I am back - and I have a story

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had wondered where you went since I hadn't seen any posts from you in a while. Sorry to hear about the accident but very glad you were able to walk away. I just yesterday I jumped on my FJR in shorts and T-shirt leaving my armored coat and pants behind to go half mile down the road. Now you have me re-thinking if I ever should have done that, maybe I'll walk that half mile next time.

Could the FJR gotten you out of that situation by cranking on the gas or the ABS, maybe. At the end of the day it's a coin toss in my opinion.

Lick your wounds, learn from what happened and get back on the horse and ride. And don't upset the FJR gods again buying something else. ;)

Just my $.02 from experiencing a bike's propensity for locking the rear wheel: in the past I had 2 different Kawasakis and 1 Honda, all non-ABS, that would lock the rear wheel in a heartbeat. I suggest you take a look at the position of the foot pedal. It's easy to remove and rotate the pedal down a little to help prevent lockup. It's a trial and error thing and it takes much testing and practice but eventually you can find just the right position to provide maximum braking under most circumstances and not lock the wheel until you pretty much stand up off the seat to apply more brake. Try it, it works!

can I ask if the other vehicle stopped, the police were involved, were their any citations isssued and how are both the insurance companies handling this.

It wasn't your fault on any level and the other driver should be cited and their insurance cover your damages.

I hope so.

If not, that would be an example of a nightmare for me.

heal up and get back on the horse in a reasonable time,

Mike in Nawlins'
It's the other person's fault that he ASSUMED they were going to do something they didn't do?? You have been driving long enough to know that's not true. It is his fault for not knowing how to handle his bike, for not practicing on his bike, for making an assumption on a highway, and not wearing the right gear.

"It wasn't your fault on any level" is completely incorrect. He holds a lot of culpability for his crash, and unless the other vehicle actually made contact with his MC, he's gonna have a hellavua time proving the other driver's fault and getting their insurance company to pay up.
^^^ whut he said. No bike in the world can make up for anticipating and preparing for the unexpected. And then for not being able to control your machine when it does happen. I ALWAYS expect those people who pull over to the side of the road to try to make a sudden u-turn in front of me.

Sorry you went down and glad it wasn't any worse but we should always practive "what if" scenarios when we ride - and what will we do if it happens....

Last edited by a moderator:
Sometimes other drivers amaze you. Some obviously shouldn't be anywhere near the road.

We had a bad wreck this weekend. A woman pulled out of a gravel parking lot, making a left hand turn across US52 (near Manchester, Ohio). She told the trooper that she saw us but "they didn't stop". She is 82, is being cited and state patrol will recommend that she have her license revoked.

Fortunately, my wife and I were in good gear. The trike is totaled, I hit her broadside. I went over the top of the car and landed hard on the roadway and tumbled. My helmet has some deep gashes, but I was able to pick myself up and go to my wife who was maybe 40' beyond me. She was in worse shape, was airlifted to a Level 1 trauma center. She is doing pretty good. She was moved from ICU to a regular bed today :) I was checked out at the local hospital and released.

The state trooper, who is a biker himself, said that I did as good as possible. The Goldwing Trike laid down 99' of skid marks (I had cruise control set at 55 mph.)

Thank God the two of us didn't hit anything but flat road surface. My wife has fractured ribs, collar bone and scapula and some cuts and many bruises.

We both had on full face helmets and mesh jackets. She had on new leather chaps but they didn't show much abrasion.

Ken

As much as I love my FJR, considering the fact that you spend some time on gravel roads, there are lighter, more maneuverable bikes out there. The old Suzuki SV650 comes to mind. The FJR has a great deal of power and can get cha into a lot of trouble in a hurry. Of course, there's much to be said about the FJR's handling and it's anti lock brakes, but also remember that it is indeed a 650 pound machine.

Another thought, every driver is out to get you, and will think of the whole thing as if it were your fault. Imagine that.

If you decide to ride again: do yourself a favor. Invest some money in a good safe rider course. There are many to pick from. The forum might even be able to advise you with this.

We'd all like to see you be able to continue enjoying the open road, but at the end of the day, it's your decision. We'll support you with whatever you do and trust you'll do what's right for you and your family. I say that because whenever it comes to decisions like this, your family will want you to hear them out as well, am I right? Concerning this decision of whether to ride at all... again, there are two schools of thought. One: get right back in the saddle before you talk yourself out of something you really enjoy. You had a lapse in judgement that has made you much wiser today than you were yesterday. And second: walk away while you can still walk. As much as we can all say about that, you know yourself, and you alone must make that call. One possibility: think it over until next spring???

Gary

darksider #44

Sometimes other drivers amaze you. Some obviously shouldn't be anywhere near the road.

We had a bad wreck this weekend. A woman pulled out of a gravel parking lot, making a left hand turn across US52 (near Manchester, Ohio). She told the trooper that she saw us but "they didn't stop". She is 82, is being cited and state patrol will recommend that she have her license revoked.

