point that to hear those guys talk you would think that it takes more effort to learn to fly radio control than it does to fly a "real" plane. I listened to all the talk for a while and then made the bold statement that even though I had never touched the controls of a radio control plane that I thought I could take off, fly the thing, and land successfully on the first try. They laughed me out of the store telling me that it was not humanly possible to fly unaided successfully the first time. One of the radio control guys came to our house the next weekend to help my son learn how to fly with the buddy box that I purchased for him. I actually did takeoff, fly two circles, and land the first time I tried. But, what I did not tell him is that I practiced a bunch during that week with my son's control connected to a computer simulator to get familiar with the function of each control. The next weekend my son and I went out by ourselves to fly the thing because I did not think I needed a coach at that point. I meant to take off and then transfer control to my son through the buddy box system. What happened though is that I took off and immediately crashed nose first demolishing the plane. I am just proud the guy from the shop was not there to witness it! I may have enjoyed a little beginner's luck the first time.

Comm/Inst/Multi

Mostly fly competition aerobatics. Had a Pitts S2B, Pitts S1T. Now have MX2 acro mount. Moved to airpark in

SW Fla 2 yrs ago. 4000' grass and a big box in my backyard for the MX2 and the FJR. :yahoo:

My wife gave me the go-ahead to get a private pilot's license in hopes that I would give up this crazy idea of riding motorcycles. Now that we just bought our first house, there's no money at all for that kind of hobby (planes, not bikes), but someday it'll happen.

It's especially going to happen if this crap security shit keeps going on at the airports. :blink: The rules for private pilots may be intrusive and irritating, but compared to the lines at security at the airport, well, it's gotta be better.

I'm pretty sure the security lines at Brackett Field and North Bend Airport are pretty quick! :lol:

Bob

Huntington Beach, CA

Have been flying since 1977. Now own with a partner a Piper Dakota VFR/IFR. Flying and biking have alot in common, freedom and control. Three dimensions in aircraft, two (usually unless you are Eviel Kneval like). Hope to fly til I am 90 and ride as well.

There certainly seems to be a lot of us...over proportionate to the total membership. I lot of talented pilots and great looking aircraft. And yes...I do think R/C counts as it is harder for me than flying my plane!

I think that Peter said it well...we must be seeking freedom and control to fly and ride an FJR.

Thanks to all

AJ

Count me in!

Got my PP in 1990, hours mostly on a Cherokee PA128-161.

Second kid and first mortgage did in my flying days.... :rolleyes:

Got my pilots certificate 30 years ago while wreching on light aircraft. Had a 1946 Luscombe I bought in a basket and put together. Flew in and out of a cow pasture with a friend that had a Cub for a couple of years. We used to have a ball. No battery, had to hand prop it. No radios. Just a whiskey compass that was about 90 degrees off and hand signals back and forth to each other while we flew. Used to have to buzz the cows to get them off the field so we could land. Problem was those cows were buzzed so often you could almost hit them in the head with a wheel and they didn't even look up! His uncle would hear us and go chase them off the runway with a pickup. Almost ran out of gas more than once trying to move them cows. Then we'd land and siphon gas out of the tractor and take off again. Now I wrench for a corporate operator and get a little stick time in an S76 helicopter on maintenance test hops. There is definetely no romance in corporate aviation though. Just a dog eat dog business.

Tried it all with ASMELI, charter, corporate, commuter. Gave it up for regular hours and more compensation. I still stay IFR current and belong to the local flying club. Scheduled to fly a C-T210 Monday.

Is anyone keeping a count?

Craig

After many years away from flying, I 've gotten the bug again to take to the skies. I'm going to go at it in a lot more relaxed manner this time, however. I'm fixing to purchase one of the new Light Sport breed of planes ( an Allegro 2000 ) just to enjoy the thrill of getting off the ground. I'm going to keep it at Boone, N.C. so I can enjoy casual mountain flying pretty much away from all the congested airways around Jacksonville. I can't believe all the newer rules, regulations, restricted areas....not to mention complex avionics....that have crept into general aviation since I was an active pilot. It is a whole different world than when I fluttered around in my old Piper J-3.

Last edited by a moderator:
Started out at Embry-Riddle Aero Univ - got bored quick. Wouldn't let me buzz the antelope in Northern Arizona! (yes, I attended the AZ campus in Prescott, not the Daytona one)

Flown a bunch but mostly not logged. Like to go out in my friends' cherried-out 1957 C182. We fly to the Berry Islands in the Bahamas mostly. Great cigars out there! Woo yeah baby! Add a little (ok a lot) Kalik Beer and crash out on Great Harbor for a few days. No phones, no Internet, no nothin' but drinkin', smokin' fine cee-gars, swimmin' with the dolphins and eating all the fresh catch daily from the boats. Man, that's the life.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh...........................................If only the island was big enough to go faster than 35 mph!

Started flying in 2003. Got my pp in 2004. I am planning on starting ifr training this fall in a friends 182. All my previous training has been in 150's and 172's. My uncle is about 2 weeks away from flying his RV-6 that has been under construction for about 5 years. I am looking forward to getting some time in it! We fly out of HBZ.

As my nom-de-plum suggests ... I also do the wing flappin thing.

Airforce trained in the RCAF on multiple zoomie fast air jets: ( CT-114 / T-33 / CF-5 / CF-18A ) and ended my 11 year stint on the EW CL 600.

Do the commercial airline thing now a days on the narrow body airbus ( A319/320/321 ). The thrill is from the Feejr these days which is a good thing in my world of work. Exciting is bad for airlines :D

Do have a low grade hankerin' for a Stearman Biplane though . Flew one for an hour several years ago and 'still' get a big ass'd grin on my face when I think about it.

Private in 1981. Aeronca Chief, C152, C172, Grumman Tiger, some Cherokee, some Comanchee,some sail plane. Owned a 1946 Aeronca 7AC Champ. Loved to hang out at the grass strips. Started by jumping out of airplanes, then learned how to fly them. Now seriously looking at an Ultra Light for my back yard.

Not licensed, can't be. But have gone up and talked the PIC outta the controls at every opportunity. As a result have some stick time in a J-3 and a Stearman, including inverted training in the Stear. But don't tell anyone... ;) Am willing to give right arm anytime someone offers a ride. Been a looooong time now. Anytime. Will buy fuel. Just doesn't happen tho......... :cry:

Not licensed
Might not be a problem, the kind of flying Odot does doesn't require a license. I would be willing to bet that some of his landings have been pretty rough! :rolleyes: :lol:

Not licensed
Might not be a problem, the kind of flying Odot does doesn't require a license. I would be willing to bet that some of his landings have been pretty rough! :rolleyes: :lol:
My flying requires my A&P license. Thus, "flight mechanic". I don't fly the plane...but them dudes scare the ever living crap out of me. Maybe I am just not used to landing. The taking off part and cruise part is easy. :dribble:

Ran into RonBB today and found out he has his license. My brother is a pilot and I have about 60 hours logged in the left seat, but I never had time to finish. (I probably have about 300 hours in the right seat!) I haven't flown since I got married, and that was almost six years ago.