Hydration Question on the FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cdogman

Bad Boy
Reaction score
OK I am about ready to go on my 10 day advnture

Camera ............ Check

Money ............ Check

Stuff ............ Check

............ Check

............ Check

............ Check

............ Check

I am fully loaded, Tank bag and all.... i need to be able to hydrate and so does the SO. I am outta room

Any fancy (and fast) tricks to getting water aboard..............??

Lots of options, most depending on a straw or tube. My Kilimanjaro jacket can hold a bladder and tube. You can buy can or bottle holders to go on the bars like the Goldwing guys (use a straw). Even sippy boxes can be used, especially since you have a copilot to stick the straw in and then stash the trash!

Bob

Get a Camelback Unbottle:

camelbak_unbottle.jpg

You can find someplace to strap it on. If you look carefully, you can see one on each of these bikes:

Rte12-2.jpg

-Uwe-

Cdogman,

We fill a 1 or 2 liter soda bottle 3/4 full with water and toss it in the freezer the night before the ride. Top it off with water before you head out and you have cold water all day.

We also have insulated bags for ours so they don't melt so fast in hot weather.

Sorry, but ya gotta repack and make a little extra room for the bottles. Of course the 1 ltr bottle is fairly easy to pack, the 2 ltr, well...good luck! The smaller bottle will fit in a full size tank bag IIRC. Haven't yet figured out how to drink on the fly with a full face lid.

If you come up with a better idea, please share it with us...WFO is a looooong ride from here!!

Have a great trip,

Chas

One of the guys uses a medium size gott water bottle and straps it to the passenger peg and use a tube with a bite type thing...I cant remember who though..where theres a will...good luck

Bobby

Bah, hydration ain't all it's cracked up to be... The more ya drink the more ya gotta go pee. Who wants to waste riding time on stopping to go pee?

If you happen to be a Costco member, they have a real nice Camelback-type hydration pack that also has a couple zippered pockets for stuff you want to have accessible when you stop. I think it's by High Sierra and it runs about $25-$30. I like it much better than my Camelback.

Check out Skways hydrations system see if it will work. Camel backs are good each can wear one whether in the front or on your back Just use your imagination you will come up with something that will work. Check out the Pashnet web page they may have several ideas.

Remember hydration starts the night before you get on your bike and continues through the day and then start the proccess all over again. Drink and be happy (no alcohol) And ebjoy your trip.

weekend rider :) :D

I wear a camelback pack, works very well. 2 liters capacity and a wide mouth so you can pack it with ice and water.

The "camelback-type" is the best. For the SO, you can strap it onto the topcase or she can wear it on her back. For you, a small one in the tank bag. On day rides I have a "youth size" that works pretty well. Uhm, I did buy a 90 degree fitting/bite valve so that it fits under my full-face earier.

The Gold Standard is Skyway's Hydration System. It's certainly more spendy than the Unbottle...which I used myself for a season, but a way better design for our bike, keeps things cooler longer, and I think comparable in capacity as it's hard to get that last 20 or 30 oz. on the Unbottle. I liked it so much....I got two and think a bunch of FJRs in this year's Iron Butt Rally are going to be sporting Ian's finest!

:blink: +1 on the CAMELBACK, have been using them for years snow skiing, hiking, bicycle riding, hunting and on motorcycle trips.

They all come with a large opening now that you can put large cubes of ice easily into the bladder along with your favorite rehydrating drink.

They are fairly easy to clean and maintain. They come in a variety of sizes, wear locations, (i.e. fanny packs or knapsacks) along with sizes of knapsacks with a variety of different size interiors to hold clothing, cameras, stuff, are foam insulated to keep the beverage cold longer.

Just walk into any REI store and you will find a boatload of different models and colors.

For all of you who have suggested the "Skyway Hydration Kit", I have a couple of questions: :unsure:

Since the kit uses a passenger peg to mount, where is his SO supposed to put her foot? :dribble:

And is he supposed to put a T-fitting in the tube so they both can drink? :huh:

I have a Rapid Transit Recon 19 tank bag. It is set up for their hydration bladder that fits at the bottom of the bag and the hose gets routed out the back and clips to the bag for easy access. I fill the bladder 1/2 way and freeze it over night. then fill the rest of the way before I head out. I have ice cold water for up to 5 hours. The only drawback is that the hose is not quite long enough for a pillion to get at it without being fully stopped so she can lean over your shoulder.

Tim

Since the kit uses a passenger peg to mount, where is his SO supposed to put her foot? :dribble: And is he supposed to put a T-fitting in the tube so they both can drink? :huh:
Ahhh.....reading comprehension and acronym deciphering is key. SO still mean an alternate spelling of sew to my bachelor-state. The Skyway kit is so good....I'd ponder losing the SO. ;)

Mostly I just throw a bottle or two of water or gatorade in my tank bag and/or smuggler.

I also have a Camelback Mule. Large backpack with the hose for drinking under the helmet. Plenty of extra storage. I took it with me to WFO last year. Never came out of the left hardcase. It will be making the trip to WFO this year as well. If this summer is as hot as they are saying, I might actually put it to use.

I also bought one of those bandana and a cooling vest... both of which were never necessary on the trip to WFO last year. Man, did we luck out on low desert temps and some rain. The cooling gear will also be making the Park City trip this year.

Another thing I can do is soak my Scorpion helmet liner and let it dehydrate and cool. I'm not real keen on getting it sloppy wet due to the HARD system and the Autocom I have stuffed under the liner. But if it gets hot enough, wetting the helmet cushions is definitely an option. I've heard stories of guys filling their helmets like a bucket and pulling them on. That has to feel pretty good out in the desert sun at speed.

Latest posts