Fortunately, my wife and I were in good gear. The trike is totaled, I hit her broadside. I went over the top of the car and landed hard on the roadway and tumbled. My helmet has some deep gashes, but I was able to pick myself up and go to my wife who was maybe 40' beyond me. She was in worse shape, was airlifted to a Level 1 trauma center. She is doing pretty good. She was moved from ICU to a regular bed today :) I was checked out at the local hospital and released.

The state trooper, who is a biker himself, said that I did as good as possible. The Goldwing Trike laid down 99' of skid marks (I had cruise control set at 55 mph.)

Thank God the two of us didn't hit anything but flat road surface. My wife has fractured ribs, collar bone and scapula and some cuts and many bruises.

We both had on full face helmets and mesh jackets. She had on new leather chaps but they didn't show much abrasion.

Ken
Ken, thank God for that 99 feet. At least you had time to scrub off some speed. I'll say a prayer or two for your wife. You're gonna be awful busy taking care of her for a while, but enjoy this special time together. The two of you have a lot to be thanful for.

Gary

darksider #44

I suggest you take a look at the position of the foot pedal. It's easy to remove and rotate the pedal down a little to help prevent lockup. It's a trial and error thing and it takes much testing and practice but eventually you can find just the right position to provide maximum braking under most circumstances and not lock the wheel until you pretty much stand up off the seat to apply more brake. Try it, it works!
With all due respect to a practical idea, I think that the antilock brakes would be the better choice. Personally I will not ride without them. I don't have the skills to use the brakes effectively when I get in over my head. Since I know I have some limitations, as does the OP, I'll cast my vote for the ABS here. I'll agree that in some cases, a less-sensative rear brake can help, but it's hard to argue with ABS from a newb's point of view. And compared to the skills of many on this forum I am, and always will be, a newb... hence my avatar.

Gary

darksider #44

IMHO...Cruisers are built for "cruising", meaning they're comfy, which they are. They aren't specifically designed for handling. I don't dislike cruisers, they just aren't what I want in a motorcycle. I have a couch to ride at home in front of the tv. The FJR is designed to be relatively nimble which it is. Which handles better? Get the same rider on one of each on the same road and I think you'll find that the FJR does. Go to a motorcycle police rodeo and you'll quickly figure out why the guys on sport tours and the guys on Harleys (respect the Harley) are in different classes altogether. I'm not baggin' on baggers, they just aren't for me.

Not to beat a dead horse (again), but the crash was your fault. It began prior to you actually passing the guy. Don't assume you're going to be able to stop faster than that car in front of you with 4 wheels. On top of that, whether it is the car/truck/semi's fault or your own, you're gonna lose (whether the pitcher hits the rock or the rock hits the pitcher, it's going to go bad for the pitcher). You're ok, lesson learned, time to move on.

Both brakes vs. front only...my bike (BMW R1200 GSA) uses about 70-80% front brake when stopping in a hurry...only 20-30% rear. Again, IMHO, if there are 100 feet of stop for the front only, that would be 70 or 80 feet of stop with both. I'll use both, I could use that 20 or 30 feet...I have ABS and dig it. I've practiced with it in parking lots (a lot, that way I don't get squished when someone rear ends me or while I'm picking up my bike [i have crash bars and drop it from time to time]) and on empty highways to find out what to expect WHEN I really need it...again. I've not taken an MSF course, but have ridden with some absolutely incredible riders, some of whom teach advanced motorcycle handling and don't mind coaching me along and constantly giving pointers. I firmly believe that I'm a fairly competent rider and that others on here who know me would agree. That being said, I'd take an MSF course in a heart beat. EVERY time you get on your bike you should be learning something about it, you, or the environment you two are in. If you aren't, you're not paying attention.

Good luck finding another bike. Remember, if it just feels right sitting on it, then buy it and go sit on it in your driveway...find one that feels right riding it.

Ken, what a disturbing post - "They didn't stop." Thanks for the very important reminder that they are all out there trying to kill you on the road. I echo Gary's prayers for your wife. Everybody be safe out there.

I suggest you take a look at the position of the foot pedal. It's easy to remove and rotate the pedal down a little to help prevent lockup. It's a trial and error thing and it takes much testing and practice but eventually you can find just the right position to provide maximum braking under most circumstances and not lock the wheel until you pretty much stand up off the seat to apply more brake. Try it, it works!
With all due respect to a practical idea, I think that the antilock brakes would be the better choice. Personally I will not ride without them. I don't have the skills to use the brakes effectively when I get in over my head. Since I know I have some limitations, as does the OP, I'll cast my vote for the ABS here. I'll agree that in some cases, a less-sensative rear brake can help, but it's hard to argue with ABS from a newb's point of view. And compared to the skills of many on this forum I am, and always will be, a newb... hence my avatar.

Gary

darksider #44
Oh, no doubt that ABS is superior. But given the fact that many bikes, including the OP's, do not have it I just offered my personal experience of a tweak that can be made to help offset a non-ABS bike's rear brakes. My FJR is the first bike I've owned with it and given a choice I won't own another non-ABS one. But for me it's not necessarily a deal breaker in the future b/c the option is still very limited overall.

