I did it.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good for you! I am confident you will continue to be thrilled with your new ride. I am! Any bike takes some getting used to, and unfortunately as a newer rider, tip overs are a rite of passage. Most of the reason for starting with smaller (cheaper) bike is to get the learning curve out of the way with less damage and cost. As you get more comfortable with your bike, and riding in general the fatigue, soreness etc. will be replaced by childish grins and a desire to ride more and more. (my personal experience. YMMV).

Enjoy your new bike, and welcome to the fraternity!

Tom

Unfortunately, there is no MSF course where I am. At least not the kind that you have in the US. But I'm still looking around for something similar. If there is, I'd surely sign up for one.

@Patriot, thanks for the explanation and pic on the slider.

@Checkswrecks, Thanks. Actually, there are plenty of big bikes where I am - Harleys, ST1300s, Hayabusas, R1s, Ducatis... I think most of them - but its only become common in recent years. But FJRs are not a common sight - I've only seen one other FJR on the road and I also know a fellow forum member that also owns an FJR who's in Kuala Lumpur. So in that sense, I'm still quite unique :)

Congrats! I've only had mine for a couple months, but I love it. For a short guy like me it is a little heavy at stops, but at speed it carries the weight very well. The frame sliders will be a good addition. I haven't dropped it yet, but I know it's just a matter of time.

Hello Nik,

Once you get use to riding the bike and relaxing a bit more the arm fatigue will go away for the most part. The handlebars are easily adjusted and you may want to eventually try a different position sometime. Not sure if the dealer told you but the seat is also adjustable. Check to make sure it is in the lower position for your height.

Since you have bought an 08 one fault I have had with mine was a stalling issue when taking off. Took it back to the dealler and they said they couldn't find anything. After stalling in several intersections and almost dropping the bike a couple of times I ended up getting a PCIII. It cured the problem and hasn't stalled since. I hope you don't get the same problem.

Keep smiling and enjoy the ride.

Dave

I hope you love yours as much as I love mine. Just received Frame Sliders and bar-end weights from Motovation. I haven't put them on yet so no results to report. I had the same forearm and wrist problems they have eased the longer I've had my fjr (8mos). Ride safe.

Congrats on the bike!

The FJR was my first one as well and I had a few 0 speed tip overs too. Ride the bike in parking lots for several miles over the next few days to get used to the low speed manouvering. It will help you a great deal.

When you are ready for some more challenging riding, remember not to decelerate into a curve. I did that and payed by hitting the ground. The bike will want to stand up on you if you are off the throttle in the curve. You need to decelerate before the turn, set up properly for the outside - inside - outside line (if you dont know what that means, its ok, grab a good book on motorcycle riding) and then accelerate through the turn.

Remember, the bike wants to be stable above 7 mph or so. Learn to trust that balance and instead correct the bike as needed.

Congrats! I've only had mine for a couple months, but I love it. For a short guy like me it is a little heavy at stops, but at speed it carries the weight very well. The frame sliders will be a good addition. I haven't dropped it yet, but I know it's just a matter of time.
I'm pretty short too and have the same complaint about it being heavy at stops. Especially sudden stops. But I'm getting the hang of it. I've being doing some workouts to help strengthen my legs and hope this will help in the long run.

Since you have bought an 08 one fault I have had with mine was a stalling issue when taking off. Took it back to the dealler and they said they couldn't find anything. After stalling in several intersections and almost dropping the bike a couple of times I ended up getting a PCIII. It cured the problem and hasn't stalled since. I hope you don't get the same problem.
Keep smiling and enjoy the ride.

Dave
Now that you mention it, I have stalled before, but only a couple of times. But I attributed it more to me not used to the clutch than anything else. Now that I'm familiar with that zone in the clutch where the engine "catches" (I don't know how else to describe it), I haven't had any stalls. But in any case, I'm still thinking about getting a PCIII regardless. I'm still reading up on what are the other benefits of it.

Thanks for sharing your experiences, its helping a lot.

Nik.

Congrats as well! The more you ride this bike the better it becomes. She is somewhat of a top heavy girl, but once you learn to dance she is light on her feet. And she will get you in over your head with the combo of the power and the weight so take your time....just be safe, PM. <>< ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats on the bike!
The FJR was my first one as well and I had a few 0 speed tip overs too. Ride the bike in parking lots for several miles over the next few days to get used to the low speed manouvering. It will help you a great deal.

