How to disable 2007ae windshield

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AGilmore

Reaction score
I want to disable the auto retract on the windshield. My bike is a 2007AE and other post it doesn't appear to be the same plug. I've searched but no results. Any help would be appreciated

AGilmore, you're probably lucky to post this on a Monday rather than Friday. I'm pretty sure what RH is saying is, you must not have read the Gen II Bin-O-Facts. Floridians have a very strange accent. :unsure:

Matter of fact I did read it plus another site with how to pictures, either I'm missing where the plug is or my bike module is different.

Matter of fact I did read it plus another site with how to pictures, either I'm missing where the plug is or my bike module is different.
The plug on mine (gen I) was moved around to where I accessed it from the front when I had the cowling off. I have no idea why it was not accessible with just the battery and dash panels off, or why the plug was relocated, but it was. The Gen II is even more crowded along that cowling. The Gen II retract thread that is linked from the FAQ clearly has the front cowling off, and the front subframe is visible in several shots Click. If you plan to do any modifications like HID lighting, it might be useful to do everything at once if you think you'll need to pull the cowl. It's not too bad of a job, and useful in learning more about the bike.

Have you done or verified the recalls?

I want to disable the auto retract on the windshield. My bike is a 2007AE and other post it doesn't appear to be the same plug. I've searched but no results. Any help would be appreciated
I believe the gen I FJR's (05 and earlier) have the connector in a different location. On my 07, the connector is located forward of the right headlight adjuster. It's tight working in that area, but possible to disconnect with only minimal cussing.

I don't know what you've seen, but this shows the connector disconnected on my (old) '06:

(Click on image for larger view)

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a heck of a time locating the connector on my 08? The above picture is what I used but in my case the offending coupling was almost at the center of and behind the instrument cluster? It was tightly wound into the wiring harness bundle and without removing the front cowling I wasn't sure I had the correct one? I believe Fred W counselled me as I was about to cut wires and he shouted Don't! That is where I robbed my switched power to my power distribution box!

0_DSCF8349.JPG
That's exactly where mine was, but I did have to fish around blindly a bit in there until I found it.

It would make an interesting poll to see how many of us did NOT disable the windshield auto-retract. Talk about a feature most would opt-out of.

It would make an interesting poll to see how many of us did NOT disable the windshield auto-retract. Talk about a feature most would opt-out of.
The Yamaha engineer who designed that had previously suggested another feature that was rejected by the design committee. Auto tire-deflate. You had to pump your tires back up after every stop. Supposed to prolong tread life, he said.

For one, I reverted to original. FJR looks so ugly parked with its screen up. JMHO.

1323802911[/url]' post='920767']It would make an interesting poll to see how many of us did NOT disable the windshield auto-retract. Talk about a feature most would opt-out of.
For one, I reverted to original. FJR looks so ugly parked with its screen up. JMHO.
I, too, prefer the way it looks with the screen down - I almost always ride with it fully down, unless its raining or below 30 degrees, or both (then, I've heard, the rain turns into something called snow - don't get much of that around here).

What would be really cool would a feature that remembers where it was, so when you power down, it retracts, then goes back when you start back up. Although that could be a bit of a surprise if you're not expecting it.

It doesn't make any sense to me to hear that some people are disabling the shield auto-retract. If the shield didn't auto-retract, I suspect those same people would be asking how they could make it do so.