How Tough is a FJR?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dibs on the cylinder head!
Nope, it's an '06. And besides, his is RUNNING!!!

He definitely didn't get "Howie'd"
I feel redeemed.....

The bike was totalled
THAT certainly qualifies as "Howie'd".

Plus, it was running, so we know the cylinder head is okay. And there's no reason an '06 head shouldn't work on an '04. Least it would never tick.

Fjrrider, let me know where the salvage bike is going by PM if you would, okay?

I feel redeemed.....

The bike was totalled

Plus, it was running, so we know the cylinder head is okay. And there's no reason an '06 head shouldn't work on an '04. Least it would never tick.

YOU SHAMELESS BASTARD!!! :diablo:

Go visit your local Hospital's Emergency Room. There must be some people laying around unconscious that still have their wallets in their pockets!! :p

I can't believe they totalled it.

Straighten those forks and a few stickers to cover the scrapes and your good to go!

:jester: :sarcasm:

I feel redeemed.....

The bike was totalled

Go visit your local Hospital's Emergency Room. There must be some people laying around unconscious that still have their wallets in their pockets!! :p
More money in untended kidneys. Pocket knife and tub'o'ice is all it takes. Easier than changing out the head on a Feejer.

...I'm glad you walked away from that in one piece. ...
+1... How do you come out of something like that without injury? Falling the "right" way certainly helps, if you can control it. What were you thinking when you knew the getoff was imminent?

Glad to hear Scott. Are you back home? If so, how did you get back? If not home, how are you getting back?Did you have any injuries (sep shoulder, bruised/broken ribs, etc)...if not you are one lucky and or tough dude. I found out, that it doesn't take much...even if you impact a nice grassy ditch. :)
I dont know how you walk away from something like that unharmed.........aside from having ALL the right gear on. I knew it was imminent the second, when my eyes moved from the rearviews to the road. I have a clear snapshot in my mind of that second! The only thing I remember thinking at all was "stay on the bike and ride it" I actually thought I might could ride it around the berm.

I had a bruise about as big as a saucer on my lower right back, and was quite sore for a week or so. Past that...nothing, no injuries at all.

Mark our getoffs were so similar, except I may have had a softer landing spot than you did. Mine was just loose loamy dirt.

I took a flight home the next morning. This actually happened in June (ironically about the same date and time as Tyler's crash)

I feel redeemed.....

The bike was totalled

More money in untended kidneys. Pocket knife and tub'o'ice is all it takes. Easier than changing out the head on a Feejer.
I'M SPEECHLESS!!! I REST MY CASE!!! :dribble:

Geez, glad your all recovered and gettin a new ride Scott. Sorry to see the 06 get totaled out but prolly a safer deal for your future riding. Man, once you get one pimped out the exact way you want it, you'll really be leaving the rest of us in the dust!

in untended kidneys. Pocket knife and tub'o'ice is all it takes. Easier than changing out the head on a Feejer.
Lighten up, Frances....I always leave one. That's all they need anyway.

Scott, glad you're okay and best of luck on that new '08.

Oh........need a kidney??? MUCH cheaper than livers. But at least livers leave no witnesses. :lol2:

I knew it was imminent the second, when my eyes moved from the rearviews to the road. I have a clear snapshot in my mind of that second! The only thing I remember thinking at all was "stay on the bike and ride it" I actually thought I might could ride it around the berm.

Scott, the way it sounds, you gave up on staying on the road a little too soon....just maybee... fixated on the berm??? You're one of the best and capable riders I know. You're also cursed by being very compfy about riding off road, (even with a street bike) but the suspension couln't handle the berm and tossed you.

in untended kidneys. Pocket knife and tub'o'ice is all it takes. Easier than changing out the head on a Feejer.

