Hydration system tips and tricks

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luvtoride

My Indian name is "Pants On Fire"
Reaction score
Looking for help from anyone who has completely assembled their hydration kit from Skyway. Before I pitch the neoprene that is supposed to fit over the drinking tube, I figured I'd see if anyone here has any suggestions for getting the cover on the tube. I've tried forcing it (that usually doesn't work well in most cases), heating the neoprene (at a very low temp) in the over for a few minutes (the ol' heat expands/cold contract rule) & turning a small amount of the neoprene inside itself thinking that I might be able to roll it onto the tube as I pushed the tube in. Kinda' the same technique as rolling a rubber over a guy's tool. (insert joke here) None of these techniques worked. The neoprene is just too tight. (another joke inserted here?) I haven't tried putting any kind of cooking oil or KY on the tube to lubricate it. (insert another joke here... I know they're cumming)

Does anyone have some sort of un-smart assed answer to my dilemma b4 I file 13 the neoprene?

Heidi

PS... Sorry for all those sexual connotations (yeah right)

Thanks Jeff... & so far that has worked best out of anything I've tried. I actually got about a foot of tubing into the neoprene. Not so sure it'll get any better the longer it soaks, either. THere is about 5 feet to feed thru. Will give it a try, though. Thank you.

Does anyone have some sort of un-smart assed answer to my dilemma ?
You were kidding, right?

Well......here goes.............

Gee Heidi, your not getting one single, solitary, ounce of sympathy from me. Oh waaaaa! Can't get the silly little neoprene on the tube. Pu-LEASE!

You see, my sheating challenged girl.........

[SIZE=18pt]MOST OF US DON'T EVEN HAVE OUR HYDRATION KITS YET!!!![/SIZE]

So no love here..........When that Welsh Wanker quits screwing around with stuff like family, and his day job, and actually ships me my freakin hydration kit, maybe I'll know WTF you are talking about. :D

Until then, as one of the first chosen few to receive your stupid little hydration kit, it is up to you to figure out how the freakin thing works so you can teach it to the rest of us. Comes with the territory, babe.

Ok, so time for me to go take my meds now.........

Have a nice day!

:bye:

Easy Dude!!! From what I understand kits went out in the order they were paid for... at least that was the original plan. If you ordered something special they had to be specialized b4 they get sent out, too. I ordered a plain Jane assembly w/ no powdercoat, etc. Just asking about the tube... 'cause, ain't havin' good luck so far. You will see :D

I will definitely post up if I find something that works... & that includes file 13... I'll let you know if it goes to file 13.

Oh, BTW... you might want to keep your voice down about your order.

and BTW.... these kits ROCK!

Oh, BTW... you might want to keep your voice down about your order.
No problemo, mi amiga! SkooterG's is on the "Ship Last List". :)
Oops, so really Scoot got his feewings hurt? I'm sowwy Scooty!

And, as promised... about the neoprene sheath... FJRJeff has it pretty much on the nose. I can't imagine it getting much easier than what I just did.

I filled the bathroom sink w/ warm & very soapy water, put the neoprene in to soak in it a few minutes & get the mix inside the sheathing. I got the end of the hose in it about a foot, let it soak a little longer, which seemed to make the NP a bit more pliable once wet w/ warm water & soap. Once started I had to work the drink tube in inch by inch & pull the NP that went on, up the hose until the whole thing was covered. It took me a lot of just looking at it & about 1/2 hour of actually stuffing the tubing in & it's covered.

Scooter, hope your kit gets there really soon. Best wishes for a speedy shipping... & good luck to all that are getting one of these. These things are the shitz man!

Heidi

Last edited by a moderator:
I placed a neoprene sleeve on the tubing that came with my Unibottle from Camelbak, back when I first got it. Don't recall it being a huge struggle. (actually, now that I think about it some more... I think I bought it with the sleeve already on) You might check the Camelbak website to see if there's some information there... just a thought. Is it possible that the tubing is the wrong size for the sleeve? Don't know since I haven't received mine yet.

