HT Overpant fit

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwoWhldTerror

Reaction score
So I am looking at purchasing a pair of FirstGear HT Overpants II and wanted to ask a question.

They say to buy them in the size you normally wear as they are sized up to fit over your clothes. I did try on a pair of the older style in the store and the 34, with the liner in them, were a bit tight. Yet I have heard that the new style is cut better and to NOT order up a size (i.e. a 36 to wear over my 34).

Anyone have the new pants and can comment on the fit?

Thanks,

Tom

Well, not exactly the same maker. However, I just got some Olympia overpants. I bought them the same size as my pants, 36. As you said, with the liner, they are a bit snug. I don't ever really see myself using them though since I live in So. CA. Anyway, point is, I think you should be fine with the same size as your pants.

Rick

So I am looking at purchasing a pair of FirstGear HT Overpants II and wanted to ask a question.

They say to buy them in the size you normally wear as they are sized up to fit over your clothes. I did try on a pair of the older style in the store and the 34, with the liner in them, were a bit tight. Yet I have heard that the new style is cut better and to NOT order up a size (i.e. a 36 to wear over my 34).

Anyone have the new pants and can comment on the fit?

Thanks,

Tom
email Aaron at "newenough.com" - "motorcyclegear.com" which are the same supplier in Texas

be specific...he'll fix you up

aaron at motorcyclegear dot com

<thank him for me for paying for their building addition last year with my purchasing habits>

I have both pair of Firstgear Overpants - the HT and HT Air. I have a 35-36 waist and the 36" FG Overpants pants are perfect - if I went up a size they would definitely be too big. The sides are somewhat adjustable - you should be fine ordering your normal waist size. Motorcyclegear.com has AWESOME customer service as stated earlier and I've always purchased my FirstGear items there.

I wear a pair of Tourmaster Overpants and they are the same size as my regular pants, 34 waist. Almost two years of use in the sunny PNW and no problems. Warm in the winter, not overly hot during the summer riding in Eastern Washington.

Dennis

I don't wear the liner and they are a little loose on me, I ordered my regular size when I bought them.

Thanks everyone! I will order the size 34...though I cannot believe that they went with a 29 1/2" inseam instead of a 30" one *sigh*.

As for MotorcycleGear.com...absolutely! I love them and have used them even back when they were NewEnough.

Thanks again!

I have a pair of HT also and I bought the same size I wear and they are perfect over jeans even with the liner in. I only wish they had approved armor in them for the knees and hip.

Thanks everyone! I will order the size 34...though I cannot believe that they went with a 29 1/2" inseam instead of a 30" one *sigh*.

As for MotorcycleGear.com...absolutely! I love them and have used them even back when they were NewEnough.

Thanks again!

They come in "Tall" sizes too . . .

Thanks again!

Understood VH...but I have a 30" inseam and the regular size is almost 32". Would rather by 1/2" short than almost 2" long!

I personally would recommend something with real armour and material that won't shred as easily..... I had a minor very slow speed getoff with a pair of these and the material is thin and weak. The knee pads are simple foam...

I personally would recommend something with real armour and material that won't shred as easily..... I had a minor very slow speed getoff with a pair of these and the material is thin and weak. The knee pads are simple foam...

I understand, but we each have to make our own risk assessments and decisions. I wear a Kilimanjaro jacket (Joe Rocket mesh in the GA summer heat), full face helmet, boots and gloves on every ride, so something with a bit more protection than my jeans is OK by me. Again I understand they are not race leathers nor have hard armor, but again, for my risk assessment I am fine with the incremental increase in leg protection.

I do appreciate the feedback however.

If I remember correctly you could change the armour in the pants. And they work good for me, but no get offs yet.

Tom

Thanks again!

Understood VH...but I have a 30" inseam and the regular size is almost 32". Would rather by 1/2" short than almost 2" long!
For walking around you would be correct. YMMV, but I have found that I want any overpants to be a couple of inches longer than the pants. That way the pants don't stick out the bottom of the overpants when seated on the bike in riding position. Yes, they drag a little or bunch up at the top of my boots when standing/walking, but I prefer function over form in this case.

Bob

Thanks again!

For walking around you would be correct. YMMV, but I have found that I want any overpants to be a couple of inches longer than the pants. That way the pants don't stick out the bottom of the overpants when seated on the bike in riding position. Yes, they drag a little or bunch up at the top of my boots when standing/walking, but I prefer function over form in this case.

Bob
My initial thought also FWIW