How to install sound system in the FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't have one, but one of my riding buddies does. It seems to do what she needs, but in a real hard rain, the display clouds up and the cd becomes unusable -could be just a defective unit. If you will only need cb then this is the route I would go, but if you think that you will want to use frs/gmrs radios at all, then starcom or autocom it the way to go as you can switch between cb and frs at will with the proper cables. Also, if you want to add cell phone capabilities then the J&M gets real expensive. I would also not use J&M'2 antenna and get a Firestick Firefly NGP as it is cheaper and I think the same antenna without the added length options.

I would have gone this route, but I travel with two groups: Wings, ventures and harleys with cb and sport bikes with frs. Hope this helped.

Last edited by a moderator:
Direct answer is that I have not. Personally, I've got my XM/MP3 and that's all I need or want at this point.

However, the folks who are big into tying all sorts of things together seem to go far beyond what this offers in a number of ways and do it for less money. Try searching on the terms audio, blue tooth, autocom, chatterbox, etc. I'm suggesting the search because there are multiple ways to do audio and you don't mention what your priorities are.

Bob

However, the folks who are big into tying all sorts of things together seem to go far beyond what this offers in a number of ways and do it for less money. Try searching on the terms audio, blue tooth, autocom, chatterbox, etc. I'm suggesting the search because there are multiple ways to do audio and you don't mention what your priorities are.
Bob
Yeah, what he said.

Installing sound system

1. Get MP3 player.

2. Get tank bag.

3. Get custom-molded in-ear speakers.

4. plug them together, place MP3 player in tank bag, and ride.

I use the I-Jet wireless remote velcroed on the brake reservoir and I-pod in my breast pocket feeding my Challenger earplugs with speakers. Been working great for two years . Much easier and safer than I pod in tank bag and easy to use anywhere.

I don't like hard objects in my pockets as they can cause issues in the event of a wreck. My old MP3 player is a 20Gb model that's hard drive based, so is about the size of a cigarette pack (bigger and harder that I would want to have smashing into my ribs or hip). It's also about 6+ years old and has done serious miles without failure by resting, padded on top of a windshield-cleaning-cloth in my tank bag, out of the weather and (sorta) dampened from most shocks.

But yeah, in a jacket pocket would work too.

The trick is that, unless you need bike-to-bike comm, mode bike "systems" are overkill; both in complexity and in cost.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kieth said:
Everyone kind of missed the point, the first question to ask is what do you want the audio system to do.
There are so many variations that it can get pretty complicated and your needs may change over time and as your riding evolves.

Get something that can accomplish what you want now and could grow and expand without a lot of expense. Call me to discuss any and all types of systems. Kieth in Tulsa 918-446-2245 [email protected]

I am a autocom, mixit, challenger dealer......but a rider first. "LETS RIDE" :clapping:
Thanks Keith, will do.

Mike

You'r soliciting in the technical discussions area Keith......

Release the Dogs.................

Good night

-Don