How would Yamaha do it?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A good comparison of what a 100 lb. lighter FJR would be like is a naked bike with aftermarket add-ons for sport touring.

I bought my FJR because I couldn't find a good fairing for my ZRX1200R kaw. excluding the lack of a good fairing the ZRX made a fine sport tourer with a venture tour pack and it is a lot more fun to ride.

The chain thing's a good idea. I used to use wheel bearing grease on my chain and could go 500 miles a day with zero chain stretch. it made a mess of the rear rim but that would be easily corrected with a simple shroud.

Mass centralization would provide significant benefits and an "underneath" exhaust would also help.

The newest CB1000RR honda weighs less than a couple of 600cc crotch rockets so there's definitely options. The biggest barrier might be that Yamaha doesn't sell enough of the FJR's to warrant the R&D investment to really cut some weight.

Obviously, I'm also good at annoying you with my mere existence.
Where the hell did I put that "Ignore" button.....
Not at all. With the 'nutster gone, you're one of the few left that I can insult on a regular basis with both barrels. Or so I thought. That Florida sunshine fry your sense of humor? You starting to get all ***serious*** on me?

If that's the case.............

:****:
BLAH-BLAH-BLAH.

Oh, clean out yer Inbox, slacker.

[

IWhat Yamaha Needs to do is ADD a bike to the garage, say a FZ-1 based Sport Tourer? Wouldnt be hard, just need to rework the pillion/rear subframe, and set up a good fairing up front, and the FZ-1 would be good to go for Sportier Touring, say a Sprint/ VFR Killer. That is what the original poster is looking for. Sorry, thats just NOT what the FJR is. JMHO

Yamah Canada has just such a bike and here it is

https://www.yamaha-motor.ca/products/produc...=M|&LANG=en

:D

[IWhat Yamaha Needs to do is ADD a bike to the garage, say a FZ-1 based Sport Tourer? Wouldnt be hard, just need to rework the pillion/rear subframe, and set up a good fairing up front, and the FZ-1 would be good to go for Sportier Touring, say a Sprint/ VFR Killer. That is what the original poster is looking for. Sorry, thats just NOT what the FJR is. JMHO

Dry weight 437 pounds...that's what I'm talkin' about.

Seriously, even though I started this thread, I'm not one of those in "The FJR weighs too much" crowd. I just wanted to discuss the merits and methods of weight savings.

That being said, had this
2008_FZ1TE_Blue_3.jpg
been available when I bought my Feej, I can't honestly say I'd have picked it OVER the Feej. Although had I not found the screaming deal I DID find, I might have given it a second thought. :)

I bought my FJR because it was an FJR. Not because it was faster/slower/lighter/heavier/wider/narrower/etc. than anything else, but because it was an FJR. I bought the bike, not it's potentials or shortcomings. And personally, other than the seat, I wouldn't change a thing.

[IWhat Yamaha Needs to do is ADD a bike to the garage, say a FZ-1 based Sport Tourer? Wouldnt be hard, just need to rework the pillion/rear subframe, and set up a good fairing up front, and the FZ-1 would be good to go for Sportier Touring, say a Sprint/ VFR Killer. That is what the original poster is looking for. Sorry, thats just NOT what the FJR is. JMHO

That is a seriously beautiful package.

I did not read all this thread- don't have the time nor tolerance, but a light FJR is called an FZ1 with Euro Spec bags (FJR bags). Probably about 125lbs lighter.

That is a seriously beautiful package.
Gunny That

+1 Yes, I was not aware that this model was available anywhere. That, my friends, is what a sport touring bike looks like. Well, except for that seat. Not much thought put in there. But nothing a custom seat maker couldn't resolve in short order.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's interesting, and the list of the "accessories" available for separate purchas is very smart too. I wonder why they dont make this model or these items available in the US? This is a definate Sprint-VFR fighter. Nice find, thanks for sharing!
I think it'd be easy enough for a U.S. rider to buy those accessories from a Canadian Yammie dealer and have them shipped -- and then put on their U.S. 'Fizzy One'.

How much HP does an FZ1 make? What would be the HP/weight ratio (if the FZ1 had bags and fairing) compared to the FJR with bags on? How would the top gear roll-on compare to the FJR?

I love the idea of a lighter FJR or atleast it getting back to it's ORIGINAL weight.

However, the FZ1 and FZ6 look like nice bikes to take nekkid into the twisties on a day trip...long distance AND twisties on the SAME trip looks like an FJR job to me.

How much HP does an FZ1 make? What would be the HP/weight ratio (if the FZ1 had bags and fairing) compared to the FJR with bags on? How would the top gear roll-on compare to the FJR?
"Ultra-lightweight 998cc, DOHC, 20-valve, liquid-cooled, 40 degree inclined, in-line four-cylinder engine produces 150 hp at 10,000rpm. The engine has been tuned to provide outstanding performance and incredible passing performance." -- from the Yamaha.ca webpage

"Maximum Torque 10.8kg-m (78.2 ft-lb) @ 8,000 rpm "

Based on the Gen III R1 motor. (04-06)

I love the idea of a lighter FJR or atleast it getting back to it's ORIGINAL weight.

