I could use some quick assistance with mounting a N/Line dash

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BLS

Reaction score
I bought a used dash shelf and it didn't come with any of the screws or standoffs/spacers.

The instructions don't show these spacers very well and I'm stuck trying to figure this out.

Questions:

1. Can someone take some photos of the standoffs and mounting brackets so I can guesstimate how long they are?

2. Do I need to buy longer screws to accomodate the standoff length (my assumption is yes).

2a. Does anybody know how long they are (if they are indeed longer)?

3. It looks like I have to drill a hole in the fairing (not looking forward to that). How did you mount it? Plastic snap in? Did you put anything under the metal to keep from scratching the plastic fairing?

Any tips/links threads, advice would be great.

I can answer a few of the questions. I may have a chance to take some photos next week when I return home. The following info is valid for a Gen II install.

2) You will need longer screws.

2a) From memory I think the spacers were approx 3/8". I would purchase a screw at least 1/2" longer than stock.

3) You do not have to drill a hole in the fairing. The shelf came with a round 3M dual lock velcro piece that is used to attach the shelf to the fairing. You can buy the same from Home Depot etc. I found that the dual lock was not adequate by itself to retain the shelf in place against the fairing. I used 2 black ties fed through the holes in the front bracket and secured it around the front top fairing vent. Pics will help but initially the dual lock will work.

Going from memory, the screws were 20 and 25mm, and can be a bit shorter if you want. The rubber washers are about 1/4" thick to get you slightly above depth of the recessses in the fairing parts. No drilling, but the dual lock will not hold up. You could drill a hole and put in a rubber insert nut, or like Karsten, I just zip-tied mine along with the dual loc and it's been ok for the last couple of years.

I put one on my gen2, it rattled like crazy, kept hitting the windshield raising arms. The vendor took it back and gave me a full refund.

I can answer a few of the questions. I may have a chance to take some photos next week when I return home. The following info is valid for a Gen II install.
2) You will need longer screws.

2a) From memory I think the spacers were approx 3/8". I would purchase a screw at least 1/2" longer than stock.

3) You do not have to drill a hole in the fairing. The shelf came with a round 3M dual lock velcro piece that is used to attach the shelf to the fairing. You can buy the same from Home Depot etc. I found that the dual lock was not adequate by itself to retain the shelf in place against the fairing. I used 2 black ties fed through the holes in the front bracket and secured it around the front top fairing vent. Pics will help but initially the dual lock will work.
I would appreciate the pics if you get a chance.

I want to say 20mm and 25mm long screws were used with washers and spacers. I have more info when I get home in 2 days.
Any chance to get measurements and/or some pics possibly?