Howz the Weather?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DocDanDC

Reaction score
I'm already bringing the hot weather riding gear. Should I leave the cold temp gear home? What about those rainy mountain passes, do I need it? I like to stay a ATGATT FJR rider but dont want to be stuffed with 2X the equiptment for the whole trip. Whats the scoop from the Colorado FJR Bros.???? :unsure:

I have a Cortech GX-Air mesh with removable liners, Rain and thermal. You should not need anymore than that,IMO

those mountain passes are chilly in the mornings, But it's a welcomed refreshing feeling as natures Air Conditioner kicks in on HIGH! The vallys will be a nice roasting 95-100 degrees/

Denver hit 100 yesterday (first day this year and about 10+ warmer than normal). Nights and early mornings have been cooler, but still 70+ here in Pagosa Springs at 7,000 feet. The trend for here is cooler this week as some T-storms moved through late Sunday.

We've always found mesh, liners, and electrics do it for us in Colorado in summer, but I did have to turn around in 4 inches of slush about 100 vertical feet short of the summit on Mount Evans one year in the 3rd week of August! YMMV as always. ;)

Thanks guys. That will save alot of room on the FJR. Maybe I will get to bring the bigger camera instead of Gear that I won't need.

Hey Doc,

We are entering what they refer to as "monsoon" season here. Usually in the form of heavy afternoon thunderstorms. They can be nasty with lots of heavy rain, lightning and hail but are fairly localized most of the time. When it rains out here, it gets cold. Nothing unusual having a 30 - 40 degree drop in temperature go along with a good thunderboomer. I have a mesh jacket with a seperate waterproof and insulated liner. Same goes for riding pants too. You'll be good if ya have something like that.

It's warm here in Colorado now. It'll be in the 80's daytime and 60's nightime in Denver/Golden this weekend. You should have some cold weather attire if you intend to hit the mountains. For those who've not spent much time here are some tips:

* In the summer time the likelihood of rain is more prevalent in the afternoons than mornings. Currently we are in a dry spell so lately rain has been few and far between.

* Just because it's cloudy doesn't mean it's gonna rain. Just because it's raining doesn't mean it'll hit the ground. Just because it hits the ground doesn't mean it will rain for a long time. Many times rain moves quickly and doesn't linger on one spot.

* This is a dry climate so drink plenty of fluids even if you're not sweating.

* Wear sunscreen. The higher altitude will make you burn faster than at lower altitude.

* There can be a 10-20 degree difference in temps from Denver/Golden up in the mountains, of course the moutain area will have the lower temp.

* Temps fall quickly in the mountains at sunset.

* For those coming from east of Colorado, windy conditions doesn't mean a tornado. :)

* Some mountain areas (ie, Mt. Evans, Continental Divide, Rocky Mtn Nat'l Park) tend to have their own weather. So if there's nice skies in Denver then Mt Evans may have rain and winds.

* Lastly and very important: the blue skies are an indicator that you are in a special place. :rolleyes: Rocky mountain high, Colorado....

(Edit) I've heard various forecasts for this weekend. This morning the forecast is showing 90-95 daytime & 60's nightime this weekend in Denver/Golden.

Last edited by a moderator:
I live in Denver (for 10 years now) and commute to work daily on my FJR with occasional weekend rides in the mountains. It's been pretty hot & dry with about 6" under our yearly average rainfall. But if your riding in the mountains you can expect a little of everything so bottom line is be prepared.

Eagle summed it up very nicely. Great tips!

We're on our way to NAFO via Southern Utah. So far, I've used all the gear I brought, including Camelbak and cool vest, mesh jacket and pants, warm liner and waterproof over pants. Temps from 59 to 100+. Torrential rain, gusting winds and flash flood warnings.

We're having a blast!

Jill

Sounds like the ol' addage of "Be prepared for a rainy day" may be accurate. This will indeed be a great adventure! Great advise from the locals, Thanks!

We've been riding central CO for three days now. It's been as cool as 47 and as hot as 94.

And it has RAINED HEAVILY and even HAILED every afternoon.

BRING WARM GEAR AND A RAIN SUIT!!

I'm just sayin'......

I am in golden right now, it is 9.25 pm and currently 91 outside :drinks: :drinks: :drinks:

Does 1023 miles in the car in 14.5 hours count as a SS1k (seat sore that is0.

R

We've been riding central CO for three days now. It's been as cool as 47 and as hot as 94.
And it has RAINED HEAVILY and even HAILED every afternoon.

BRING WARM GEAR AND A RAIN SUIT!!

I'm just sayin'......
TWN and I rode through the raqin to get here from Crested Butte. It is sprinkling on and of and is forecast to rain this afternoon. Supposed to be in the 60's this weekend.......

BE PREPARED!