When you are ready for some more challenging riding, remember not to decelerate into a curve. I did that and payed by hitting the ground. The bike will want to stand up on you if you are off the throttle in the curve. You need to decelerate before the turn, set up properly for the outside - inside - outside line (if you dont know what that means, its ok, grab a good book on motorcycle riding) and then accelerate through the turn.

Remember, the bike wants to be stable above 7 mph or so. Learn to trust that balance and instead correct the bike as needed.
Thanks for the tip Braenen - especially the bit about decelerating into turns. I did not know that. I'm glad you told me else I might have found out the hard way. I do know to never slam on the rear brakes in mid turn as the bike will stand up and I always set up before going into a turn - select the right gear, accelerate through when the exit is in view, etc. And I am quite familiar with outside-inside-outside as I have some of track time with karts and cars but thanks. Its always good to be reminded.

Congrats as well! The more you ride this bike the better it becomes. She is somewhat of a top heavy girl, but once you learn to dance she is light on her feet. And she will get you in over your head with the combo of the power and the weight so take your time....just be safe, PM. <>< ;)
Thanks painman. I'm getting more and more comfortable with the bike. I actually took it to work today - in seriously heavy traffic. And when it was time to go home, there was a thunderstorm. I waited out the heavy rain and rode in the drizzle - and again in heavy traffic - until I got on the highway - then it was smooth. So far all is good. I'm starting to like this bike more and more. :)

Unfortunately, there is no MSF course where I am. At least not the kind that you have in the US. But I'm still looking around for something similar. If there is, I'd surely sign up for one.
@Patriot, thanks for the explanation and pic on the slider.

@Checkswrecks, Thanks. Actually, there are plenty of big bikes where I am - Harleys, ST1300s, Hayabusas, R1s, Ducatis... I think most of them - but its only become common in recent years. But FJRs are not a common sight - I've only seen one other FJR on the road and I also know a fellow forum member that also owns an FJR who's in Kuala Lumpur. So in that sense, I'm still quite unique :)
This will help you out a ton. great insight on slow speed maneuvers.

https://www.ridelikeapro.com/

Congrats on the bike!When you are ready for some more challenging riding, remember not to decelerate into a curve. I did that and payed by hitting the ground. The bike will want to stand up on you if you are off the throttle in the curve. You need to decelerate before the turn,

set up properly for the outside - inside - outside line

(if you dont know what that means, its ok, grab a good book on motorcycle riding) and then accelerate through the turn.
Thanks for the tip Braenen - especially the bit about decelerating into turns. I did not know that. I'm glad you told me else I might have found out the hard way. I do know to never slam on the rear brakes in mid turn as the bike will stand up and I always set up before going into a turn - select the right gear, accelerate through when the exit is in view, etc. And I am quite familiar with outside-inside-outside as I have some of track time with karts and cars but thanks. Its always good to be reminded.
No, No, No

"Stay right, Stay alive"

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=14858

It is deadly to be anywhere near the middle double yellow line if a SUV, 18 wheeler, or RV Motor Home accidently crosses over coming the other way on a two lane highway. You will not be able to see what's happening and react in time. If you are in the right track of the road at all times, there is room to your left for another vehicle that crosses to go by. Yes, line of sight is lessened in a right hander, but so what. In the left track, you will just see the vehicle sooner just before being plastered on the left side of his bumper. In the right track, you have a fighting chance for it to just be a "close call".

I am here to type this because of Toecutter preaching this life saving technique. Riding along the Okoee River on that winding two laner, 18 wheelers are coming in the opposite direction and no way can they stay in their lane in tight turns.

And in the Smokies on winding roads, tired and non-attentive RV drivers are plentiful.

[SIZE=24pt] "STAY RIGHT, STAY ALIVE" [/SIZE]

is a real serious technique to keep you safe.

let's ride safe and be careful out there,

Mike in Nawlins'

( I do know to never slam on the rear brakes in mid turn as the bike will stand up )

Just remember you have linked ABS on there , so when you slam on the rear it also slams on the front (and by then your ABS will kick in)

Congrats on the new bike , & remember the more you ride the FJR , the more you get that permanent smile stuck on your face :D

Patriot, why the need for a TOG if you have a slider?
well, if you don't repeat this, the real answer is none...it came with the TOG's (purchased used) and I added the R&G Sliders soon after

but I'll always reply in public that I need somewhere to mount my Stebel Air Horn !!!

3469318274_7c3cf1ea54.jpg