How to download music on Garmin 2730?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I'mAllIn

Reaction score
I remember reading something about exporting songs from iTunes to the 2730, but can't find it. What's the trick?

Thanks,

DON'T DO IT!!!!!

Maybe the new software has changed, but a Garmin Rep. told me to ONLY use mp3 files. iTunes does NOT use mp3, but some other Apple proprietary thing.

The rep said iTunes files would cause the unit to fail and need to be serviced at Garmin.

Thats what he said. YMMV.

GZ

DON'T DO IT!!!!!
Maybe the new software has changed, but a Garmin Rep. told me to ONLY use mp3 files. iTunes does NOT use mp3, but some other Apple proprietary thing.

The rep said iTunes files would cause the unit to fail and need to be serviced at Garmin.

Thats what he said. YMMV.

GZ
I thought there was a way to convert iTunes to MP3 format for this purpose?!?!?!?!?

I have a program that will rip the iTunes format to a CD in mp3 format. From there it is pretty easy. Kind of a pain, but the iTunes site is a good one so I put up with it.

Songs purchased from itunes will work just fine, here's how:

1. Purchase the song(s) in the iTunes store

-The songs will be copy protected in the Apple (typically .aac) format

-They will only work on a computer that you authorize (you can authorize up to 5)

-Great, now what the F*** do I do?

2. Burn an Audio music CD that contains your desired song(s) from within iTunes

3. Reimport these songs (RIP your CD you just burned) back into iTunes or another program for that matter to .mp3 format.

-The song(s) are now in a non-copy protected straight .mp3 format

4. Drag the non-copy protected .mp3(s) from your hard drive storage location (i.e. Not directly from iTunes) to your Garmin while connected in USB storage mode.

I rarely use iTunes, my wife uses the hell out it, but I prefer to buy standard CD's still.

I keep a few CDRW's around just for this purpose so I don't have to waste a non-eraseable CDR just to unlock my iTunes songs.

Once you do it a few times, it isn't that bad.

I don't see copy protection of some kind going away anytime soon.

Google search for unlock iTunes will turn up lots of ways to do this, here is one.

Last edited by a moderator:
What about music that I own (CDs) that I uploaded to iTunes? Can I pull that music down or do I need to reload the individual CDs into the 2730?

Itunes is capable of ripping songs from a CD into mp3 format.

from the menu

Edit > Preferences > Advance > Importing

The second box down controls what format your music will be ripped to.

I am not condoning this but you could also look online for a tool call Jhymn, it will remove the copy protection form the music you buy and allow you to convert to mp3.

hope this helps

Keone

What about music that I own (CDs) that I uploaded to iTunes? Can I pull that music down or do I need to reload the individual CDs into the 2730?
CD's you own and rip into iTunes are not copy protected as the songs you buy directly from the iTunes store are.

The only other thing that could prevent you from playing your iTunes/ CD ripped songs would be the format.

iTunes (by default) does not rip to .mp3 (2730 default format) so you will have to check that setting in the options and possibly re-rip those songs for Gamin use.

I am not condoning this but you could also look online for a tool call Jhymn, it will remove the copy protection form the music you buy and allow you to convert to mp3.
If you pay for the music, you should be able to do whatever the hell you want with it (for personal use only of course)

Copy protection is just a burden on the technically challenged consumer, someone will always break it, go around it or just plain avoid it.

We are not talking any sort of theft here (even in the grayest of areas)

Joe consumer bought his songs and wants to play them on anything he owns, it shouldn't require a computer science major to figure it out.

Keone: I'm not saying this is your angle or putting words in your mouth. Just the fact I don't think condoning even has a place in this topic.

Bottom line, nothing wrong with fair use of something you legally obtained which has been strangled by some pansy ass lawyer!

If anyone else has questions on how some of this fancy electronic gadgetry we spend our hard earned bucks on works, post up!

One of us will gladly answer back :)