How to make a silky smooth launch on the AE

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

SilverStreak

The situation:

You are at a STOP light or STOP sign in 1st gear on the AE.

Left foot down.

Right foot pressed lightly on the rear brake.

From idle, roll on the throttle to accelerate.

After moving forward, release the rear brake.

The FJR will take-off like a scooter - Ultra Smooth.

What happens? (I think)

Depressing the rear brake over-rides the computer eliminating much of the slippage under 1300 RPM and the sudden clutch engagement that follows.

Pressing the rear brake make the YCCS engage the clutch.

That's what I've been doing.

No mods installed.

Maybe this helps somebody.

SilverStreak

forum_150.jpg

I always thought my AE took off ultra smooth. After it's warmed up. <_<

I'd try that technique, but 1.) I never (well hardly ever) use the rear brake, and B.) I have to use both feet on the ground when I stop, which is why... see number 1. :D

Same here. Other than the cold "shudder" the first time I take off on it, mine has always been very smooth. Certainly worth a try for those with issues however. I did discover something that was rather fun the other day however. While sitting at a stoplight on a 4 lane street, two guys in a truck in the lane next to me were checking out the bike. When the light changed, I took off with my left hand hanging down at my side. You should have seen them looking at me at the next light. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Same here. Other than the cold "shudder" the first time I take off on it, mine has always been very smooth. Certainly worth a try for those with issues however. I did discover something that was rather fun the other day however. While sitting at a stoplight on a 4 lane street, two guys in a truck in the lane next to me were checking out the bike. When the light changed, I took off with my left hand hanging down at my side. You should have seen them looking at me at the next light. :D

I love doing that!!! From light to light. Who needs both hands?! :yahoo:

The situation:You are at a STOP light or STOP sign in 1st gear on the AE.

Left foot down.

What happens? (I think)

Depressing the rear brake over-rides the computer eliminating much of the slippage under 1300 RPM and the sudden clutch engagement that follows.

No mods installed.

SilverStreak

forum_150.jpg
For those AE riders that want to launch like in a dragrace, use the above described technique except raise the throttle to above 1300 rpms, hold the front and rear brakes and when you want to launch, release both brakes. It will launch like a rocket. It is very close to the way I use to dragrace back in the 60s with my automatic Pontiac V8 that had a Hydramatic transmission.

I always thought my AE took off ultra smooth. After it's warmed up. <_<
I'd try that technique, but 1.) I never (well hardly ever) use the rear brake, and B.) I have to use both feet on the ground when I stop, which is why... see number 1. :D
1. Why not use the rear brake? There are definitely times when it's helpful.

2. I don't mean to put you on the spot, but I've seen a few people do this "two feet on the ground" thing and it looks all kinds of awkward! What are the benefits?

:blink:

2. I don't mean to put you on the spot, but I've seen a few people do this "two feet on the ground" thing and it looks all kinds of awkward! What are the benefits?
It's practice for when the linked brakes don't, um, link or brake or something......... :eek:

I don't have an AE, but I want to comment on the rear brake thing. I always feel awkward with one foot on the ground and the other on the rear brake when stopped so I use the front brake. I just roll on a little throttle with my thumb and release the front brake once the clutch starts to engage. The right hand action is similar to that used when blipping the throttle to downshift while braking.

1. Why not use the rear brake? There are definitely times when it's helpful.2. I don't mean to put you on the spot, but I've seen a few people do this "two feet on the ground" thing and it looks all kinds of awkward! What are the benefits?

Yes there are many times the rear brake is extremely beneficial. :blink: Especially on a dirt bike. Or a bike in the dirt.

I'm so short, it's hard for me to touch the freakin ground. SO I use two feet (actually toes). Sometimes one foot puts me a little too far over center. You dig? :glare: It's hard enough to keep this bike upright without the kickstand letting it fall over. :blink: talk about looking awkward, you should see me try to keep the bike upright when I get into one of those wonderful truck tire trenches around town. YIKES!!! :angry2:

Another thing that I have found makes the takeoff much smoother and more controllable is the following. Give it throttle until you feel the bike start to move. Now hold the throttle there rather than continuing to roll it on until the bike is underway. The bike will continue to accellerate as the clutch engages even though the throttle is being held at a steady position. Once the bike is underway and the clutch is fully engaged, now roll on the throttle some more and ride away.

Roy

Another thing that I have found makes the takeoff much smoother and more controllable is the following. Give it throttle until you feel the bike start to move. Now hold the throttle there rather than continuing to roll it on until the bike is underway. The bike will continue to accellerate as the clutch engages even though the throttle is being held at a steady position. Once the bike is underway and the clutch is fully engaged, now roll on the throttle some more and ride away.Roy
One of the residual side-effects of this and other good posts is that there has been no endless complaints about the "herky-jerky" throttle, fixes, and so on.

Notwithstanding, it probably won't last much longer. :unsure:

SilverStreak

IIAB-DFI

The situation:

You are at a STOP light or STOP sign in 1st gear on the AE.

Left foot down.

What happens? (I think)

No mods installed.

SilverStreak

forum_150.jpg
For those AE riders that want to launch like in a dragrace, use the above described technique except raise the throttle to above 1300 rpms, hold the front and rear brakes and when you want to launch, release both brakes. It will launch like a rocket. It is very close to the way I use to dragrace back in the 60s with my automatic Pontiac V8 that had a Hydramatic transmission.
I'm gonna have to try that now. THEN I am tellin my wife it is your fault fer tellin me the trick (if it works) :yahoo:

Just tried it over a quick 30 min ride around town. It really did seem to make a difference, although the timing takes a little practice. Not sure why it works but it does seem to make the 1-2 shift quicker.

There is nothing quite so spooky as putting a foot down into emptyness.
BTDT, dropped it.
Another bad feeling is having a bootlace loop get caught on the bike before it reaches the ground. Luckily, that time, The weight was toward the other side. No more exposed laces for me....

Same here. Other than the cold "shudder" the first time I take off on it, mine has always been very smooth.
I have a 2006 AE

Yesterday I brought it in for the 10KM pit stop at the dealer. I had already notified him to check with Yamaha for the no-sweep-on-power-on dash problem, and the cold start shuddering of the clutch.

Now they did install a new dash under warranty (no cost) meaning my odometer is back to zero. But they also got the instruction from Yamaha to change some clutch computer setting.

Now the take off is much smoother with a cold bike, the shudder almost completely dissappeared. Also I noticed the clutch engages smoother and LATER after shifting. So its not the RPM clutch value which is changed by I guess something like the clutch action speed time.

I will ask the dealer mechanic asap what exactly the parameter is they have changed for me.

It was getting used to for a few minutes but I really love the handling now.

Take care,

-Flere.

1. Why not use the rear brake? There are definitely times when it's helpful.

Yes there are many times the rear brake is extremely beneficial. :blink: Especially on a dirt bike. Or a bike in the dirt.

I'm so short, it's hard for me to touch the freakin ground. SO I use two feet (actually toes). Sometimes one foot puts me a little too far over center. You dig? :glare: It's hard enough to keep this bike upright without the kickstand letting it fall over. :blink: talk about looking awkward, you should see me try to keep the bike upright when I get into one of those wonderful truck tire trenches around town. YIKES!!! :angry2:
The trick is to avoid riding in the center of your lane where the "high spot" is. It's a bad idea anyway since that is where all the oil drippings are, especially at intersections where the cars and trucks have been sitting in one place for a while. Instead get your wheels down in the rut where the trucks have compressed the roadbed. It will bring the road up to you some.

Of course all of this is conjecture on my part because at 6'2" I have no problem flat footing even if I am sitting on the crown.