How to Protect my FJR From The Elements

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got the tour king 1/2 cover from Casporttouring.com. $38.00 plus shipping. It is compact and travels well, but in looking at JimLor's pictures, I think his would stay on better in a wind.

I leave mine out in the rain it helps remove bugs and crud that dont come off when i wash it. After all, my bikes get a bath twice a year wether they need it or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's are some pictures:
Here's what it looks like in the bag as sitting on my rear seat and on the deck with a tape measure. 12" x 6" (Bag), you can squish it smaller.

IMG_11742.jpg
IMG_11752.jpg

In case you forgot, here's what on 05 looks like with a Givi 46:

IMG_11762.jpg

Here are two pictures, first with the Givi 46 on and the second without the Givi 46:

IMG_11772.jpg

IMG_11782.jpg

Hope this helps provide some perspective.

BTW, it's an Extra Large!

Thanks for the photos. They help a bunch! Now, here's a list of things you have that I'm jealous of:

1. Givi Trunk
  2. Blue Bike
  3. Clean Garage
  4. Extra lights
  5. FZ1 Mirrors
  6. Did I mention a clean garage?

The clean garage is pretty nice! We've made a sustained effort to have a garage that we can actually put 2 cars in. Right now it has $300 worth of Eucalyptus wood that I'm going to make 2 Adirondack chairs out of, but it usually has both cars and the bike. You can see part of my brand spankin' new DeWalt planer I'm going to use to turn money into sawdust!

The FZ1 mirror are one of the best additions to the bike. The FF50 lights, not so much. As a "driving" light I find them to be no better than high beams, but to add additional light to the sides of the road they are great.

Great pictures, thanks.

I don't have a top bag, without it does the cover touch the exhaust easily?

Does the cover stretch? If so maybe one possibility would be to get the large and stretch it for a tighter fit without the top case.

Just to throw another thought, anyone own the KwiKover by laminar @ Kwikover.com ? I have the UV 2000, but it hits above the pipes and I am constantly worried about melting the cover. The Kwikover only protects the seat and controls, but looks more compact and it looks like it stores easier.

I have one and am happy with it. I wanted it for rain protection and although the seat doesn't get wet, I wouldn't consider the fabric water proof, it gets wet on both side. I haven't seen the Nelson Riggs cover in person, but by looking at the pictures on this post, maybe I would want that one if I were to do it again. Pics of the KwiKover are on the following post.

www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s=&showtopic=105771&view=findpost&p=445202

Av8rider -- to be honest, I haven't used it in a while. I have used it without the top box and you have to be careful, but you can keep it away from the exhausts. Nope, it doesn't stretch - at least not that I can tell. Hard to go with what size to get, but remember mine's an XL, a large might be a better fit if you're never going to have a top box. That's just my guess, I haven't seen a large cover. Also need to consider your windscreen size, mine in the pictures is stock and I also use a CB +4+3.

Last edited by a moderator:
I keep a Nelson Rigg half cover at my work. Put it on when I come in, leave it at work.
Works wonderfully, and keeps the beating sun off the bike which sits in the Parking lot all day.

Anything you can do to minimize sun exposure is never a waste of time. The sun will age everything.
There website shows the UV-2000 as their half cover. What size did you get and how much of the bike does it cover? Most importantly for me, I want to be able to store the cover in as small of a space as possible so how big is it when it is folded for storage?

I got the extra large size full cover. it fits into a stuff sack about the size of a small couch pillow. it takes very little room in the saddle bag. The color choice was between maroon/silver and blue/silver. The silver is on the lower portion.

A note of caution...

Let the bike cool down before you cover it. You don't want to scrape the cover off the mufflers.
Expect the cover to last 2 summers - it is expendable - your bike's finish isn't.
Brodie

My 2007 FJR is beautiful and I would like to keep it that way by protecting it from the sun while it sits in my parking lot at the office. I already carry a lot of stuff in my saddle bags and really do not want to carry a large full cover with me and take the time to unroll it then roll it up again later. Is this my only option? Are half shades easy to deploy?
Thanks

Nelson Riggs half cover--silver, UV reflective. I use it every day.