How to Teach an "Old Bag" New Tricks

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fred W

1 Wheel Drive
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
No, I'm not talking about any of the lovely ladies here on the forum... They already know every trick in the book!! :eek:

I'm talking about this Tank Bag!

A long while back, after I'd bought myself a Bagster Full Tank Cover from RideAddict.com, I was looking around for a nice tank bag to use on it, and found one being sold by another forum member. It looked like it was going to be the complete shizzy. I thought that the sloped bag's shape would allow carrying a butt-load of junk in it and not get in the way of my body. The problem with that idea is that the taller front part of the bag ends up hitting the bars (and pressing the buttons) at anything approaching full lock (Beeeeeep!!) I eventually electrified another smaller Bagster bag that I already had and that one stays on the tank all the time now.

After unsuccessfully trying to sell the big wedgie I've decided to convert the bag to something that I can use: a new tail bag. :thumbsup:

:construction:

All I've done is to remove the metal clasps at the rear of the bag that normally snap into the Bagster system, and add a longer web strap to the front end to be looped under the seat. That strap and using an additional bungee cord to stabilize the rear is all that I'll need to keep this thing on the bike and it's very stable.

Here's the bag on the passenger seat.

I see this as the most likely configuration / use on the FJR, as I don't like using the V46 trunk when riding one up due to the turbulence induced wobbling at hyper-legal speeds.

100_1550.jpg

The new longer front strap goes down between front and rear seats:

100_1551.jpg

...and just loops under the rear seat's plastic support gizmos.

100_1552.jpg

I can also use it with a passenger riding, for those day rides when I really don't need the big V46. It mounts and sits on top of the Givi rack just fine:

100_1548.jpg

The strap loops under the supports for the back of the pillion seat. They look loose but tighten right up when the seat is slid back into position

100_1549.jpg

But here is what I'm really excited about. :hyper:

I can use the same bag and strap to mount on my VFR800, which I pretty much only ride 1-up.

100_1554.jpg

Similar strap arrangement goes under seat and loops around the frame rails underneath.

100_1555.jpg

Notice that the rear bungee cord never touches the bike except on the plastic grab handles, and in back it passes over the top of the big flap that used to have the metal clasps on it. How cool is that?

100_1558.jpg

The bag even unzips and expands for a bigger load if/when I need it. As you can no doubt see, the bag is made of vinyl, so should be more water resistant than most Cordura or nylon bags, it also has a "built-in" rain cover that self stores into a small zippered compartment under the pointy end of the wedge.

100_1559.jpg

You know... sometimes it's the little things that make you go Shwing!! :coolsmiley:

You know... sometimes it's the little things that make you go Shwing!! :coolsmiley:

Yep, that is a good idea. I have been doing something similar with my Joe Rocket tank bag. The top portion zips off (it makes the tank bag a bit tall if zipped to the lower portion) and I mount it to the pillion seat much like you have shown. Great for easy access to rain gear or non-valuable stuff.

a_Dirty_bike.jpg

Quick question - what is this red button?:

100_1549.jpg

Quick question - what is this red button?:
100_1549.jpg
Tell you what I do like though: A killer. A dyed-in-the-wool killer. Cold-blooded, clean, methodical and thorough. Now a real killer, when he picked up the ZF1 FJR, would have immediately asked about the little red button on the bottom of the gun seat.

fifth.jpg

We all know that any ship or vehicle of any importance and distinction has to have an Auto Destruct button.

Last edited by a moderator: