I can't get it up

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I enjoy riding a wheelie responsibly. This is the first bike of the 33 I've owned that can't do it. Very disappointing.
Don't let the door hit ya where... and etc.

You not only bought the wrong bike, you chose the specific model in the line up that would be the worst example to try it with.

Hey, playinatwork, I wheelie mine all the time. If I see you on the BMRx, I'll let one rip!
omg2.gif

(You'll help me pick it up, right? )

(Imagination and sarcasm, Tim; sorry. When I wheelie -- very rarely, always accidentally, and never more than three or four inches -- it surprises me.)

Last edited by a moderator:
My Stingray Lemon Peeler was a friggen wheelie machine! :punk:
My stingray converter kit from the bike shop turned a ratty old bike into the same thing. I could ride that wheelie as long as I wanted.
To the OP, you want to pull up on the handlebars at the same time you push down hard on the pedal. I know it's fuckin Friday, but I thought I'd help!

Was going to say something helpful until I noticed three things:

1. it's Friday.

2. OP is from Florida.

3. He not only used the word "responsibly" in the same sentence as "wheelie", he put the two words right next to each other.

I enjoy riding a wheelie responsibly. This is the first bike of the 33 I've owned that can't do it. Very disappointing.

You not only bought the wrong bike, you chose the specific model in the line up that would be the worst example to try it with.
Purdie much ^THIS^

If'n I wanted ta wheelie, I'da bought me a gen I. Clutch, shorter wheel base, lower gearing FTW

Purdie much ^THIS^If'n I wanted ta wheelie, I'da bought me a gen I. Clutch, shorter wheel base, lower gearing FTW
Iffn I wanted to wheelie, I would be touring on my Gixxer with polished rims.

But since I don't have one, I'll have to settle for goosing the throttle when Louanne is on the back.
biggrin.png
biggrin.png

OOps...it's Saturday. Nevermind.

My 07 would wheelie with no problem. get the revs up to 5-6k in first, let off the throttle and chop it back to full throttle, instant wheelie. I havent tried it on the 14 and only did it a few times on the 07, my sportbikes, different story but the fjr isnt made for wheeling but she will do it with no problem.

I can Wheelie out of second with the Gen 1, but again we're not talking about an ES.

So I have to ask, what's a wheelie? I used to ride behind good ES riders like Bodie, and on a curvy switchback road, he would totally kill it. Learn the strengths of your bike, and quit having regrets. Like anything else, there are pros and cons to the tool you're using. Know where it is superior, and use it, and offer a consolation beer when you aren't raising the front-end off the light. Besides, you have a dirt bike. I am a bit reluctant to bounce off dirt shoulders, and can't match the wheelie of a good dirt bike; on the other hand, it's great to see the guy with painful ass try to roll on the miles and speed I can on the road.

Garauld's stiffy kit and a sack of cement in the topcase should help your wheelie dilemma responsibly.

BTW, wheelie method for my Gen 1 is: open throttle all the way in first gear. Get your weight forward or it may be a short ride. No clutching, no off/on throttle action. For further entertainment, shift quickly to second.

Garauld's stiffy kit and a sack of cement in the topcase should help your wheelie dilemma responsibly.
BTW, wheelie method for my Gen 1 is: open throttle all the way in first gear. Get your weight forward or it may be a short ride. No clutching, no off/on throttle action. For further entertainment, shift quickly to second.
Finally, a responsible wheelie bit of advice.