How much gas does it take to mess up the paint?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CRMH Eagle

Reaction score
Ok, I'm taking off the gas tank to do the TBS and to apply 3m film. Right now it's freezing outside and I have a carport but only enclosed on 3 sides. I'm taking the tank inside cuz it's nice having a controlled environment. I live on a gravel road so even when the weather is nice there's too much traffic/dust to apply 3m film.

Anywhooo... had the tank off and I know I really screwed up-- had the gas lid open and I managed to turn the tank so that gas spilled onto the sides. I immediately took the tank inside to the bathroom and washed it about 4 times in the shower.

1st question: did I mess up the paint and/or the thin-piece of clear coat? And if I screwed it up any idea on how much to repaint it?

2nd question: do I need to use some type of polish/cleaner like Meguiars to get off all the gas residue? I'm assuming the most of the gas evaporated anyway.

3rd question: now that I have the tank off, should I perform the throttle adjustment on the spring below the tank area or in the hand grip? Which is most effective?

Crmh Eagle,

It would take a lot of gas, sitting for an extended time, with damage to the exsisting paint for the gas to infiltrate, before you would have to worry about damage. So long as you washed it with soap and water, it should be all set for your 3m tape.

The bulk of spilled gas does evaporate, and the greasy residue left-over comes off with the soap and water.

As for your third question, wait for some of the other members with more expierence to chime in, but I don't think there is a spring adjustment at the hand grip. Only the G2 Mod.

What ya think we're all dummies? Duh :dribble: yer paints fine. Film? prolly, Who cares. it's cheap anyways

#3. what the hell is this??????????????????????

Oh! ya bought a home lobotomy kit :blink:

WELL..... I think yer trollin.

jmho

:jester:

I'm no expert, but I have spilled gas on my tank several times and it has not caused any damage that I can see. So, in answer to your questions,

1.I doubt you hurt the paint or clear coat. Repaint would be costly and not needed.

2.I keep a good coat of wax on my tank and I think it helps protect it from the small gas spills that happen from time to time.

3.I am not aware of any throttle spring on the hand grip, there is one below the tank and it is well worth doing. I asked my dealer to do when I had my bike in for its first service and they did it for me.

If you plan to do a TBS, you will have to put the tank back on, as the bike will not run without it, so now that the tank is off, find that throttle spring and loosen it one turn.

Thanks guys, appreciate you helping me sleep tonight!

Not sure what you mean by "trollin." Can you explain that? Does that mean looking for trolls and fairies in the woods, or a fishing method? :glare:

Yeah, was gonna loosen the spring one "unwind" like others have done... but will wait till tomorrow cuz the wind is blowing fierce and it's COLD outside.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='CRMH Eagle' date='Dec 30 2007, 09:55 PM' post='351009'

Not sure what you mean by "trollin" either. Can you explain that? Does that mean looking for trolls and fairies in the woods, or a fishing method? :glare:

That's just his new game. He dresses like troll and his "friend" dresses like a fairy and they run through the woods going "hoo hoo hoo hoo". Don't ask what happens when he catches him, just think "meatspin" or google it. :rolleyes:

Meatspin? Should I even be asking? haha

Bustanut... not offended here. I should've looked at your nick and realized there's other around here that like to joke and prank just as much as me! :yahoo:

had the tank off and I know I really screwed up-- had the gas lid open and I managed to turn the tank so that gas spilled onto the sides. I immediately took the tank inside to the bathroom and washed it about 4 times in the shower.
1st question: did I mess up the paint and/or the thin-piece of clear coat? And if I screwed it up any idea on how much to repaint it?
If there was no ignition source :eek: you didn’t screw up. However, if your wife found you washing the shower with gas your screwed :ph34r:

2nd question: do I need to use some type of polish/cleaner like Meguiars to get off all the gas residue? I'm assuming the most of the gas evaporated anyway.
Not needed, but get it out of the way for the upcoming riding season then just ride.

3rd question: now that I have the tank off, should I perform the throttle adjustment on the spring below the tank area or in the hand grip? Which is most effective?
The only 'adjustable' springs are the ones below the tank. This is a personal choice, are you unhappy with the force it takes to operate the throttle? Are you unhappy with the non-linear nature of the throttle? The spring under the tank is partly unwound to reduce return force. The throttle tube gets replaced with a G2 tube to fix the non-linear throttle response. If you aren’t unhappy with any of this, just let it be.