how to lift fjr for maintenance

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dexter10

Reaction score
wondering how or what is the best way to lift my bike to install kouba links. I have an atv/bike lift, but thought it would put too much pressure on the exhaust. thoughts?

Why not the centerstand? Not enough clearance? If not, hoist the back of the bike using tie down straps affixed to some overhead support. I use a ladder with a 2x10 at the top.

wondering how or what is the best way to lift my bike to install kouba links. I have an atv/bike lift, but thought it would put too much pressure on the exhaust. thoughts?
I use my lift when removing and installing the rear shock. I also used it when installing Kouba Links on LastChance's bike.

I use my lift when removing and installing the rear shock. I also used it when installing Kouba Links on LastChance's bike.

thanks for the replies!
I've changed the height numerous times-different heights, back to stock, down again, etc. and never had the bike on anything other than the center stand. Also changed shocks several times on the '05 and '08-no problems.

I jack it up on the pipes all the time after some knowledgable folks told me they're made to handle this. SO far no problems.

Although .. I have the stock pipes. Not sure if any aftermarket ones would hold up.

If you have a shop or garage with exposed trusses, this works quite well. Oh you'll need a puller too!

DSCF0339.jpg

DSCF0340.jpg

DSCF0341.jpg

Dexter, use the center stand and put a 2x4 under the back wheel-when it comes time to line up the bolts holes you only need to lever the back tire up or down a bit. Nothing needs to be complicated to change your links.

I use a sling under the handlebars and lift using a block and tackle. I have one of those front wheel 90 degree stands but didn't find it easy to use.

The reason I used the block and tackle was that last time I had the front tire replaced the shop said to just bring the wheel in because they didn't have time to lift the bike, remove the wheel etc.

I welded two pieces of angle iron together to make a beam for the lift and it sits across two shelves at the back of my garage. You don't want to see my garage, LOL.