How to replace the stock black plastic rear "fender"?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Hilbert

Reaction score
I love my FJR but despise the cheesy black plastic thing that hangs under the taillight and holds the license plate holder. Any suggestions for how I can get rid of this and mount the license plate in some other way? It appears as though a saw of some sort will be necessary to remove it, which of course doesn't seem like the kind of tool that I want to use on this beautiful machine. Help!

Yeah, that may look cool and all, but keep in mind that the tire will sling sufficient amounts of sand up to nicely blast the paint off the tail section and run a nice skunk stripe up your back when running in the rain without the mud flap in place.

Jus' sayin'.

Last edited by a moderator:
All ya have to do is take a sawzall, and trim that sucker off just under the license light -

and then add one of these to it.

270642346_ouv2E-L.jpg

Problem solved.

Yeah, that may look cool and all, but keep in mind that the tire will sling sufficient amounts of sand up to nicely blast the paint off the tail section and run a nice skunk stripe up your back when running in the rain without the mud flap in place.
Jus' sayin'.
Yep. Some folks have trimmed the fender to make it look better, and some, like me, have added to it to keep the mud off the top box and back of our jacket.