HSTA ride in southern Missouri, not all when well...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smitty141

My name is Smitty.. And I have a motorcycle proble
Reaction score
Hi guy, just spent another great weekend riding southern Missouri, NW Arkansas. It was a Honda sport touring event. I quess there where over 100 riders. You could ride there "planned route", or ride your own. Just be back at 7pm for the group dinner and door prizes. I have been down there before, and Ed and Linda Young put on a great event. Great hotdog roast on friday evening, and ribs and fried chicken on saturday night.

I know it says Honda in there name, but you can ride anything. I must have seen 20 FJR, and met a couple forum members. They have events all over the country, and is a great bunch. This is not a membership pitch, but check them out...

HSTA

Myself, KSFJR(Chester), my brother, and BMW Tom road about 360 miles on saturday. We should of road more but a guy on a CBR 600 went down hard on AR. 341 (push mountain road). This is called the AR gap road, and a blast to ride. This guy didn't fair to well, hole in his lung, and other internal injurys.

This might be a wake up call. I like to wick it up with the best of them, but this guy was on the ground for close to 30 minutes before the first responders got there. Then for the "real EMT was at least 20 min. more. Not sure hove the guy is doing, but wish him a fast recovery. We where on the mountain for over an hour, KSFJR was on the backside of the chopper so we just waited for the life flight to take off.

Guys, remember... some of the places we ride are remote and help can be a long time getting there. At first we thought he was with the HSTA group, but he was just staying at the same motel. He is in his late 20's, and lives around Omaha Ne.

And the CBR 600 R.I.P. It is toast..... Smitty

IMG_0552.jpg

IMG_0559.jpg

IMG_0557.jpg

IMG_0558.jpg

Your a good man Smitty!

I hope the cbr rider pulls through.

This is a wake up call for everyone... We are not invincible!

Be careful everyone!

Just a reminder that Motorcycle Accident Scene Management classes and the rider-specific First Responder's Course are available to EMT's and all riders alike. Classes have been held in Arkansas over the past few months, and at least one class is tentatively scheduled for the Branson, MO area in early December. Topics covered include when is it ok to move someone, when is it ok to remove a helmet, how to remove a helmet safely, how to identify and field-treat the most serious injuries, etc. As noted above, it can take 30-60 minutes or more for emergency help to arrive. If it were one of us who went down, would you want to wait that long? Would you wish your riding buddies had taken the class so they could keep you alive until help arrives?

Food for thought...

PM me for more info.

Jeff

Jeff, I'd be interested in the information on the accident management course in Branson. You can PM it to me, or just post it. I think this is a good opportunity for us to discuss accidents and scene management.

I don't know if the information on the link below is current or complete, but it's a start. Consider it a primer for the basics of motorcycle scene management... even if the information is notes from a lecture 15 years ago...:

Jason Molenda Accident Scene Management Notes

What's the riding like down around Branson in early December? Might be a good excuse for a ride... but NOT a MASM test!

Just a reminder that Motorcycle Accident Scene Management classes and the rider-specific First Responder's Course are available to EMT's and all riders alike. Classes have been held in Arkansas over the past few months, and at least one class is tentatively scheduled for the Branson, MO area in early December. Topics covered include when is it ok to move someone, when is it ok to remove a helmet, how to remove a helmet safely, how to identify and field-treat the most serious injuries, etc. As noted above, it can take 30-60 minutes or more for emergency help to arrive. If it were one of us who went down, would you want to wait that long? Would you wish your riding buddies had taken the class so they could keep you alive until help arrives?
Food for thought...

PM me for more info.

Jeff

What's the riding like down around Branson in early December? Might be a good excuse for a ride... but NOT a MASM test!
It can be sub zero in early December but most probably in the 30's with an occasional nice day.

As Smitty said, I was stuck on the back side of the helicopter and tried to call Smitty to tell them to go ahead and I would catch them somewhere else but I couldn't reach him 100 yards away.

I was talking to the guy blocking traffic who was a local volunteer fireman and he said they had 2 wrecks in August on this road, one of which was a deer running down a hill side and ran right into the rider knocking him off the bike causing injuries.

I was talking to the guy blocking traffic who was a local volunteer fireman and he said they had 2 wrecks in August on this road, one of which was a deer running down a hill side and ran right into the rider knocking him off the bike causing injuries.
I was on 341 several times over the Labor Day weekend and saw deer on two occasions. The first was a single small one, but the second time was a group of at least 7. That's as far as I could count before they started to scatter. They had been standing on the road, apparently deciding what to do next. I can certainly believe they'd knock a guy down.

Jeff, I'd be interested in the information on the accident management course in Branson. You can PM it to me, or just post it. I think this is a good opportunity for us to discuss accidents and scene management.
I don't know if the information on the link below is current or complete, but it's a start. Consider it a primer for the basics of motorcycle scene management... even if the information is notes from a lecture 15 years ago...:

Jason Molenda Accident Scene Management Notes
Ok, I just got confirmation that the next class is Sept. 23rd at the Stone County Fairgrounds, BIG Blgd., in Mtn. View. $45 for the general public & any riders. $30 for the 1st responders, firefighters, LEO & EMS personnel & AR Gap Riders. Contact Kathy at [email protected] for more info or to sign up.