Oh........need a kidney??? MUCH cheaper than livers. But at least livers leave no witnesses. :lol2:
Ok! I Give! Now, That's just Funny as hell right there!! :clapping:

Geez, glad your all recovered and gettin a new ride Scott. Sorry to see the 06 get totaled out but prolly a safer deal for your future riding. Man, once you get one pimped out the exact way you want it, you'll really be leaving the rest of us in the dust!
He'll be so far ahead...the dust will have settled by the time we get to where he's already been... :lol:

About time you move to NJ.

:angry: :angry: Half my market just disappeared. :angry: :angry:

:angry: :angry: Half my market just disappeared. :angry: :angry:

Ya but it is a target rich environment for recruitment.

The bike was totaled (thank goodness) Setting up an 08 right now.
Whats my first farkle move? A Penske shock and a front fork retune by GP Suspension. I will have a brand new Wilburs Shock if anybodys interested.

I look back on this whole thing and I'm very humbled, especially when you consider what Tyler went through (going through). That girl's gotta be tough as a boot!
Big plus one on Tyler. Sucks when bad things happen to such nice people.

I'm going to guess you're a dirt rider. Amazing how much difference an extra 400 lbs. makes the bike handle off road. That new Penske going to have a foot of travel? :) Going to be tough to find 17" knobbies for your new ride.

I've got 40k on my '05, so the shocks a bit worn. Not sure if your Wilburs would fit my 1st Gen. If it you know it will, shoot me a PM with details. Glad you got nothing but a bruise and a good story (at least it will be in ten years) out of it. Maybe I won't drop my full coverage. Just another example of how troopers have their sense of humor removed in training. I bet the deputy wasn't going to add insult to injury.

Good to hear you're ok. Your experience sounds a lot like my recent oops. It seems it doesn't take much damage to total the FJR.

Glad you are around to tell the tale.

VA traffic laws may have changed some since then, but when I had my little chat w/ one of VAs finest, failure to maintain control was a 1st class misdemeanor w/ mandatory court appearance. The lawyer was worth his levy. Walked in expecting to be raped. Lawyer had a chit chat w/ the prosecutor and trooper. Case was called, lawyer moved for dismissal w/ condition that I would complete a motorcycle safety training course. Judge looked up from his stack of paper work for the first time as the prosecutor nodded approval. Judge looked at the trooper who nodded his approval. Judge informed me that I had 6 mos. to complete the course or I would be fined $100 for defective equipment and then directed the lawyer to show me to the clerk's office. $75 for court costs, $100 bucks + a weekend for MSF course (and the attending 10% off my insurance) and no record of the offense on my driving record.

The rape occurred when I got the bill from the attorney. Luvtoride exaggerated my cost by a lot, but the lawyer made DAMN GOOD money for his trouble...but he did do a good job. He got a nice chunk of the insurance money that should have gone towards making my bike new again.

If you choose to go this route, suggest you visit the Highland county seat and enlist the aid of a local attorney b/c they know the players and how play will proceed. Their exorbitant fee will beat the hell out of the raise all your vehicle insurance.

Good luck.

Scott, the way it sounds, you gave up on staying on the road a little too soon....just maybee... fixated on the berm??? You're one of the best and capable riders I know. You're also cursed by being very compfy about riding off road, (even with a street bike) but the suspension couln't handle the berm and tossed you.
It is possible Petey, What I thought and felt like happened and what actually happened, maybe two totally different things......Who knows?

Big plus one on Tyler. Sucks when bad things happen to such nice people.

I'm going to guess you're a dirt rider. Amazing how much difference an extra 400 lbs. makes the bike handle off road. That new Penske going to have a foot of travel? :) Going to be tough to find 17" knobbies for your new ride.

I've got 40k on my '05, so the shocks a bit worn. Not sure if your Wilburs would fit my 1st Gen. If it you know it will, shoot me a PM with details. Glad you got nothing but a bruise and a good story (at least it will be in ten years) out of it. Maybe I won't drop my full coverage. Just another example of how troopers have their sense of humor removed in training. I bet the deputy wasn't going to add insult to injury.
Well I'm not up to the orange pumkin level, maybe someday! :lol:

I will check out the shock and let you know (PM)