How much time to change plugs

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone else that went from a GenI to a GenII notice that the damn plug recess is smaller diameter? I had bought a really nice magnetic socket when I had my '04, and it wont fit in the recess in the "08. I had to try 4 different sockets before I found one thin enough to go down the hole.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone else that went from a GenI to a GenII notice that the damn plug recess is smaller diameter? I had bought a really nice magnetic socket when I had my '04, and it wont fit in the recess in the "08. I had to try 4 different sockets before I found one thin enough to go down the hole.
Not having a Gen II, I haven't -- but, it is an industry trend to use decreasingly smaller diameter spark-plugs as the number of valves, sizes of valves. need for cooling increases. Along with the physical necessity of needing a sufficient amount of metal for component (cyl-head) 'sound-ness' -- especially, if/as (overall) physical size decreases.

The previous can be one of the disadvantages that can come with increasingly larger engine displacements on a given platform -- a lessening of the amount of structural material (metal)? Often, a good race-engine technique -- making a larger engine from a smaller one...., but, there can be limits. :unsure:

Nice find, S-C....