And, as promised... about the neoprene sheath... FJRJeff has it pretty much on the nose. I can't imagine it getting much easier than what I just did.
I filled the bathroom sink w/ warm & very soapy water, put the neoprene in to soak in it a few minutes & get the mix inside the sheathing. I got the end of the hose in it about a foot, let it soak a little longer, which seemed to make the NP a bit more pliable once wet w/ warm water & soap. Once started I had to work the drink tube in inch by inch & pull the NP that went on, up the hose until the whole thing was covered. It took me a lot of just looking at it & about 1/2 hour of actually stuffing the tubing in & it's covered.
Glad you got it all figured out. Maybe you learned some new skills you can use in other activities........... :lol:

Only one problem though............where's the piccies?

:p

I don't think I am ever going to get that stupid, retarded, silly-assed hydration kit. :(

I don't think I am ever going to get that stupid, retarded, silly-assed hydration kit. :(
Easy there, I'm getting lots of email from non GB players interested in a Hyd. kit. :p

And you need a bike thats actually together and functional to use it. ;) :D

[SIZE=8pt]PSST, I'm shipping it out tomorrow, ok.[/SIZE]

Easy Dude!!! From what I understand kits went out in the order they were paid for... at least that was the original plan.
Well, there's Skoot's problem. Have you even paid for the last farkle you got from Skyway? I seem to recall you had a little trouble payin the man on time on a few occasions.....

Easy there, I'm getting lots of email from non GB players interested in a Hyd. kit. :p
'Ya know. I already have two, but I could really use two more as backup. Can I buy those two Skoot clearly doesn't want? I can PayPal immediately!

Meanwhile, I'm patiently waiting for my order and looking forward to the surprise I'll have on my front doorstep one of these days in February.

'Ya know. I already have two, but I could really use two more as backup. Can I buy those two Skoot clearly doesn't want? I can PayPal immediately!

Meanwhile, I'm patiently waiting for my order and looking forward to the surprise I'll have on my front doorstep one of these days in February.
The powder coated bases should be back from Finishing First tomorrow, then lots of kits with black bases will be shipping out.

The powder coated bases should be back from Finishing First tomorrow, then lots of kits with black bases will be shipping out.
My pillion puts her foot on the footrest. Somehow, I think convincing her to put her foot on top of a thermous isn't going to work. She's....well...a liberated pillion. But I love her. What should I do? Quit posting while drunk? (Amador, Granite Springs Vineyard 2004 Zin)

My pillion puts her foot on the footrest. Somehow, I think convincing her to put her foot on top of a thermous isn't going to work. She's....well...a liberated pillion. But I love her. What should I do? Quit posting while drunk? (Amador, Granite Springs Vineyard 2004 Zin)
I won't take anyone in the pillion position, unless she is willing to hold my drink, light my cigs, rub my shoulders, feed me, etc........... all without stopping. Which is of course why I have a smuggler instead of a rear seat, and just ordered the Skyway hydration system. I just can't seem to find that perfect someone to ride along. By the way, do we know if Skyway is working on a lit cigarette lighter dispenser, food dispenser, shoulder masseuse combination? If so maybe I can stop trying to find the "perfect" woman. :crazy:

Heidi

Okay, I have tried off and on for months to get this neopreme over the clear plastic tube. Tonight I even got the wife to try. We are not getting it more than a few inches. Any one know a sure fire trick to get this done? :angry2:

It was a PITA, but what I did was take a small tube, like from a Nalgene bottle, hook that up to the sink (another story) then pressurize the area between the tube od and neoprene.. that worked pretty darn good. Oh, add a little dish soap to the mix too. :rolleyes:

My trick was to use the soapy water AND to have the flexible tube firmly in place with the hard plastic and junction.

Then I'd inch it onto the hard tube, pull the slack, and inch on more. My workspace was the 12" or so of the hard plastic.

Images of condom rolling did play in my head and I had to not shave and watch NASCAR while doing it to keep from reminding myself how Freudian it was.

Shit. I'm a little late to the post. A shame too. I had such good and humiliating comebacks for Heidi's post. Just not as funny this far down in the post.

PM me next time, Heidi.