How to remove Grab-On Foam Grips - Deluxe Road

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jefferskn

Reaction score
I just picked up a Yamaha Vista Cruise but will need to move my Grab-On Deluxe Road foam grips over a bit. I didn't install the grips so I'm not quite sure if It's possible to slide them over without ruining them. The chrome end piece spins around but doesn't appear to come off. Here is a pictue of the type of grips I have. Anybody familiar with these grips and how remove them without wrecking them?

418qBcdDw3L._SS500_.jpg

I just picked up a Yamaha Vista Cruise but will need to move my Grab-On Deluxe Road foam grips over a bit. I didn't install the grips so I'm not quite sure if It's possible to slide them over without ruining them. The chrome end piece spins around but doesn't appear to come off. Here is a pictue of the type of grips I have. Anybody familiar with these grips and how remove them without wrecking them?

418qBcdDw3L._SS500_.jpg
I believe the end cap is screwed onto the housing from the inside. Try shining a flashlight down the tube to check.

When I turn the end cap it just seems to keep turning instead of actually spinning right off. I was hoping the end cap would come off and maybe I could use a basketball inflating needle to get the grip to move a little. The air needle works perfect for rubber grips just never tried it on foam grips.

When I turn the end cap it just seems to keep turning instead of actually spinning right off. I was hoping the end cap would come off and maybe I could use a basketball inflating needle to get the grip to move a little. The air needle works perfect for rubber grips just never tried it on foam grips.
Check down the grip, the screw is probably turning with the endcap.

I got the grip off this weekend. The end cap is held onto the grip with a screw from the inside. I was able to roll the foam up from both sides towards the center of the grip and than cut a small slit into the rubber grip and used a ball inflating needle to loosen the grip. I was able to get the grip off without destroying it. Once I had the Vista Cruise installed I was able to put the grip back on with some spray adhesive and grip looks perfect since the foam covers the small slit I cut.

IMAG0235.jpg