How to buy an FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRBluesman

Some call me... The STIG!
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I'm pretty much sold on the FJR, I'm looking to buy a used 2004 or 2005. What should I look for, good and bad, when checking out a sellers bike? What little things can bite me on a FJR, you know the quirky things.

Thanks. That helped me on the ticking issue and lube maybe needed on the pumpkin and shaft splines. Once the splines are lubed is this a common maintenance item? My Beemer K1100 needed the input shaft spline lubed each year, what a pain. I had to pull the entire back end of the bike off and pull the tranny to lub the splines. I lost a tranny that way by neglecting it for a year. With all that hassle you might as well change the clutch while in there. Over lube it and the grease flies off and your clutch slips. Anyway, I hope the FJR isn't an every other year tranny dissassembly to lube parts.

Ask for his/her maintenance records. Ask why he/she is selling. Eyeball the bike overall to see if it looks like it was "taken care of." From personal experience, to see if it's been dropped, check for nicks on the bar ends and check the sidebags along the bottom edge for scuff marks. If it doesn't have sliders any damage will probably be more evident. Ride it and see how it feels. Look for any leaks, dirt around drain plugs, seals, gaskets, etc. Ask about any mods and/or changes. When you get right down to it, unless you tear it down and check it mechanically, you're going to have to rely on your eyeballs and senses and what you think of the person selling it.

Good luck, it's a great bike. And - good advice from squeezer.

Bluesman, I too, used to own a Beemer and lubing the shaft splines on the FJR is so easy it's like changing the oil - nothing like tearing the bike in half like had to be done on the K75s.

You can do the spline lube in less than an hour and that's not hurrying at all.

The FJR is VERY easy to perform all the routine maintenance on and well-thought out vehicle for doing it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bluesman, I too, used to own a Beemer and lubing the shaft splines on the FJR is so easy it's like changing the oil - nothing like tearing the bike in half like had to be done on the K75s.
You can do the spline lube in less than an hour and that's not hurrying at all.

The FJR is VERY easy to perform all the routine maintenance on and well-thought out vehicle for doing it.
Yeah - what he said. I have a K75 and it's a PITA - mucho easy on the FJR

Thanks guys for all your advise, great forum here. I looked up on FJRTech.com and saw the drive shaft spline lube detail, what a difference! Yamaha did it right, keep the brake caliper on the floating side not the drive shaft side. No need to tear down the brake system and re-prime the ABS etc. I love it! It does look pretty easy to maintain. I just need to find that one for the price…

I have my Duc for the canyons and track looking for my commuter bike and traveling bike. The FJR looks like the ride!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm pretty much sold on the FJR, I'm looking to buy a used 2004 or 2005. What should I look for, good and bad, when checking out a sellers bike? What little things can bite me on a FJR, you know the quirky things.
Check this link for a check list of things to look for in any new bike purchase, but beware...the salesman will hate you for taking the time to be certain that they did things right...https://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/NewBikeList.html

<_<