However, the FZ1 and FZ6 look like nice bikes to take nekkid into the twisties on a day trip...long distance AND twisties on the SAME trip looks like an FJR job to me.
Here is a link to a side by side. Someone smarter and younger than me can probably make it appear.... https://www.yamaha-motor.ca/products/compar...mp;model3=&

These really are different rides, for different purposes and abilities. I would say (some would differ) that two guys of equal riding ability, one on an R-1, one on an FZ1 would be an equal match on most roads. Now on the track? I think the R-1 would hold and build an increasing lead, but slowly. My point is the FZ1 is an amazing bike, the first I owned that exceeded by abilities. I never found the limit of that bike, or felt like I did. It is a great bike as is and can be set up and used for SPORT touring, (attached link) but it cannot be compared to or called a light FJR, it is a different animal.

I think Yama should bring some to the US....They would sell

If I wanted a commuter, short touring Sport bike, the FZ1 would be my first choice. I want something that I can ride to my limit all day and be able to walk and feel fresh to enjoy the places I ride to, alone or with my wife.

I would not give up the shaft drive on this bike. It's way smoother than the few other shafties I've ridden, and it's great for ease of maintenance. But...if they ever got rid of the shaft on the FJR, I hope they could work in a single swing-arm into the design. Ya know like Sprint STs, VFRs, Ducs. Very nice clean look on the right side of those bikes.

As for losing the weight, I have to think trimming off a bunch from the Feej would affect the 'T' in ST. I like the sportiness it does have, but I don't think I need it to have a bunch more at the cost of ride comfort etc. Now if they could trim her down a bit and not affect the ride comfort, I might be persuaded.

Great post RadioHowie, it does make you think about the possibilities. Now, that being said, my $.02 worth:

1. I've done chains before, and will never go back. Shaft drive may be heavier, but the ease of use and QUIET operation are deal-breakers for chains IMHO. I'll live with the heft of the shaft drive.

2. Don't you suppose that part of the "heft" of the feej is for long-term durability? The incredible light weight of a Duc 1198R is fantastic, but it's forte is not long-term operation/mileage like the FJR. If you look at other ST machines, the FJR does not seem out of place. The supposed bulk of our machine has not bothered me in the least.

3. I can't help but chuckle at the notion that more power is needed as espoused by some on this thread (wanted is different that needed). As you run this machine up through the gears and hit 100mph in a blink, I can't conceive of the need for more than 125hp at the rear (shaft driven) wheel. I know some will chastise me for not riding fast enough, but I ride fast enough to have a big grin every time I hit the twisty bits.

4. I'm sure there are areas on the bike that could go on a diet w/o sacrificing the long-term durability, but once you start with the use of the unobtanium parts, the MSRP is going straight to BMW territory.

5. The one and only thing I would suggest changing is the stock seat's tendency to slant you towards the tank. And, that can be remedied with a seat swap.

Great thoughts folks.

biknflyfisher

Speaking only for myself, while not having to maintain a chain system on the FJR has been a convenience, it wouldn't be a deal-breaker.
When I bought my '04 in '05, I wasn't thinking "I'm buying a shaft drive bike that happens to be a Yamaha."

My thinking was "I'm buying an FJR and oh, look! It has a shaft drive."
Same here. I bought the bike I have for it's convenience and low/no maintenence feature of the shaft drive. I don't know why anyone would be spending a lot of time paring down weight - trying to drop the weight of the bike by getting rid of the shaft system. I would think what you're left with is a sport bike.

So buy a sport bike! Or am I missing something?

The FZ1 touring looks pretty cool, but not great. The FZ1 is 145 lbs lighter dry, 160 lbs lighter wet, not counting the additional weight of the side bags and full fairing kit, though it would be much narrower, but the seat height is about the same as the FJR's high position, you don't get an adjustable windshield or a vented windshield, the power and torque don't come on until higher RPM, gas tank is 1.5 gallons smaller (but it's probably more fuel efficient, even though Yamaha claims 35 mpg for the FZ1 and 39 for the FJR, which is bizarre), chain requires cleaning/lubing every 400 miles and occasionally chain and gear replacement, the FZ1 doesn't have ABS, and there's probably more I'm forgetting. I know the FJR has a steel gas tank (for magnets); does the FZ1? Probably not.

2008 prices are $9300 vs $13800 not counting what you'd have to spend to buy and import the touring accessories. Of course only the full fairing kit is unique; there are already aftermarket windshields and [non-factory-color] side bags for the FZ.

Last edited by a moderator: