How stable is Sta-bil?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Toss it. Even Sta-bil has a limited shelf life. I think it says something on the bottle about that. Not sure; might just be making that up in my head.

+1 on previous post. Toss it, there is a two year shelf life and even a spot on the back label to write in the date it was opened. Are you using E-10 fuels in South Korea? If you are look into StarTron fuel treatment it was formulated with ethanol cut fuels in mind. Of course I'm not sure if it is readily available outside of the US. Their website is www.startron.com.

Been seeing a "marine" Sta-bil on the shelves that is supposed to work with ethanol fuels. Picked up a bottle but haven't used it, yet.

A product called "Gas Shok" works considerably better (IMHO) than stabil and is designed to counter the effects of ethonol. I learned about it at my local marina as I was having problems with my fuel system in the boat. Not only does it negate the effects of ethonol it keeps the entire fuel system clean and stabilzes the fuel.

I've personally seen fuel start to varnish up a float bowl (on a lawn mower) with stabil at about a month. Its better than nothing however I won't use it again.

I just removed 8 month old regular gas treated with "Gas Shok" out of my generator (end of hurricane season). It still smelled fresh, I also pulled the float bowl, same machine, it was spotless. I'm currently burning off that 8 month old fuel in my KLR 250 without any problems..

Highly recommended.

thankfully the military (AAFES PX) only sells real gas....regular is 93 octane and premium 98 according to the stickers on the pump. Fuel comes from a local contractor and we are running $2.95 for reg and $3.15 for the high test.

I'll toss the bottle, although my friends at the local PX are out of stock....I imagine that my down time is less than 90 days.

PS the local gas price is about $6/gal...not that it stops ANYONE from driving, or slows the local economy for that matter...

FYI to all,

Reduced fuel longevity: A gasoline/ethanol blend absorbs water until it triggers phase separation. The blend has a 90-day product life in a closed tank, but lasts just 30 to 45 days in a vented tank often found in classic cars. With 10 percent ethanol blends, owners are supposed to replace the fuel in vented tanks about once a month by driving or draining, taking into consideration the humidity in the atmosphere and temperatures.

The key problem is that ethanol absorbs water from the atmosphere. In fact, fuel with 10 percent ethanol absorbs up to 50 times more water than standard gasoline. Older gas tanks found in many classic cars vent to the atmosphere, increasing the likelihood that moisture will be absorbed into the gas tank at a rapid pace.

FYI to all,

Reduced fuel longevity: A gasoline/ethanol blend absorbs water until it triggers phase separation. The blend has a 90-day product life in a closed tank, but lasts just 30 to 45 days in a vented tank often found in classic cars. With 10 percent ethanol blends, owners are supposed to replace the fuel in vented tanks about once a month by driving or draining, taking into consideration the humidity in the atmosphere and temperatures.

The key problem is that ethanol absorbs water from the atmosphere. In fact, fuel with 10 percent ethanol absorbs up to 50 times more water than standard gasoline. Older gas tanks found in many classic cars vent to the atmosphere, increasing the likelihood that moisture will be absorbed into the gas tank at a rapid pace.
Good post, Dave.

A few things to build off those notes:

Fuel Injected bikes do not typically have tanks with open ventilation. A bike is generally only stored for longer periods during winter months when it's too damn cold to ride. :angry: Luckily for us northerners ( :huh: ?) that is coincidentally when the outside air temperatures are below freezing for long periods, at which time the air does not support any moisture content.

Leaving your bike's fuel tank full of gas (for the minimum air space) is always a good idea. In the relatively low humidity of the winter months, storage for a few months should not be a big problem with water absorption. It is actually somewhat beneficial that the alcohol absorbs what little amount of water (vapor) does make its way into your tank, as this prevents the water from collecting at the bottom of the tank and directly contacting the bare steel inside, which can result in corrosion (rust).

Last edited by a moderator:
It is actually somewhat beneficial that the alcohol absorbs what little amount of water (vapor) does make its way into your tank, as this prevents the water from collecting at the bottom of the tank and directly contacting the bare steel inside, which can result in corrosion (rust).
I always thought it was hilarious to watch people paying $1.50 for a 12 oz. bottle of HEET (95% alcohol)to remove the water from their gasoline when they had just pumped gasoline containing 5 times that much alcohol into their tank. :rolleyes:

+1 on that.

Of course, it wasn't always that way. Back in the good ole' days when gasoline had other oxegenation agents (remember MTBE?) the water had no place to go, and so would end up pooling someplace in the fuel system.

The morning after we were married (33 years ago) we were headed up to ski country for the honeymoon. It was wicked cold that morning. My 1975 Mazda RX-3 started bucking like a wild bronco when we first took it out on the highway. It eventually stallled out, but I was then able to restart it and drive it gingerly to a place where I could check it out. Turns out that water (in the solid form) had found its way into the fuel filter and was impeding fuel flow.

That was a fairly common thing back in those days. With the change to alcohol additives you never hear of that anymore.

+1 on that.

Of course, it wasn't always that way. Back in the good ole' days when gasoline had other oxegenation agents (remember MTBE?) the water had no place to go, and so would end up pooling someplace in the fuel system.

The morning after we were married (33 years ago) we were headed up to ski country for the honeymoon. It was wicked cold that morning. My 1975 Mazda RX-3 started bucking like a wild bronco when we first took it out on the highway. It eventually stallled out, but I was then able to restart it and drive it gingerly to a place where I could check it out. Turns out that water (in the solid form) had found its way into the fuel filter and was impeding fuel flow.

That was a fairly common thing back in those days. With the change to alcohol additives you never hear of that anymore.
Quite true. Growing up in the mountains of extreme NW NJ and having a mechanically inclined Dad, we as kids were taught the importance of alcohol in the gas tank starting in late fall. Usually a bottle every 3 or 4 tankfulls of gas.

Been seeing a "marine" Sta-bil on the shelves that is supposed to work with ethanol fuels. Picked up a bottle but haven't used it, yet.
I've used it this winter in both my wife's bike and mine.

I'll know more in the spring.