First off Its a blessing for sure y'all have survived and will likely live to ride another day. But, PotentFrowner, your ass belongs on a street bike 'bout as much as i belong in civilized society...not friggin' hardly !!! You NEED to get on a dirt bike..a serious damn dirtbike..old and low if you can find one ( XL 250/350 ) dig ? I PURPOSELY dont have ABS and i put that big fkr sideways a little bit quite frequently...did it twice yesterday...cagers shit their pants but my 45 years and more than 500,000 miles riding allows me a little...flexibility. I own great gear and wear it cuz some people are actually stupider than me...i keep the bike in top shape cuz i'm so damn broke down somethings gotta work right ? Seriously, if your gut tells you this insanity just aint for moi, nobody here, thats been here more than 2 months, is gonna see anything more than a responsible person making a mature decision...which is why dirt or street...do not follow me anywhere, k? Get a dirtbike and some seat time and crash time on soft stuff ya know? I ride with my adult children without much fear because we crashed on dirtbikes alot together when they were younger. Always anticipate the worst from cagers..they WILL prove you right. That is all.

Blessings,

Bobby

Glad you're relatively ok, but I know even that kind of thing hurts (as does the total of your bike). Sometimes little more that that kind of an accident can kill or cripple you on a motorcycle. We're that exposed and mistakes can be really costly. That's why we have to be better than car drivers. Cannot add anything to the blunt appraisals and advice of 'Zilla and Patch in this thread.

There is no substitute for honing skills, practicing them and planning ahead. As a motorcyclist planning to survive out there, you must be able to recognize situations that present risk and always see your "out". Sometimes that means slow down and be wary of whatever trick that cager might be about to pull. And then you use your brakes, your throttle, the bike's handling and your skills to avoid a crash. Don't put yourself in a situation where you have to be pushing the bike's performance envelope to avoid the bad result.

Dr. Hurt of UCLA first published a report around 1978 on the statistical probabilities in motorcycle crashes. My takeaway was "when you see 'this' situation be very, very wary." There have been follow ups and other related studies. Forum member "James Burleigh" has discussed and linked to some of that if you want a way to find it. For the most part it's just common survival sense mated with driving and riding experience and knowing that cagers very often just don't see us, but reading that kind of thing focuses it. You need to recognize potentially dangerous situations instantly, instinctively set up to avoid the potential problem and ride through or to your out. All we can really do is minimize the risks.

I wasn't there, and won't judge when I don't know distances, speed or other circumstances. Sometimes bad shit visits you without any way to have seen it coming or avoid it. But in the vast majority of cases, what the rider does before the incident makes all the difference and a better handling bike is the least determinative factor. And as Patch says with his pitcher analogy -- it doesn't do you any good to have the other driver determined to be at fault when you're in the morgue.

To answer your question, though -- an FJR will out-handle, out-brake (esp with ABS) and out-accelerate a V-Star all day long. But that may be the least important part of the whole experience. Best to you if should decide to keep riding.

DAYUM!! Not again! It's the f'ing low performance mouse's fault that I keep crashing into the back of my edited post. :blink: :blink: :blink:

As I was reading though your posts, I noticed that you twice mentioned about leaning up into the bars instead of just leaning to the side. It seems that you are also missing a very important aspect about motorcycle control. Countersteering. Instead of trying to explain it, just watch this video. This is the best way I have seen countersteering explained. Excuse the Korean subtitles. I'm at work and it was the first link I ran across. I showed this to an R-1 rider at work after he didn't believe my explaination, and came back to work after a weekend and told me he couldn,t believe how much better the bike cornered!! And he has ridden for 10+ years. I wish I could find a video this good about controlled braking.

Good luck to you on what ever decision you make about continuing to ride or not!

As I was reading though your posts, I noticed that you twice mentioned about leaning up into the bars instead of just leaning to the side. It seems that you are also missing a very important aspect about motorcycle control. Countersteering. Instead of trying to explain it, just watch this video. This is the best way I have seen countersteering explained. Excuse the Korean subtitles. I'm at work and it was the first link I ran across. I showed this to an R-1 rider at work after he didn't believe my explaination, and came back to work after a weekend and told me he couldn,t believe how much better the bike cornered!! And he has ridden for 10+ years. I wish I could find a video this good about controlled braking.

Good luck to you on what ever decision you make about continuing to ride or not!

I think yer reading too much into what the OP has said. He didn't say he was "leaning forward" to turn the bike, only that it handled better doing that.

And he's right. Any time we get our upper body weight off the grips, and relax our arms (lean forward) it means we aren't fighting input into one side by having our weight on the other side (handlebars).

"Emergency Swerve" and "Emergency Braking" are 2 of the most important skills taught in the BRC. But the 2 are never suppose to be done together, not enough tire traction. Sounds to me like the OP has already identified most of what he did wrong "came up on the car too fast". While I'm sure he'd benefit from the BRC skills, situational awareness was a big part of this... I.E. Watch out for people doing really really dumb things...

Oh yeah, and wear yer gear all the time ;)