how to make the AE default to hand shift.....

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

85turbo

Reaction score
i hate that i have to select the hand shifter every time i turn the key on.

i want to be able to have it default to hand shift.

i had an idea this afternoon on how it might be acomplished.

with the hand shifter turned on, the foot shifter still works.

this means that if (in theory) if you tie into the wires from the foot shifter,and connect these to the hand shifter.

it should "default" to hand shift.

as the foot shifter on the AE is only a switch and is not directly linked to the trans, this should work.

im no electrical engineer, so i throw this out there for someone better at these things to have a look see.

anyone out there willing to see if this is do-able ?

jason

Mess with your bike first then let me know if it works :rolleyes:

I can't tell you how many times I've left a gas station without pushing that stupid button!!

i have almost finished this modification.

it took a little longer than i had hoped, and cost more than i expected it to,

but if it works, i will be happy.

if it does work (i have no reason to suspect it wont) ill post pics and info in the next few days.

it will be a black box mod with 4 wires coming from it.

1 for batt +

1 for GND

1 for IGN &

1 for the push button (AE) circuit.

if all goes as planned, i will post all relevant info for anyone to copy the design.

i will even consider building them for people if there's interest.

stay tuned.....

jason.

yes, that's what the proposed mod will do.

once i install it (hopefully this weekend) ill post on how it works.

it is basically a delayed timer built into a relay.

it waits 2 seconds from ign turn on, then energises the relay for 2 seconds.

then the relay drops out and stays out untill the ign is turned back on again.

i see no reason why it wont work. just need the time to get it installed.

https://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m41/exa.../Picture002.jpg

here is a pic of the relay (i had it custom made for this application)

as the timer relay can only switch the positive line (and the AE switch is negative, i had to use a second relay)

it can only switch positive power due to the timing circuitry inside the relay. i have used the timer

relay to switch a second (stock automotive relay) so that it can switch the negative needed for the AE switch.

here is a pic of the two relays. the wiring is not yet finished yet, but once its done

it will all fit neatly into this little box.

https://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m41/exa.../Picture005.jpg

jason

While i dont know the details as well, why cant u just use a simple timing circuit? Are the signals not TTL/CMOS, or not drivable with a FET? It looks from the wiring diagram that i have that the signals all come from the MCU, so they should be protected reasonably well (not sure if this is a safe assumption!) but protection is simple if not. Custom making a time delay relay sounds like quite a bit of grief. But maybe not. Either way I like the idea of a selectable default.

the problem with the cmos / ttl idea is while it would probably work fine, im no electronic engineer.

the switch is just a simple push button (momentary) that earths the purple/black wire.

when the MCU "sees" a negative feed on this wire, it arms the AE system.

the delayed timer was nesesary (sp?) due to the fact that the MCU is not accepting the negative

input at turn on. there is a small delay before the MCU will accept the negative triger input.

i believe that the system is probably performing a POST (Power On Self Test)

during this test the system is inactive. hence the requirement for a delay before trigering the negative wire.

if this prototype does work, i will investigate having a friend design a more simple solid state system.

it will most likely be cheaper and more reliable (no moving parts)

i intend to try to install it this weekend.

will post the results.

jason

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds good.

Ill volunteer to design a solid state system if yours works as planned. Actually I have a simple idea for a design already that might work. I wont be able to work on it for a few more weeks til i finish up my thesis. But i'd be willing to design and probably make them for people on the forum if there was enough demand.

i have finished making the box.

i've done a proof of concept test, and it does indeed work.

i will get it mounted on the bike on sunday and post a small

video of the system "self arming" :D

i will investigate having a smaller solid state unit made up.

it would no doubt be smaller and cheaper, and more reliable

with no moving parts.

here is a pic of the finished prototype. it's not much to look at.

https://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m41/exa.../Picture009.jpg

stay tuned.

jason

UPDATE......

im in the middle of the install right now.

i have the box installed and powered up. it is working. the relays are doing their thing as they are supposed to.

i was gonna tap into the AE wire up near the grip, but decided to try to tap into the signal wire closer to the MCU.

so i dont have to run yet another wire over the engine and up to the front of the bike.

im having trouble finding the wire where it enters the MCU.

i have looked over the wiring diagrams. i think i have the correct wire singled out.

im gonna go back down to my garage and see if i can test that it is the correct one with my trusty multi meter.

wouldnt want to hook up the incorrect wire....that could get mighty expensive, mighty quickly.....

on another note, i think the 2 sec delay built into the prototype is a little long.

once this design is proven to work, i think the next version will be about 1 second.

with any luck, i will have a short video up later tonight.

jason

as promised..

the video is from my phone, and its a little dark.

but it shows the AE system "self arming"

jason.

there are two of us working on this right now.

so these will be available in the not too distant future.....

jason

jason
Not wanting to be considered negative on this idea But, I would think any mod like this being designed and installed would void any Yamaha warranty for the AE. Could be wrong, just a comment.r

jason
Not wanting to be considered negative on this idea But, I would think any mod like this being designed and installed would void any Yamaha warranty for the AE. Could be wrong, just a comment.r
Google the term "Moss Magnuson Act"

Ok, here is an update:

I have completed a prototype solid state circuit and tested it on the bike. It works. I will be doing a little tweeking and more rigorous testing to ensure it will work during normal operating conditions this week. I believe the design is solid, and it is in complete an functional enough form, so I will be ordering some parts for it. I anticipate it will be available within 2-3 weeks if all goes as planned. I am very busy finishing up school, however, so I cant make any promises.

The device is very compact. It will most likely be less than 3/4 cubic inch, or about half the size of a normal relay. To install the device, three wires need to be spliced into the harness that is accessible right under the seat.

I would like to know whether people would prefer to solder in the device (the MUCH better way of doing it), or if I should provide some sort of crimp terminal (the MUCH crappier way of doing it).

Here is a very dark (sorry, best the camera could do) video of the device working.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tq6EhuPeASE

-Dan