Hydration System for Rider and Pillion

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought the speed and strength "hell and back" jacket, it has smaller hydration pack, plus sleeves zip off for mesh air flow and water proof!!! I'm happy with it. That was my solution.

I wanted to wait until I had some miles on this setup to post this up. This past week the wife and I ran 5k miles using it and I feel it works well for us. I used Garaulds excellent 1gal clamp setup as a starting point and welded up a bracket to hold it in place.

34b1d9e0.jpg

8389acdd.jpg

62776f67.jpg

I fabbed this shortly before leaving for the trip, so it was essentially a prototype. As such, it didn't turn out exactly as I had hoped. I didn't quite nail the angle I wanted for the main support arm(running parallel to the bag), the result is that when loaded, the support over the saddlebag lightly rests on the bag itself. Since our previous system was just a bag holding the jug completely resting on the saddlebag, I look at this as an improvement over the old way. I added a strip of rubber padding to the bottom of the mount where it contacts the saddlebag and all seems well thus far. At least well enough I have no plan to redo it or change it for the time being. I even caught the wife using it as an armrest occasionally.

Garaulds plate and clamp have performed flawlessly and were envied by several LD riders at the rally.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's creative! ;)

I assume you leave the bag on during the trip...
I think my bags have only been off 3 or 4 times since I've owned the bike. We normally pack clothes and stuff into the saddlebag liner bags for ease of transport on/off the bike.

Camelbak... They come in different sizes, colors and fucntions. I've been using them (2qt holder) and it works for me. For long rides I switch to the 4qt holder, ice and whatever I want to drink (water, poweraide, etc). Stopping for gas, simple refill (ice, water or both - its free). Just a thought ;)

Has anyone just considered wearing a "Camelbak"? They are not thick enough to be a problem and it gives your pillion an extra hand hold.

Oops, after re-reading I see the Camelbak has come up.
:clapping: :clapping:

Camelbak does not work for a passenger if they wish lean back against a topcase.

My wofe ended up using a ice water bottle with a straw, packed away in the tank bag. Straw was so she wouldn't have to take the helmet off to get the water.

Obviously she couldn't get the water while riding with that set up though. She didn't like the feel of a camelbak behind her. She liked the support that the givi top case providied and didn't want to give that up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Camelbak does not work for a passenger if they wish lean back against a topcase.

My wofe ended up using a ice water bottle with a straw, packed away in the tank bag. Straw was so she wouldn't have to take the helmet off to get the water.

Obviously she couldn't get the water while riding with that set up though. She didn't like the feel of a camelbak behind her. She liked the support that the givi top case providied and didn't want to give that up.
You can reverse it (in front) for the passenger or have it on the side like mine does - but hey, just a thought. Always stay positive ;)

Get a Rapid Transit Recon 19 Magnetic Tank Bag for the the rider, and simply strap a Cambelback to the side-saddle/rear trunk/rack for the pillion. Simple, easy, AND you have the ability to take either with you as a backpack and still have water.